General Build Advice and Boot Method Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm currently planning my first-ever hackintosh build: a CustoMac Pro with these main components, straight from the January Buying Guide:
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
Core i7-6700K
Corsair H60 (Water)
EVGA GTX 960 Super Clocked
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (16GB) (for now :3)
2 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III (one for each OS)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Corsair RM 650x Watt
Corsair Carbide 300R

First, I'm curious about everyone's general thoughts on this build. I intend to use it as an all-purpose computer, but with an emphasis on gaming (mostly in Windows). The intent is for this to replace my 2011 iMac, mainly because I'm tired of not being able to easily upgrade anything on my Mac computers other than RAM. I likely won't be doing 3D rendering or anything on it, and I'm not interested in 4K gaming (1080p is fine for me). I'm just curious if people here think this will do fine for my purposes.

Second, since I intend to use two separate SSDs (one for Mac OS and one for Windows), I was wondering if I needed to use the typical bootloader, etc. from the guide or if I can just use the standard UEFI and press F12 at boot. I'm pretty sure I'll still need Unibeast/Multibeast, but I wanted to double-check. If I do need Unibeast/Multibeast, do I just follow this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Third, I was curious about any pitfalls others might be aware of that might apply to this build. For example, drivers, incompatibility, things to be aware of when actually building the physical computer, etc.

Fourth, I'm planning on adding an Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro to this computer soon after it's up and running properly. Will that even go in this motherboard? I realize that card won't likely work under Mac OS, but since I do most of my gaming in Windows, that's not really a problem.

1. It should do what you want.

2. You need to use the Clover boot loader. Yes, follow the guide.

3. Check the Golden Builds and User Builds sub-forums to see what others have done. There's a wealth of information there.

4. Installing macOS doesn't affect what you do in Windows.

Yeah. I figured that was the case for #4. So I saw that under Step 2, part 16 in that guide, it says this:
"Clover Note: UniBeast delivers basic bootloader support based on our testing on recommended CustoMac systems. For further bootloader customization, download and run the official Clover package. Advanced users may also compile Clover by downloading the full source."

So I need to run the Clover package after creating the USB drive, or instead of it for more advanced boot options? And do I even need the advanced boot options if it's my first time and I'm using parts from the guide?

Edit: also, nice Neji avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back