Contribute
Register

GA-Z97X-UD7 TH (rev. 1.0) Success with OS do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all -

I'm not sure if thunderbolt is working on this mobo for me. I've seen another post nothing I may have to install windows drivers for the motherboard for thunderbolt to work in Mavericks.

I have tried to use a thunderbolt network adapter - and note that it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any comment on that?

Thanks in advance.

Update on sound (for me) -

Now I'm not sure if audio output wasn't working with a standard multibeast install - because after applying the changes in Mavericks: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA [Guide], I saw that the lime output doesn't work. One needs to use the orange or black output... I'm using the black output, and have audio on one of my "Line Out" outputs.

I had only been using the headphone jack in front (which worked) and the lime output in back (which never worked)

Hope that helps.

Hey all -

I'm not sure if thunderbolt is working on this mobo for me. I've seen another post nothing I may have to install windows drivers for the motherboard for thunderbolt to work in Mavericks.

I have tried to use a thunderbolt network adapter - and note that it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any comment on that?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you need to install the Gigabyte Thunderbolt drivers, which means Windows needs to be installed as well.. Once the driver is loaded, I believe a Thunderbolt device needs to be detected in Windows first before Thunderbolt capabilty is 'unlocked' in OS X (I have used a device as simple as an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter to achieve this) . Once this occurs, you would no longer need to boot into Windows and you could completely remove it from your machine with no ill-effect.

Also Windows does not need to be activated to install drivers, so you can use any Windows 7 disc or an ISO file which is available for free download from Microsoft..

Good luck and let us know how this works out!

Yes, you need to install the Gigabyte Thunderbolt drivers, which means Windows needs to be installed as well.. Once the driver is loaded, I believe a Thunderbolt device needs to be detected in Windows first before Thunderbolt capabilty is 'unlocked' in OS X (I have used a device as simple as an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter to achieve this) . Once this occurs, you would no longer need to boot into Windows and you could completely remove it from your machine with no ill-effect.

Also Windows does not need to be activated to install drivers, so you can use any Windows 7 disc or an ISO file which is available for free download from Microsoft..

Good luck and let us know how this works out!

I messed up something -

I installed Windows 8.1 per other threads, got Thunderbolt working - but now, when I try to reboot into Mavericks, I get to the grey Apple startup screen, get a longer wait icon, and then see an icon that looks like "do not enter" over the apple logo.

Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks for any info...

Update:
- My Mistake: I was having trouble installing Windows 7 (I had a key) and had flipped my bios to use IDE over AHCI - I needed to switch my BIOS back to AHCI and everything is working - even Thunderbolt!

Update:
- My Mistake: I was having trouble installing Windows 7 (I had a key) and had flipped my bios to use IDE over AHCI - I needed to switch my BIOS back to AHCI and everything is working - even Thunderbolt!

Great to hear!

I would like to know if any additional icons in the upper-right corner appear when a Thunderbolt device is connected, or if the time/date, wifi or bluetooth icons randomly dissapear at all..

This has been an issue I and others have experienced with Z87 UD5 TH when using Thunderbolt devices and I'm hoping that is not the case with this gen...

I will eagerly await your findings!

Great to hear!

I would like to know if any additional icons in the upper-right corner appear when a Thunderbolt device is connected, or if the time/date, wifi or bluetooth icons randomly dissapear at all..

This has been an issue I and others have experienced with Z87 UD5 TH when using Thunderbolt devices and I'm hoping that is not the case with this gen...

I will eagerly await your findings!

I'm also awaiting said findings!

Thanks to this thread and Forum, I was able to successfully install Mac OS on this MoBo. I decided to celebrate by installing Windows 7 and updating the Bios to the latest version (F4), because what could possibly go wro...oh sh*t, kernel panic..

:banghead:

The current state is that the previous installation is getting stuck somewhere around FakeSMC, and booting from a Unibeast thumbdrive gives me a kernel panic ("a freed zone element has been modified"). This seems like a memory issue, except that it only panics when attempting to boot from unibeast. It's either a bios setting or a problem with the new bios itself. Has anybody run into the kernel panic listed above?

Okay - tried resetting bios to optimized default one more time, disabled VT-d and on-board graphics, and the unibeast booted perfectly. After about a week of trying this without any success, only to have it work after posting about the problem, I can only assume that the users of the forum have serious magical powers!

Fixed the "FakeSMCkeychain: Starting" hang - the answer is to disable turboboost in bios -> M.I.T. -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced C.P.U. Core Settings. So far so good - just need to install the audio driver from MultiBeast and then NOT TOUCH ANYTHING until Yosemite :)

I've been following this thread with great interest, and am on the edge of ordering a z97x-ud7 - just a few quick questions.

1/ I read in another thread, that some have "usb freeze" issues with 9 series boards, any of you guys experiencing that with your ud7's?

2/ Some mentioned that with thunderbolt enabled, your pci-e gfx cards - like gtx7xx etc, dont work. Does anyone here have thunderbolt working and enabled while NOT using the built in intel graphics, and instead using a nvidia card?

3/ Last question, how stable does the setup seem, do you peeps get occasional kernel dumps or similar?

4/ Whoops just thought of another one. Any issues running 32gb of ram or all 4 slots populated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back