Contribute
Register

Geforce GTX 570

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't... largely because I'm too n00b to this to be trusted without a detailed step by step... I mean... zero ambiguity!

But I certainly could, I already have my GTX 580s BIOS saved from GPU-Z... however, it's a custom EVGA and not a standard NVIDIA since my card is a Superclocked.

Of course, if you go to techpowerup.com you can download your BIOS using their VGA BIOS database.

But again, I stress that using the HEX string in my Boot.plist in safe mode shows everything correctly in System Profiler right down to my BIOS version, etc. Just no QE/CI.

I firmly believe it's a support issue since it works in Safe Boot but not Normal Boot... we just need to narrow down the difference in how it's handled between the two modes and isolate the cause and figure out the solution as none of the normal workarounds for 4xx and under seem to work.

@mwparrish, we have exactly the same card.EDIT: NVM, I have the 570 :p The different clock speeds dont really mean anything. If you have time soon, it would be awesome if you could get the rom file, and tell chameleon to use the .rom file. I dont expect it to work, I would just like to know if there is a difference in performance/what happens, that way I have a jumping off point once I start my build tonight.

@Wimmm

Without messing with really anything I was able to get as far as you. I removed GeForce.kext, and I was able to get multi-monitor support with resolution, but no QE/CI.

Buuuuutttt. My audio is now broken. All of my outputs say Digital-out (HDMI) Did this happen you you?

EDIT 1:
System Profiler returns

D13U:

Chipset Model: D13U
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1280 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1081
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 70.10.17.00.74

I am about to try a 10.6.6 beta and see if anything changes.

brockwitting said:
@mwparrish, we have exactly the same card.EDIT: NVM, I have the 570 :p The different clock speeds dont really mean anything. If you have time soon, it would be awesome if you could get the rom file, and tell chameleon to use the .rom file. I dont expect it to work, I would just like to know if there is a difference in performance/what happens, that way I have a jumping off point once I start my build tonight.

Yeah, I use VBIOS=Yes and boot in verbose mode as well and I see it report the info correctly to inject but no injection appears to occur. Once the driver is loaded it loads as the generic NVIDIA GPU w/ 32MB.

I don't think saving the ROM and injecting that would make a difference, honestly. Doesn't mean we can't try it though and test the hypothesis!

Also, removing GeForce.kext does absolutely nothing to solve the problem, sadly.

brockwitting said:
has anyone tried grabbing the .rom from windows and using that with the bootloader?

I have been trying with the 580, which the 570 is a close match to.

I have tried the 580, 570, 480, 460 and Quadro 4000 BIOSes. All give me the same results...black screen on loading of desktop. Also, if you start messing with BIOSes, I would check the size of it. The 580 was the first card with a BIOS over 64k, Chameleon will truncate NV BIOSes to 64k, I had to make a change to one of the branches and compile my own version to even mess with them.

There are changes in 10.6.6 beta that seem like they may help but it is missing the a key file: NVGF100Hal.kext

Pretty sure the one in circulation isn't going to work with our cards, I have tried every method available (DSDT, EFI, GE, plus a couple of desperate moves of my own - lol), including trying each method under both 10.6.5 and the 10.6.6 beta2

EDIT: Attaching the updated Chameleon with >64k NV BIOS fix

Attachments

• rc5-693-nvfix.rar
    366.6 KB · Views: 84
so, shaithis,

In your opinion, do you think we will find a solution even when the final 10.6.6 launches? And I will use your version of the bootloader, I am testing currently with the latest trunk build from iFabio over at insanelymac, and I believe it has that fix, but I can't recall. Does the gtx 570 device ID need to be added to the bootloader? I seriously hope we can get some 5xx love here soon :p It is a shame to see this card go to waste. And I litterally mean go to waste, I refuse to use windows :p

brockwitting said:
so, shaithis,

In your opinion, do you think we will find a solution even when the final 10.6.6 launches? And I will use your version of the bootloader, I am testing currently with the latest trunk build from iFabio over at insanelymac, and I believe it has that fix, but I can't recall. Does the gtx 570 device ID need to be added to the bootloader? I seriously hope we can get some 5xx love here soon :p It is a shame to see this card go to waste. And I litterally mean go to waste, I refuse to use windows :p

Well, we know folks have gotten 5xx to work in 10.6.6 without QE/CI so I'm confident that one way or another that can be resolved as well.

I'm confident they'll figure it out. There's not a huge market for Fermi cards on Macs but there's enough of a market to warrant Apple and NVIDIA supporting it even if it isn't included in their base/custom builds.

mwparrish said:
Well, we know folks have gotten 5xx to work in 10.6.6 without QE/CI so I'm confident that one way or another that can be resolved as well.

I'm confident they'll figure it out. There's not a huge market for Fermi cards on Macs but there's enough of a market to warrant Apple and NVIDIA supporting it even if it isn't included in their base/custom builds.

Well, I have my 570 working just fine in 10.6.5 with no QE/CI, it is the QE/CI that I am really after, because without it, this card is essentially useless. I wish nvidia would just bite the bullet and release a real OS X driver package for all of their cards. There is no reason not to as real Mac Pro users could benefit as well.

brockwitting said:
@Wimmm

Without messing with really anything I was able to get as far as you. I removed GeForce.kext, and I was able to get multi-monitor support with resolution, but no QE/CI.

Buuuuutttt. My audio is now broken. All of my outputs say Digital-out (HDMI) Did this happen you you?

EDIT 1:
System Profiler returns

D13U:

Chipset Model: D13U
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1280 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1081
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 70.10.17.00.74

I am about to try a 10.6.6 beta and see if anything changes.

nope no problem with my audio , I use VoodooHDA.kext 'MSI soundcard realtek',and sorry Im on windows now ..relaxing ..need to clear my mind ,to much time on getting my SLI 570 to work on my Hackintosh :)

So we both got this far with no QE/CI, now we got to find out why the system does not boot to the desktop with GeForce.kext loaded when we specify pciroot etc in device properties. My NVDAGF100Hal.kext is loaded and registered so I think we are pretty close.

Also If someone could look into the audio that is send over HDMI. Because one of the differences between older GTX cards and the newer ones, is that audio is send over HDMI through pcie and not via spdif connection cable to videocard. Maybe this blocks something.
I remember the logs error.. like 0x9e 'Nvidia HD Sound' not being correct.
I could check if my audio over HDMI is working but I WILL NOT BOOT THAT DISK I need an early sleep hehe...
And no bios.rom wont do the trick, and searching the GraphicsEnabler=yes way did not help me it gave me the 1024x768 resolution, I want to make it work with EFI strings and good drivers.
Later on I compile everything into DSDT.aml but first I need these drivers to work like start with my EFI string now and also load Geforce.kext
Ah and I also found that there is GUI for Chameleon somewhere, it makes changing things in com.Apple.boot.plist easier

Tomorrow I return I have a couple of ideas.

And I hope my English is .. but then, this is not an English summercamp.
Time for a Duvel!

Finally got the full res support... this is exciting... but of course without GeForce.kext there's no QE/CI.

But this is progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back