Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - Sporadically booting, IOPCIFamily problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread as I have been having the same problem,

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
Core i7 with HD4000 graphics
Thunderbolt displays,

I have had 2 thunderbolt displays hooked up to the mb and have been getting the same kernel panic from IOPCIfamily.

After many attempts to rectify the issue I am thinking it is the thunderbolt display. When I use a non thunderbolt display i get no kernel panics, even after 10 or so resets.

On the bright side, when it does boot, both displays work well.
For what its worth, both Ubuntu and Windows seem to have no trouble handling the system, so I am skeptical about it being a hardware issue.

Zoggels,

Am not sure if you are aware but the manual for the Gigabyte Z77X UP5 TH board says specifically for the correct use, you can only connect the displays to the Port 1, and that between the two displays connected to Thunderbolt Port 1 you must have a Thunderbolt storage device connected in-between the two displays.

Tried to update this thread earlier, but for some reason my post was held back for moderation :-/

Anyway, the new CPU arrived and got the Hackintosh working again.

Thanks for your help Middleman and solidWW, much appreciated.

Hi middleman,

I have the displays configured as described in the manual, one on each of the thunderbolt ports. This is the way I have always had it connected. All is working well now, as I found there was a hardware issue with one of the thunderbolt displays. One which apple kindly repaired for me. The only issue I have now is to do with sleep/wake.

I must admit, the thunderbolt displays do have a "mind of their own" sometimes powering off etc. Not really ideal. But I can't seem to find any information on how to rectify this.

Interestingly, OS X recognises the display on one port as an internal display, but this is not consistent. Sometimes is recognises both displays as external.
sysprofthunderbolt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back