Contribute
Register

GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Freezing with GTX760 - Onboard graphics OK - HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Aorus z390 Ultra
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
1080ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hey guys. I've been struggling with stability on this build for the last year. Everything is working 100%, system is fast and performing well. That being said, it does freeze randomly sometimes a few times a day.

System:

• Mavericks 10.9.5
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
  • i7-4770K
  • VGA GTX 760
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

TEST:
I created a small youtube playlist and played it on a loop overnight. With the GTX760 installed, it would freeze at some point during the night, just like while I'm working on the machine.

As a test, I removed the GTX760 and used onboard graphics and it ran all night until Chrome crashed. The system was still running. I've done this test twice now and the system remains running.

RAM checks out GOOD using Rember.

BIOS: set for optimized defaults. Ram is set to Profile1 for 1600 operation. Onboard graphics disabled.

So this leads me to three possible causes:

1. The EVGA GTX760 is bad.
  2. The GA-Z87X-UD5 TH is not compatible with the GTX760
  3. The Bios needs to be flashed. I'm at F2 (will double check)

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new GPU, possibly the
EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Sounds like I'd need to update to Yosemite) - hoping it is in fact #1. Also hoping if its #2 that this new GPU works better with the GB board. Any chance it's #3?

I need a faster GPU anyway so I'm OK using that as a starting point. It would be a shame to have to replace the GB board as well afterwards, but I need this system stable and not freezing. It's for professional video editing and I spent a full year struggling with mid work freezes.

Would I be better off with two GTX760 Maverick supported GPUs or a single GTX980 with Yosemite?

WWTM86D?

Am I on the right course?

I've attached my current Unibeast build.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 9.44.09 AM.png

THANK YOU for your help everyone!!!!!!!!!

Some things you could try :

I'm not sure that you need 3rd Party SATA or USB 3 Universal - Try removing those.

Disable your on-board graphics.

Change your system definition to iMac14,2.

Good Luck

P1LGRIM,

Thanks for the reply.

the 3rd party SATA and USB 3 Universal were recent additions. System froze before without either.

Have recently disabled onboard graphics in the BIOS. I'll update that in my first post.

Was previously running a 14,1 definition. I could try 14,2.

It's been so frustrating... given the components and configuration it should be a golden working build.:banghead:

Thank you!

Humm, I have seen many have this problem. Try running with half of the DDR3 memory removed from alternate sockets.

Good modding,
neil

Neilhart,

System just froze while trying to reply to this post!

I have tried 1/2 DDR3 running, still resulted in freezing.

So I had freeze free operation with the onboard graphics overnight. Running the GTX760 since this morning and had my first freeze 2 hrs into operation.

I could try another motherboard and see if it gets along better with the GTX760 or the Corsair RAM, which I've read could be another possible issue. IF a new board does not fix this, I'd have to turn back to the GTX760 as the culprit.

At last that's one possibility on moving forward...

Neilhart,

System just froze while trying to reply to this post!

I have tried 1/2 DDR3 running, still resulted in freezing.

So I had freeze free operation with the onboard graphics overnight. Running the GTX760 since this morning and had my first freeze 2 hrs into operation.

I could try another motherboard and see if it gets along better with the GTX760 or the Corsair RAM, which I've read could be another possible issue. IF a new board does not fix this, I'd have to turn back to the GTX760 as the culprit.

At last that's one possibility on moving forward...

If you haven't already, take a look at this thread too :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/125717-fix-gigabyte-4-dimm-memory-instability.html

Thank you.

Read up on the post and the following replies. I've now updated my BIOS to F5f (was F2) - I'm hoping this newer (but still beta) BIOS version has better support of 4DIMM ram.

I'll run a few Youtube tests as I did before with the new BIOS + GTX760. If I get a freeze, I'll move to the next option which is manually increasing the voltage of the ram and other, somewhat foreign to me settings :)

The question still stands though: If I was crash free using the onboard only graphics, does this mean it's not a RAM issue but more likely a motherboard capability issue with the GTX760?

Thank you everyone.

PS - whoever helps solve this issue, and is a beer drinker I'd be more than happy to ship you some Heady Topper :)

Thank you.

Read up on the post and the following replies. I've now updated my BIOS to F5f (was F2) - I'm hoping this newer (but still beta) BIOS version has better support of 4DIMM ram.

I'll run a few Youtube tests as I did before with the new BIOS + GTX760. If I get a freeze, I'll move to the next option which is manually increasing the voltage of the ram and other, somewhat foreign to me settings :)

The question still stands though: If I was crash free using the onboard only graphics, does this mean it's not a RAM issue but more likely a motherboard capability issue with the GTX760?

Thank you everyone.

PS - whoever helps solve this issue, and is a beer drinker I'd be more than happy to ship you some Heady Topper :)

What is the rating of your power supply ?

Maybe with the graphics card installed it's struggling. Just a thought.

What is the rating of your power supply ?

Maybe with the graphics card installed it's struggling. Just a thought.

Using a Cooler Master V850 - 850W Power Supply.

I've got lots of multitasking going on right now after the BIOS flash update. Fingers crossed that got the Motherboard to play better with the RAM, and even possibly the GPU.

So far guys after the F5f BIOS update I've been running freeze free! Ran Youtube on loop all night without any crashing, even Chrome was more stabile this time around.

I'll keep you all posted. I should have flashed the BIOS to F5 months ago.. Better late than never I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back