Contribute
Register

GA-Z77-DS3H - i7 3770 - Radeon HD 6870 - Willing to get a New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
4K@60Hz should be OOB with SST displays, MST displays need some hacks. I don't own any of these so I can't confirm.

In any case, a HD 7xxx+ or GTX 6xx+ card is required for 4K (not sure the low-end models are able).
Again, check the card specs - output must be good for HDMI 2.0 or it is no-go. DP is best if at 1.2 IIRC.

My EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 specifically says:

[h=4]Resolution & Refresh[/h]
Max Monitors Supported: 4
240Hz Max Refresh Rate
Max Analog : 2048x1536
Max Digital : 4096x2160

It also list HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 with dual-link DVI

Ok guys I ended up buying (just now) an EVGA GTX 750 2GB GDDR5. Im not sure how to match it against the ones @ Buyers Guide, but it seems like the Dual-Fan FTW version.

Can someone point me the right procedure to replace the video cards? I mean, what should I do at my OS X Yosemite installation before and after replacing the video card?

Ok guys I ended up buying (just now) an EVGA GTX 750 2GB GDDR5. Im not sure how to match it against the ones @ Buyers Guide, but it seems like the Dual-Fan FTW version.

Can someone point me the right procedure to replace the video cards? I mean, what should I do at my OS X Yosemite installation before and after replacing the video card?
If it is OOB, then all you have to do is shutdown, disconnect PSU power cables, remove old card, install new card, connect PSU power cable(s) and boot it up.

If not OOB, download and install nVidia web drivers first, then swap cards.

I had to install NVIDIA Web drivers, otherwise I was only able to boot using nv_disable=1.

But, seems to be even a better option to use a driver officially made by NVIDIA, isn't it? Actually the fact that even Chameleon was automatically patched amazed me. So, in the end NVIDIA is supporting OSX on non Apple machines! :) Nice!

Everything seems to be working perfectly.

*PS* I checked this card extensively on EVGA's website. Seems to be a pure GTX 750, but with the dual fan ACX cooling system. It's product number is: 02g-p4-2756-KR

Shouldn't that be supported OOB?

I had to install NVIDIA Web drivers, otherwise I was only able to boot using nv_disable=1.

But, seems to be even a better option to use a driver officially made by NVIDIA, isn't it? Actually the fact that even Chameleon was automatically patched amazed me. So, in the end NVIDIA is supporting OSX on non Apple machines! :) Nice!

Everything seems to be working perfectly.

*PS* I checked this card extensively on EVGA's website. Seems to be a pure GTX 750, but with the dual fan ACX cooling system. It's product number is: 02g-p4-2756-KR

Shouldn't that be supported OOB?
Don't know - if you can get the device ID number you can check for it in the info.plist of what device IDs are supported in the nVidia kexts.

It's a Maxwell card, non of them are supported OOB until Apple decides to update their crappy old drivers.

Well, personally, I suspect that I prefer to keep using NVIDIA's drivers than Apple original ones.
I think that's what I would do it on a real mac anyway.

Just out of curiosity, you said not OOB, but, it should be supported by editing a kext or something?
Where can I find more instructions about how to do it, for learning purposes...

BR

Well, but some reason (maybe political) they decided to launch their own drivers.
Possible because most of newer Mac Hardware are using AMD, right?

BTW, have you seen these rumors. That would probably move Apple back to NVIDIA in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back