Graphics
MSI Geforce GTX 960 2G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a i5-4670k, an MSI Z87-G45 with a modded bios, and a EVGA GTX 550 Ti 2 GB edition. I've had lots of freezing on OSX Yosemite and I have finally linked the freezing to the video card. I personally use chimera as my bootloader and I use the following:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=0 dart=0 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>&quot;1920x1080x32&quot;</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

This will get you up and running for the most part, but when you start to play any sort of games or do anything graphics related, you'll most likely run into freezing. Make sure that your smbios is set to "iMac14,2" or which ever mac product is closest in specifications to your own system. If you don't know how to do this, in Multibeast under the customize tab and system definitions, you'll find iMac, Mac Pro, etc. Choose the one that best fits your system based on relative parts. After you have done that, you're going to want to edit the "AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext" info.plist within the kext and make sure under "IOProviderClass" it is set to the same as your smbios one. For example, I put "iMac14,2". This also helps fix freezing on boot when it tells you that it is apparently "Waiting on IOProviderClass". People have said to use freezefix in the past for GM110 GPUs, but it no longer does anything on Yosemite (at least for me). After completing this, your system should be freeze-free when it comes to GPU related tasks!

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

I have a i5-4670k, an MSI Z87-G45 with a modded bios, and a EVGA GTX 550 Ti 2 GB edition. I've had lots of freezing on OSX Yosemite and I have finally linked the freezing to the video card. I personally use chimera as my bootloader and I use the following:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=0 dart=0 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>&quot;1920x1080x32&quot;</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

This will get you up and running for the most part, but when you start to play any sort of games or do anything graphics related, you'll most likely run into freezing. Make sure that your smbios is set to "iMac14,2" or which ever mac product is closest in specifications to your own system. If you don't know how to do this, in Multibeast under the customize tab and system definitions, you'll find iMac, Mac Pro, etc. Choose the one that best fits your system based on relative parts. After you have done that, you're going to want to edit the "AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext" info.plist within the kext and make sure under "IOProviderClass" it is set to the same as your smbios one. For example, I put "iMac14,2". This also helps fix freezing on boot when it tells you that it is apparently "Waiting on IOProviderClass". People have said to use freezefix in the past for GM110 GPUs, but it no longer does anything on Yosemite (at least for me). After completing this, your system should be freeze-free when it comes to GPU related tasks!

Hi Aaron,

try booting with with the flag GraphicsEnabler=No as Nvidia cards no longer need injection in 10.10, also if you're updated to 10.10.1 it adds more Nvidia compatibility.

give that a go and see if it helps.

I've tried that multiple times, but no luck. I'm stuck using GraphicsEnabler=Yes... When I boot up setting it to no, it boots up correctly, but the screen tells me the cable is disconnected as if the GPU itself turned off. GraphicsEnabler set to Yes works 95% for me; GPU acceleration, OpenCL, and native resolutions and stuff work great out of the box, I just get random crashing when playing games on steam or changing my desktop background. Those 2 things trigger it the most. It never happens on Intel Graphics.

I had already tried removing that as well. Decided to try to reinstall OSX Yosemite. Didn't have too much installed on it, so it was no big deal for me. Turns out I've solved it! After a near stock installation of Yosemite, installing the latest nvidia web drivers did the trick! No more freezes! :clap:

CONCLUSION: For anyone with a Geforce GTX 500 Series GPU that has traced their hackintosh freezing down to something graphics related, install and use the nvidia web drivers.

I had already tried removing that as well. Decided to try to reinstall OSX Yosemite. Didn't have too much installed on it, so it was no big deal for me. Turns out I've solved it! After a near stock installation of Yosemite, installing the latest nvidia web drivers did the trick! No more freezes! :clap:

CONCLUSION: For anyone with a Geforce GTX 500 Series GPU that has traced their hackintosh freezing down to something graphics related, install and use the nvidia web drivers.

I built my buddy a nice build on the cheaper end with future expansion in mind I will be giving him my old GTX 550 TI from my old rig and wanted to make sure this did in fact work. Thank you in advance.

Hello friend!
I have a 550 Ti too, and getting some freezes that i need to force manually to restart it, and when get back appears a message telling that a graphic error has happened.

I'm some sort of new to hackintoshes, and i want to ask if you can explain better this part of editing the IOProviderClass string?

I searched inside the info.plist of it the kext, and I found the IOProviderClass string like this:

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPlatformPluginDevice</string>

Is this the line i need to change? What is the change needed to make? I'm using the iMac 14,2 too.
And have installed the web drivers from Nvidia.
Currently at 10.10.1, planning to update do 10.10.2

I appreciate for your help. Thanks

I got my buddies build but can only use integrated graphics not the 550 ti chip I had the newest drivers and CUDA rebooted with a black screen. Anyone got a fix for this?

Uhhhhgggg, big mistake. It's not necessarily your fault though. I made the same mistake the first time. The Nvidia CUDA drivers are meant to work with nvidia cards, but with my experiences, the CUDA drivers caused constant freezing and crashing. Follow the instructions I found on this How-To below. Hope this helps Tyler!

http://youtu.be/xS617-I1fF8?t=5m58s

I'm some sort of new to hackintoshes, and i want to ask if you can explain better this part of editing the IOProviderClass string?

I searched inside the info.plist of it the kext, and I found the IOProviderClass string like this:

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPlatformPluginDevice</string>

Is this the line i need to change? What is the change needed to make? I'm using the iMac 14,2 too.
And have installed the web drivers from Nvidia.
Currently at 10.10.1, planning to update do 10.10.2

This is what I meant by changing the "IOKit" stuff in the AGPM Kext.

Simply open the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext file
Untitled.jpg
Edit the info.plist
Untitled2.jpg
Search for "MacPro4,1"
Untitled3.jpg
Replace that line with iMac14,2 if thats what you are using for Mac OSX as your smbios
Untitled4.jpg

This should get rid of any stutters and increase the performance of your card. If you still get freezing, remove CUDA if you havent already (link to the removal video in my post above). Also, try playing around with the smbios a bit. Try MacPro 3,1 4,1 and 5,1 and various iMac ones and find the one that is closest to your computer CPU wise or one that just functions the best. This one is kind of weird but if you install the AutoCAD 2015 Trial (you don't even need to run it i dont think) it replaces some graphics configurations to work better with the hardware installed (pretty bazaar but that also worked for me).

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. After patching the AGPM kext, DON'T FORGET to Repair Permissions with either Kext Utility (3rd Party Tool) or Disk Utility (Built-In to OSX).

EDIT 2: If this doesn't in fact work for you, just work backwards by replacing the value you put as iMac14,2 back to MacPro4,1 and you should be back to the way it was.

Hope this helps rfwagner! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back