Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Freezes and Crashes!? Oh my!

Hello people of tonymac!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-z68-ud3 (with uefi update)
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
GPU: HD Radeon 6870
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb (TRIM enabled with multibeast)
Backup HDD: 1tb Hitachi HDS721010CLA332
OS X 10.9.4

I built this computer about 3 years ago planning on making it a hackintosh. However, I only recently actually made the switch to mac.
So anyways, installation and everything went fine. I followed tony mac's directions... used uni beast and multibeast. Everything works Great!

However, I have noticed significant instability. I have frequent chrome webpage crashes, and sometimes apps will crash as well. It is not unusable, however, the crashes are quite frustrating. I use this computer for school so I want it to be as stable as possible. I have had to fresh install twice now due to the drive becoming unbootable -- usually this happens when I mess around in "disk utility" (Not playing with the boot drive... When it crashes, I have all my important data on google drive or "copy".)
Does anybody have any suggestions to prevent these frequent freezes/crashes?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

You and I have near-identical core hardware specs and I am rock-solid stable. Since you have a i2500k series processsor it begs the question; are you overclocking at all? What speed are you running your RAM at?

Thanks for the quick response. I am not currently over clocking. I figured I would not mess with that quite yet.
Is there anything else it could be? I am quite puzzled as I know this build is known to be reliable.

As for RAM: I have 2x4 gb of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.
(Crucial Technology: BL51264BA160A.16FH)

Sorry to bump, but I would really like to have this problem resolved. Apps and web pages continue to crash. I can provide more information about my software or system if anybody needs it.

Try running the RAM at 1333mhz for a while (turn off XMP "Profile 1" in the BIOS) and see if it gets any better before we try anything else.

Thanks for the response!
It looks like my XMP profile was already disabled. Here is a picture.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/HPEisgreat/IMG_4162.jpg

Also, upon restarting my computer, my external Time Machine backup drive became corrupt for some reason. The problem was fixed right up with Disk warrior, however, It baffles me as to why it happened in the first place. Are these issues in any way connected?

i doubt if the problem with the drive is related but who knows? :crazy:

OK, if your memory profile is default and you're not overclocking I am less certain it could be a memory problem. HOWEVER.....

I spent some time looking at the Memory Support List for your motherboard on Gigabyte's site (both 1.0 and rev 1.3 since you didn't specify) and could not find your Crucial memory in the list.

To eliminate a bad (not necessarily incompatible though) memory stick remove one, boot and see how stable you are. Then repeat with the other memory stick.

If still crashing/freezing my next step would be to (temporarily) disconnect all other drives except the main OSX drive, boot and run for a bit. I am assuming you'll know within a reasonable amount of time if it's any better.

If no better plug all your drives back in and then look to the PSU as a possible culprit. What PSU do you have?

EDIT:

Actually, before everything else, try running your RAM at 1333mhz for a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to help me! You are amazing!
Anyways, before I even got the chance to switch my ram frequency my main drive crashed. Disk repair failed on it. Its frustrating, but I have all my information backed up so its no biggie. So now I have the wonderful opportunity of a clean install. I have done this twice already. Usually the computer is somewhat stable at first, and then slowly more more app crashes happen.

Anyways, my power supply is the Corsair CX600.

As far as RAM, I will try running it at 1333 Mhz.
I'll also try removing the memory to see if one is bad.
Is there a program that can test memory? On a google search I found a program called "Memtest86"

I used memtest86 on each memory stick one at a time. One of them came up with about 18,000 errors. I removed that stick and will see how things work out! I will post here if I have more problems. Otherwise, you can assume it is fine! Thanks so much for your help. I wouldn't have been able to identity the source without you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back