Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm the proud owner of a new GA-Z77X-UP4 TH and I'm stuck getting to the Mountain Lion installer screen.

I've done about half-a-dozen hackintosh builds, and several dozen installations so I wouldn't call myself a noob.

The system consists of the following: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, i5 2500K, 1 x 4GB 1333MHz DD3 and a 128GB Kingston SSD.

I have used Unibeast 1.5.2 to create a bootable USB drive and have booted with -v -x

Upon each boot I am always getting stuck with "waiting for root device"

This always happens after the lnx2mac ethernet kext has loaded.

Any advice?

I have not encountered this issue personally so anything I suggest is not based directly in personal experience. That said you could start with this page and see if you find anything

www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/62346-comparison-gigabyte-ivy-bridge-boards.html

about ethernet compatibility. If you don't find anything that helps there you might have a bad copy of the installer, and you could try erasing and recreating the installer usb drive. let me know how it goes i'm thinking about this board for a new build

Well, I have got the installer to run.

It was a USB isusse, I have had to use one of the internal USB 2.0 headers to connect the installation drive.

I haven't had a chance to run multibeast yet.... I'll report back.

Thought I'd save a few bucks using the GA-Z77X-UP4 TH

I've built maybe 9 Hackintosh systems, most were Gigabyte boards. This one has me stuck at the Apple logo (after realizing that the motherboard only saw my PSA keyboard). I've ordered a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and I'm beginning to suspect the issue is the VIA Chips. Started with -v and found the dreaded AppleHDA error, restarted with -x -v and it stopped cold after checking Bridge chips. Another start with NoGraphics set, got to the Apple logo screen. Everything stopped, no blinking on the USB.
Using the onboard Intel 4000 chip rather than my evga 460 Nvida card (pulled out and sitting on the case)
My setup:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Corsair Vengeance16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) CML16GX3M2A1600C10
OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155
Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 180 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch
Thermaltake Frio Advanced Universal CPU Cooler Dual 130mm VR/PWM
Evga 460 Extreme
Apple Cinema 30, Viewsonic 17 incher for control screen

OK . . . As I write my Mac Pro Tower (early 2008) making another USB Key (my 3rd time through) Will report once again.

Everything works perfectly, setup the machine using Windows 7 Ultimate on another SSD. No overclocking but this setup yields 7.9 on all the Windows tests . . . Perfect for my ultimate goal of having a Graphics workstation for Mac and PC. Apple has no interest in supporting their faithful Final Cut Pro users (I own all from FCP7 through 10 including CS6).

I now have a bootable system, though I need to use -x at this stage.

I have run Multibeast, choosing "User DSDT", "Repair Permissions" and "Lnx2Mac Ethernet Kext". I'm using integrated graphics and it is being recognised by the OS, System Profiler is reporting it as HD3000 with 64MB Shared VRAM. I'm stuck on 1024x768 resolution at the moment, hardly ideal but it works. Sleep isn't working either, when I put it to sleep the screen goes white and all the fans keep running, it does "wake" for the white screen.

I plugged in a Sonnett Echo Express 34 Thunderbolt to Expresscard34 adapter with a TI based Firewire 800 card installed, and to my delight it showed up as a Firewire 800 bus in system profiler. As reported elsewhere nothing shows up in the Thunderbolt section of System Profiler.

Anyway, that's enough Hackintoshing for the day.

Good news!

I just installed a Apple ATI HD5770, booted up and bingo! I've now got a bootable system without the need for -x.

*None of the back panel USB 3 ports are working
*Ethernet is working with Lnx2Mac's Driver in Multibeast
*Sleep Works

Once I've tested some more I'll report back.

I've built maybe 9 Hackintosh systems, most were Gigabyte boards. This one has me stuck at the Apple logo (after realizing that the motherboard only saw my PSA keyboard). I've ordered a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and I'm beginning to suspect the issue is the VIA Chips. Started with -v and found the dreaded AppleHDA error, restarted with -x -v and it stopped cold after checking Bridge chips. Another start with NoGraphics set, got to the Apple logo screen. Everything stopped, no blinking on the USB.
Using the onboard Intel 4000 chip rather than my evga 460 Nvida card (pulled out and sitting on the case)
My setup:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Corsair Vengeance16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) CML16GX3M2A1600C10
OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155
Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 180 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch
Thermaltake Frio Advanced Universal CPU Cooler Dual 130mm VR/PWM
Evga 460 Extreme
Apple Cinema 30, Viewsonic 17 incher for control screen

OK . . . As I write my Mac Pro Tower (early 2008) making another USB Key (my 3rd time through) Will report once again.

Everything works perfectly, setup the machine using Windows 7 Ultimate on another SSD. No overclocking but this setup yields 7.9 on all the Windows tests . . . Perfect for my ultimate goal of having a Graphics workstation for Mac and PC. Apple has no interest in supporting their faithful Final Cut Pro users (I own all from FCP7 through 10 including CS6).

Try using EVGA 460 while installing.

Well, after days of headaches I got ML installed on my new build with GA Z77 x UP4 TH.. but.. I have no audio, only on the Logitech wireless headset.
Just to let you know in case it could help someone, I had to install from my Unibeast USB with GraphicsEnabler=NO.
I went then with Multibeast but only flag on System Utilities and Chimera (standalone) and this was a mistake (for me at least)*. I tried later all the suggested solutions for audio with no success (maybe I missed some). No rear panel usb (VIA) working for now.
* I mean I have always to boot choosing the USB first (with older Chimera) and then I can boot ML from there. If I try to do it without this step, it doesn't work.

Now I'm really tired and hot (35° here at 10 pm) but I'll try tomorrow and report.
In the meanwhile good luck and of course any suggest is appreciated.
Ciao
P.S.
I had to put the AMD out and put a Nvidia GeForce GT 640 2048 MB for I was not able to do the 6000kext thing.

Out of interest, what CPU are you using?

I have Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30 Ghz. BTW I reinstalled the old Chimera and now I can boot and everything is working but audio. I didn't try anything yet for the USB ports even if , after reading some posts, I don't know if there is actually a solution. Maybe with new incoming Multibeast...

That's good to know you have the same CPU as I do. Are you using the HD3000 graphics or an external card?

I haven't tried to get audio yet, and may not, I'll be using an external audio interface with it. As for USB3, I'm not going to hold my breath for that to work. I'll just use the internal USB2 headers with brackets.

Have you run Geekbench yet to see how it performs? I'm getting 9991 (64Bit Intel). I would expect this should get at least 12K with a bit of work.

Seems like I have similar problems here.

Only one of my back USB ports is working? I have the mouse plugged in here. If I try to plug my keyboard into the port, it does not work. The keyboard only will work in the front panel USB port.

I have no audio, and sleep does not work.

Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 11.36.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-07 at 11.36.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-07 at 11.36.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-07 at 11.37.35 PM.png

Build is as follows:

Corsair 500R Case
3770K i7
GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Motherboard
32 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
120 GB SanDisk SSD
2 TB HDD
Corsair H60 Water Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back