Contribute
Register

GA-Z77-DS3H problem with SPDIF out (10.8.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thanks for the great input toleda! For completeness sake, here is the link to my ASUS S/PDIF SA Board:
http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/mb_accessories.htm
(the S/PDIF OUT/COA+OPT Module)

After installing the patched AppleHDA.kext, a new Audio Out appears in Sound Prefs (a second "Digital Out" - I understand this is the result of duplicating and copying in the Platforms.xml) and my attached DAC now gets a phase lock - this is a first for my hackintosh.
That board is useful to other GA-Z77-DS3H owners that need the poorly documented missing optical connector.

My mistake; should not be "Copy and paste the current SPDIFOut (last item)." Should be "Open the current SPDIFOut (last item)." The title of the customization is correct; Substitute SPDIF-2 Wire Output and that is what was meant in the procedure.

There cannot be an Item 6 in the pathmap. Delete the Item with the original SPDIFOut. Save and Reinstall the edited AppleHDA.kext.

Success! This fixed it, I ve got it working perfectly. The coax is working fine up to 96 kHz / 24 bit. So this is finally the edit I applied:

Code:
diff -r AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist AppleHDA_WORKING_2012-10-03.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
63c63
< 					<data>IUccECFHHUAhRx4RIUcfASFXHCAhVx0QIVceASFXHwEhZxwwIWcdYCFnHgEhZx8BIXcc8CF3HQAhdx4AIXcfQCGHHEAhhx2QIYceoSGHH5AhlxxgIZcdkCGXHoEhlx8CIaccUCGnHTAhpx6BIacfASG3HHAhtx1AIbceISG3HwIh5xyQIecdYSHnHksh5x8BIfcc8CH3HQAh9x4AIfcfQCEXHPAhFx0AIRceACEXH0A=</data>
---
> 					<data>IUccECFHHUAhRx4RIUcfASFXHCAhVx0QIVceASFXHwEhZxwwIWcdYCFnHgEhZx8BIXcc8CF3HQAhdx4AIXcfQCGHHEAhhx2QIYceoSGHH5AhlxxgIZcdkCGXHoEhlx8CIaccUCGnHTAhpx6BIacfASG3HHAhtx1AIbceISG3HwIh5xyQIecdYSHnHksh5x8BIfcc8CH3HQAh9x4AIfcfQCEXHKAhFx0BIRceQyEXH5k=</data>
diff -r AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml AppleHDA_WORKING_2012-10-03.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml
662c662
< 								<integer>30</integer>
---
> 								<integer>17</integer>
666c666
< 								<integer>6</integer>
---
> 								<integer>16</integer>

I can recommend the ASUS SPDIF SA board to owners of the GA-Z77-DS3H, it is quite easy to get working and adds an optical and a coax SPDIF out.

BTW, I attached my hackintosh's coax out to a newly acquired pair of these: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileDSM1.html
I am still blown away. These are really excellent and currently seem to be sold off for quite cheap. And you can drive them directly from your GA-Z77-DS3H :) (I use soundflower for adjusting the volume).

I also want to report that I had success following toleda's instructions from the link in first page.

However I used a bracket (instead of Asus one) that I had kept from 7 years ago that came with a Gigabyte motherboard:
(this is why I'm such a hoarder ;) )
Gigabyte Accessory Page (S/N : 12CR1-1SPAUD-12 6-Channel Audio Combo Kit)

I had to cut one end of the bracket's cable so I could attach it to the 2-pin on Z77-DS3H (rev 1.0)
(followed the second pin config in this image)
Then I used the black cable that came with motherboard, attached the red one from that cable to the white
one from Gigabyte's bracket and then ground to black/ground from bracket. This worked without the need
to supply +5V to pin no. 1 (red one at the end of bracket).

Attached are PIN config and the bracket just in case Gigabyte's website is unaccessible.

