Contribute
Register

General Questions - Admins, can you make these stickies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS H97I-PLUS
CPU
i7-4785T
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Greetings, all!

In searching for information on how to fix my hackintosh, I notice alot of similar threads, threads that go unanswered, threads that belong in different sections, etc.

And while we may have different models and brands of laptops (I am referring to laptops specifically here), I think the inner workings are essentially the same, so a fix for a Dell laptop should be similar (hopefully!) to one for an Asus!

Hopefully we can get stickies made for these general questions, and from there you can find information that will help you with your particulary laptop, to make the board cleaner, and easier to navigate. This will avoid having 10 pages on how to fix audio for every brand of Gateway laptop ever made!

Thanks for your consideration! Here are a few questions and topics I think would be helpful, please feel free to add more!

-------------------------------------------

How to install Tiger (10.4)
How to install Leopard (10.5)
How to install Snow Leopard (10.6)
How to install Lion (10.7)
How to upgrade from Tiger (10.4) to Leopard (10.5)
How to upgrade from Tiger (10.4) to Snow Leopard (10.6)
How to upgrade from Tiger (10.4) to Lion (10.7)

How to upgrade from Leopard (10.5) to Snow Leopard (10.6)
How to upgrade from Leopard (10.5) to Lion (10.7)
How to upgrade from Snow Leopard (10.6) to Lion (10.7)

How to troubleshoot Audio problems

How to troubleshoot Video problems

How to troubleshoot Shut Down problems
How to troubleshoot Sleep problems
How to troubleshoot Restart problems

How to troubleshoot WiFi problems
How to troubleshoot Ethernet problems

How to troubleshoot Battery problems
How to troubleshoot Power Adapter problems

How to troubleshoot USB problems

What is a kext?
Do I need kexts?
What are the advantages of a kext?
What are the disadvantages of a kext?
Can I write my own kext?
How to write your own kext
Can I modify a kext?
How to modify a kext
What is a DSDT?
Do I need a DSDT?
What are the advantages of a DSDT?
What are the disadvantages of a DSDT?
Can I write my own DSDT?
How to write your own DSDT
Can I modify a DSDT?
How to modify a DSDT
Can I use kexts and a DSDT together?

Hi seemajor7,

you need to review the Resources section at the top left of the Home page http://www.tonymacx86.com/ and the Forum page http://www.tonymacx86.com/index.php as most of your suggestions are covered there

Rule 10:- Snow Leopard & Lion Only.
The tools and utilities are not compatible with Tiger or Leopard. Therefore no discussions of installation methods are allowed http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php#f0r9

Laptops
"6) Installing on a non-Apple laptop is a science experiment. You will most likely have issues with things like graphics, networking (wired and/or wireless), power management, sleep, integrated cameras, battery status, etc." http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=24846&start=0

I do agree with you in principle seemajor7, it would be great to see a layout like what you suggest :think:

Hey, Robbish!

Thanks for the response!

Okay, that "Resources" link is pretty neat, I didn't know about it, so thanks for the info!
Sorry for violating Rule 10, too, I was trying to be all-inclusive with my "T*ger" suggestions, I shoulda known it went the way of the saber-toothed tiger! :D

Laptops seem to be a "beast" all their own, and anything is possible, I guess the confusion comes in trying to convert the wealth of information for desktops and modify it to work on portables!

Might I offer another suggestion, and ask that there be a forum created for "Laptops" under the "Post-Installation" heading? This would help keep the laptop/desktop topics separate, and would allow help to be given to more specific areas of concern!

This site is great, I'm glad to be a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back