Contribute
Register

General - Difference between Vanilla and UniBeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
SYWZ S200 (aka eGlobal S200 box)
CPU
i7-8850H
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. SE
  3. Xserve
  4. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can someone please explain to me what is the different between vanilla install with clover and Unibeast ?

I tried yesterday to install on my new S200, but could not get UniBeast to recognize my external USB 2.0 SSD. Tried to use a USB 3.0 stick in my USB 2.0 HUB. This worked in my laptop to downgrade the USB to something compatible. Also did not work. All my >4GB USB sticks are USB 3.0.

Then I did a vanilla install, that is create the installer disk on SSD. Used Clover to install bootloader. Installed the kexts people normally use and config.plist. Did not work.
Then I copied Clover folder contents over (except the uefi64.bin (or whatever it is called - assumed it would have to match clover). Did not touch install media. So expected it to work.

But during boot, it hangs after complaining about unknown NVMe. Not really hangs, no kernel panic, and without verbose the progress bar keeps running for 5+ minutes.

Just picked up a 32GB USB 2.0 stick, so I can use UniBeast tonight.

But I still wonder, what is the difference ?

I read somewhere, that UniBeast touches / modifies the actual installer image partition, not only UEFI partition. What does it do extra ?
I know I can always just compare the USB when created with my SSD installer image and find the changes myself. But I try to understand what difference it makes.

I read somewhere, that UniBeast touches / modifies the actual installer image partition, not only UEFI partition. What does it do extra ?
That's false information propagated by individuals who don't know what they're talking about. UniBeast automates the so-called vanilla method. UniBeast saves time and your possible mistakes in the Clover installation. So, beginners are better off using the 'Beasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back