Contribute
Register

Gaming/Editing Rig Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I just thought of... Will having those GPU's installed cause any issues?

They're not (currently) supported in OS X, so should I need to make any changes to tell OS X to not try and use them?

All I can think of is the graphicsenabler=no flag, which is on by default anyhow.

Unless you are running a dual boot machine with Windows and want them installed for that, I would just not install them until the support is there.

I guess you could hook them up, but make sure the cables run from the motherboard I/O and change the monitor settings in the BIOS to iGPU and not PCIE.

Along the same line as solidww, have you looked into how SLI works in OSX. I am not sure of the specifics, but I have read that its not the same as in Windows. Something to look into!

Along the same line as solidww, have you looked into how SLI works in OSX. I am not sure of the specifics, but I have read that its not the same as in Windows. Something to look into!

Last I knew, SLI didn't work in OSX at all. I'd be interested if I was wrong.

As for booting, I plan on dual booting off of my Crucial MX100 a Windows 8.1 Pro and Mavericks 10.9.5.
Think I'll get any issues with those GPU's installed normally?

Edit: I'm actually making the boot drive now. USB to Sata cable FTW!

I don't mean to rain in on your parade. Do you need OSX?
For editing and gaming Windows7/8 should be more then enough.

I am with you on those 970s though. :)

Somehow I missed your post. Sorry about that! :crazy:
And honestly, I don't need OS X. I don't even need this computer. But personally, I like the challenge of the build, and getting it all to work. Plus the fact that I love the Mac OS, but hate the hardware (and price premium) for "Official" Apple.:shh:

I use Abelton, Logic Pro, Traktor Pro 2, and Adobe CC 2014. So although a lot of those are offered on Windows, I simply enjoy them more on OS X. It's truly a much faster and lightweight system. Things are simple and beautiful. But if I want power and versatility, to Windows I go! Thus the reason I'm trying a dual-boot.

(Also looks good on an IT resume if you're good with both OS X and Windows. ;) )

Somehow I missed your post. Sorry about that! :crazy:
And honestly, I don't need OS X. I don't even need this computer. But personally, I like the challenge of the build, and getting it all to work. Plus the fact that I love the Mac OS, but hate the hardware (and price premium) for "Official" Apple.:shh:

I use Abelton, Logic Pro, Traktor Pro 2, and Adobe CC 2014. So although a lot of those are offered on Windows, I simply enjoy them more on OS X. It's truly a much faster and lightweight system. Things are simple and beautiful. But if I want power and versatility, to Windows I go! Thus the reason I'm trying a dual-boot.

(Also looks good on an IT resume if you're good with both OS X and Windows. ;) )

Ok. Good, as long as your goals are understood. You actually need OS X. How else will you run Logic Pro? Considering your not interested in paying the Apple Tax ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back