Contribute
Register

ga-z87n-wifi can't get to install screen, help requested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte ga-z87n-wifi 4GB RAM
CPU
Intel pentium G3220 lga1150
Graphics
built in
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I am building my second hackintosh to upgrade my original. I have the gigabyte ga-z87n-wifi motherboard with the pentium 3220 cpu. Eventually I will upgrade the cpu but all I am doing is file serving for the home, so this is enough for now.

I am trying to install mountain lion and it keeps getting stuck before the install screen.

Here is what I have done:
1) created the install usb using unibeast 3.0
2) loaded optimized defaults on the uefi
3) set the uefi to internal graphics for boot screen
4) made sure the only drive connected was in sata port 1
5) made sure the uefi was in ahci mode
6) unplugged everything except 1 usb keyboard and 1 usb mouse
7) connected to a monitor via the upper hdmi port (another thread suggested that for this mb)
8) booted using no flags and every combination of flags I could think of

and still it freezes at the same point every time. The verbose screen goes blank when it freezes but I took a video and the last 2 lines are:

Starting Darwin x86_64
Boot Args: boot-uuid-98628DB3-0ESE-3190-88E8-97A7C4AD577C rd="uuid PCIRootUID=1 -v GraphicsEnabler=No

and then the screen goes blank and it hangs.

I have tried:
using the dvi port
using the other hdmi port
using a graphics card
lots of different flags, ncpi, graphicsenabler, -x, pcirootuid, -v

Anyone have any ideas as to what is missing? Others seem to have gotten this to work.

Thanks
Jason

Some progress:

I read that the g3220 cpu doesn't have the right integrated graphics so I went into uefi and disabled that and put in the evga NVidia gt240 that I had in my old hackintosh. Then I switched to trying to install Mavericks for the haswell support.

It failed on an Ethernet driver so I tried with the -x flag it now gets farther but it still hangs. The final lines of the verbose output are:

BSD root: disk1s1, major 1, minor 4
hfs: mounted USB_OSX on device root_device
XPCM: registered

Any ideas?

Hi jlittle,

I am experiencing the same issue with the same Pentium and wondering if perhaps Mavericks lacks support for the G3220 altogether. I got creative and popped my startup drive into a working Ivy Bridge Mavericks machine and installed the upgrade from there (resulting in a drive that would boot Mavericks on my Ivy Bridge machine no problem), but when I put it back in my Pentium build I got the same kernel panic you're getting. I'm using a GT 610 as my graphics card, so it doesn't appear to be related to the unsupported onboard graphics on the G3220.

I posted a screen shot of my verbose boot over on this thread. Does that match up with what you're experiencing?

I took a look at your screen shot and that's exactly where mine hangs too.

I ended up buying an i3-4330. I replaced the g3220 with the i3, changed nothing else, and was able to install everything with no issues. So I think you may be right about the pentium class not being supported.

It looks like you got the pentium to work under mountain lion - I couldn't get ML to work with the pentium either, although my mb is slightly different.

The g3220 is half the price of the 4330 so I'm disappointed that I couldn't get it to work.

How's the build now? Everything working?

With the i3-4330, yes everything is working, including sleep. (With Mavericks).

I never did get the g3220 to load to the install screen.

I have the same error, have anyone find out how to fix this? I am using i7 3.5 Ghz 4770K

Intel HD gfx in the CPU is not supported - you need a gfx card to install and see the screen.

Intel HD gfx in the CPU is not supported - you need a gfx card to install and see the screen.

not necessarily true. mavericks installs cleanly on intel HD 4600 (i7 4770K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back