Contribute
Register

GenMachine Ren5000

@phunguss whats the smallest hackintosh you’ve built?. I’ve read about LattePanda measuring 115x78x14mm, but I haven’t seen many of those here. The Ren5000 is 114x106x37.5mm, is there a smaller hack out there?.

@phunguss whats the smallest hackintosh you’ve built?. I’ve read about LattePanda measuring 115x78x14mm, but I haven’t seen many of those here. The Ren5000 is 114x106x37.5mm, is there a smaller hack out there?.
I think most of the new mini-PCs follow the NUC footprint just before Intel stated they were dropping the NUC platform. When I started with Cube's, Mini-ITX was my rage, and when I discovered Mini-STX, I bought 5 of those. I was never fond of the soldered on NUC processor, until I got one... then I got several more.

I have looked at the LattePanda and its documented Hackintosh capabilities in the past, but being a constrained budget builder, it has always been priced out of my desire. I believe at this time, it is the smallest Single Board Computer capable of running Windows/Hackintosh(intel). My first hack was a dell mini 10v on an Atom processor, which I recently did to an HP Mini 110 ($8 at Goodwill) for the retro feel.

If and when anyone cracks the SOC code, then there are tons of micro single board computers featuring ARM processors. Then my 3D printer will be busy...

4NUC-ATV.jpg

4 NUCs and a Gen1 Apple TV running 10.6.3

@Edhawk hello. So I made a couple of small changes to @Leesureone EFI attached below. It's booting so that's not an issue, but if I update it to OpenCore 0.9.8 from 0.9.4 I get the same KP as pictured in post #48. Did you get that issue Lee?, would you mind taking a look Ed, SMBIOS has been removed. TIA.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.5 MB · Views: 18
I don't see anything wrong or untoward in the EFI above, when looking at it as an 0.9.4 EFI. Not too sure why you would need to update OC to 0.9.8 yet, as it is still under development.

Biggest difference between your EFI and Lee's EFI is you don't have the USB ports configured. You are not using the XhciPortLimit quirk.

@craighazan , just found the "Intel Compute Stick", not the powerhouse you are currently using, but they come in Atom and Celeron versions, would be interesting to see one hacked and compare speeds to a LattePanda.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/intel-compute-stick-core-m3 (old 2016 review)
and lots of other brands

There are already a couple threads here in the forums on the compute stick.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong or untoward in the EFI above, when looking at it as an 0.9.4 EFI. Not too sure why you would need to update OC to 0.9.8 yet, as it is still under development.

Biggest difference between your EFI and Lee's EFI is you don't have the USB ports configured. You are not using the XhciPortLimit quirk.
Do I need a USB ports configured?, there’s only four ports!.

@craighazan , just found the "Intel Compute Stick", not the powerhouse you are currently using, but they come in Atom and Celeron versions, would be interesting to see one hacked and compare speeds to a LattePanda.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/intel-compute-stick-core-m3 (old 2016 review)
and lots of other brands

There are already a couple threads here in the forums on the compute stick.
I’d like to see those threads involving the sticks, for a hackintosh on the go they seem ideal. I will point out though that the 5700U isn’t quite as good as the 4700G in terms of graphics. Still good enough for me and the GameCube Mod, but I did notice lower frame rates and less clarity when compared in DIRT Rally. What impresses me most is the amount of power it consumes, literally sipping from the wall socket, 3.7GHz on 2W!.

Yes, you need to create a custom USBMap.kext. As the ports may not be set with the correct connector type by macOS (automatically).

Yes, you need to create a custom USBMap.kext. As the ports may not be set with the correct connector type by macOS (automatically).
Oh… I’ve never actually done a USB map.

Really simple to do, especially if your system only has a few USB ports & headers. Like most of Corpnewt's python scripts it follows a simple process.
  1. Run the USBMap.command.
  2. Discover the ports, (Option D from the menu) using the necessary USB pen drives/devices (USB2, USB3 &/or Type-C)
    1. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 22.51.58.png main menu
    2. Some port may be automatically discovered, with device names shown below the Cyan coloured port.
    3. Take a screenshot to record these ports for use later when you have a copy of the kext and want to add a comment or need to check the connector type automatically discovered is correct.
    4. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 22.54.52.png Port discovery screen,
    5. Naming option at bottom of the list of ports.
  3. Provide Names for the discovered ports (Press N key and Enter while USB pen/device is discovered).
    1. This will make them easy to identify, i.e. front USB3 left or front USB3/2 left for example of two companion ports from a single front of case connector.
    2. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 23.00.31.png Nickname screen
    3. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 23.00.43.png Port 5 - Nickname in Magenta text below port.
  4. Stop discovery phase once all ports available have been found/identified.
    1. Press Q to stop discovery and return to main menu.
  5. Edit and create USBMap.kext (option P)
    1. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 23.03.41.png Edit USB port screen.
    2. Examples on how to change connector types etc. are at the bottom of the screen.
    3. So in the example above Port 5 is set as USB3, we know it is a USB2 port served from a Header, so it needs to be changed to connector type Internal (255).
    4. To do this we would enter the following: T:5:255
    5. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 23.06.49.png Change Type for port 5
    6. Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 23.07.37.png Port 5 is now set with Connector Type 255
  6. Set correct Connector Type for each discovered port.
    1. Remember that the built-in Bluetooth will want to be set with an Internal (255) USB port connector type.
  7. Disable Empty ports (option D).
  8. Export USBMap.kext & USBMapLegacy.kext (Option B) for both new and older versions of macOS.
  9. Quit USBMap.command.
  10. Add the USBMap.kext to your OC Kexts folder and add a companion entry to the config.plist for the new kext.
    1. The legacy kext is only for use in macOS Mojave and older.
  11. Disable the XhciPortLimit quirk.
  12. Save config.plist
  13. Reboot system
  14. Use ResetNvramEntry from OC boot screen.
  15. Boot in to macOS and test the ports to ensure they are set correctly.
Couldn't be simpler!

Back