Attachments

• 3-eng.jpg
    3-eng.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 705
  • img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 816
  • img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 660
Success! This fixed it, I ve got it working perfectly. The coax is working fine up to 96 kHz / 24 bit. So this is finally the edit I applied:

Code:
diff -r AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist AppleHDA_WORKING_2012-10-03.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
63c63
<                     <data>IUccECFHHUAhRx4RIUcfASFXHCAhVx0QIVceASFXHwEhZxwwIWcdYCFnHgEhZx8BIXcc8CF3HQAhdx4AIXcfQCGHHEAhhx2QIYceoSGHH5AhlxxgIZcdkCGXHoEhlx8CIaccUCGnHTAhpx6BIacfASG3HHAhtx1AIbceISG3HwIh5xyQIecdYSHnHksh5x8BIfcc8CH3HQAh9x4AIfcfQCEXHPAhFx0AIRceACEXH0A=</data>
---
>                     <data>IUccECFHHUAhRx4RIUcfASFXHCAhVx0QIVceASFXHwEhZxwwIWcdYCFnHgEhZx8BIXcc8CF3HQAhdx4AIXcfQCGHHEAhhx2QIYceoSGHH5AhlxxgIZcdkCGXHoEhlx8CIaccUCGnHTAhpx6BIacfASG3HHAhtx1AIbceISG3HwIh5xyQIecdYSHnHksh5x8BIfcc8CH3HQAh9x4AIfcfQCEXHKAhFx0BIRceQyEXH5k=</data>
diff -r AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml AppleHDA_WORKING_2012-10-03.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml
662c662
<                                 <integer>30</integer>
---
>                                 <integer>17</integer>
666c666
<                                 <integer>6</integer>
---
>                                 <integer>16</integer>

I can recommend the ASUS SPDIF SA board to owners of the GA-Z77-DS3H, it is quite easy to get working and adds an optical and a coax SPDIF out.

BTW, I attached my hackintosh's coax out to a newly acquired pair of these: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileDSM1.html
I am still blown away. These are really excellent and currently seem to be sold off for quite cheap. And you can drive them directly from your GA-Z77-DS3H :) (I use soundflower for adjusting the volume).

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, but what is this code? How do we put it in our system? I'm struggling to get some sound via SPDIF out. I have a pretty similar config. Everything works fine on Windows.

Followed all steps, deflated zlib and changed the values, then changed the values in the hardwareconfig info.plist rebooted and it still isnt working. Any tips? There is a part that says "fix PinConfig" which I couldnt locate what to do, unless that is what they mean by the next part changing those strings of alphanumeric characters?

When it says change the values, I determined our boards is Pathmap 8? Pathmap 289 correct? then going into the siblings I selected item 4 as it says to select the last one.

After all stated changed I installed with kext wizard and rebooted but no luck.

edit: I did just notice in the hardwareconfigdriver.kext that each "pathmap" under hdaconfigdefault has the same initial codec id, 283, which is not ours correct?

Followed all steps, deflated zlib and changed the values, then changed the values in the hardwareconfig info.plist rebooted and it still isnt working. Any tips? T
Are you on a GA-Z77-DS3H? If not, what motherboard? What codec (codec 283 is not supported) The guide tells you how to find the right pathmap. It also notes all necessary steps. The pinconfig must be edited as the pin is disabled.

Are you on a GA-Z77-DS3H? If not, what motherboard? What codec (codec 283 is not supported) The guide tells you how to find the right pathmap. It also notes all necessary steps. The pinconfig must be edited as the pin is disabled.

Correct, I am on GA-Z77-DS3H. Codec I believe is 889. I followed the guide and I have a layout 2. So where you have item 7 is 889, item 8 is 289, which through deduction as item 9 is 389 they are implying that all 3 are 889 just layout 1, 2, and 3. So I modified item 8 in the platforms.xml.

It seems I edited everything properly(I believe) however, I didnt edit the pinconfig as I couldnt locate it. I will check again.

Edit: the 283 is just something I found in the CodecID section of any of the item choices. It just threw me off...I take it they are supposed to stay 283. Yes, now looking at it its just a decimal number for vender id and such.

Edit 2: I do find a PinConfigDefault with numbers after, however I am not sure if I missed something in the reading as I am not sure how to enable it.

Edit 3: I have revision v1.1, however I dont believe audio codecs are different between revisions, so if anyone would be so kind as to just upload their applehda.kext so I can try that/look into your changes that would be great!

EDIT 4: I had a brain lapse. We are 887 not 889

Edit 5: After realizing my mistake and starting over, I adjusted the (now) Item 2, which is layout id 2 of codec 887(I believe, right?)
I also went through and made the find and replace adjustment of the numbers in the HardwareConfigDriver.kext config.plist for again the (now) Item 2, which I believe to be the right one. I still have yet to figure out how to enable the pinconfig.
So after all the edits, starting over, and editing the 887 now, I still have not been able to get it to work. (It does work in windows though, so I know its functional)

Hey Toleda, you still out there? Or anyone really. Any help would be wonderful. I cant PM users in this thread for their AppleHDA.kext that works on the GA-Z77-DS3H board, I still need 10 more posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back