1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys,

My son is asking for a new video card, so, I had the idea to upgrade my setup :) and give him my Radeon 6870. Should be enough to play GTA V.

I don't game too much, but I like to know that it would be possible! :p

Key points would be:
  1. Out of the Box functionality (as much as possible) for Multi-monitor setup
  2. Support 4k Displays (desktop)

Would really appreciate some suggestions. I noticed that buyers guide now only includes Nvidia options. If I remember correctly, some time ago, the best ones were from ATI (like mine) which I bought after carefully reviewing the list circa 2013.

BR,
Muffie.
:beachball:

Would really appreciate some suggestions. I noticed that buyers guide now only includes Nvidia options. If I remember correctly, some time ago, the best ones were from ATI (like mine) which I bought after carefully reviewing the list circa 2013.

BR,
Muffie.
You might want to read http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...90x-our-hackintoshes-further-explanation.html

There is a table I saw somewhere on endgadget or toms hardware or some other review site - can't remember now - that showed the relative model numbers. Basically the R7s and R9s are rebranded HD6xxx/HD7xxx cards.

The 280X is OOB, but /Extra and boot file must be moved to the EFI partition for it to boot.
See http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Thank you Going Bald (me too, btw) and Fl0r!an.

Actually I found these two guides yesterday and I came out with the impression that AMD requires more effort to make it work perfectly, being Price/performance the only real PRO.

As, I'm not extremely interested on high end FPS Gaming cards (wouldn't change Q3/AOE2/Unreal Tournament for Crysis 3, I think this nice 740 FTW will do it, right?

http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/611...8-bits-pci-e-3-0-02g-p4-3744-kr/?tag=evga 740

Just to confirm:
- Should work OOB with Multibeast and/or Clover?
- Should support OOB a 4K monitor?
- Should support OOB a multimonitor 2x setup: 4k + Full HD?

Thank you for the support so far!
BR,
Muffie.

You'll need a card with DisplayPort for 4K@60hz.

F|0r!an, is there a safe way to get OOB 4k out of a hackintosh?

@macs_forever: Well, I'm currently using a 6870 from ASUS and it's working perfectly under 10.10.4 (multi monitor)! :)

I was just willing to get a new 4k capable card in order to give this one to my son.

*PS* I just noticed that my 6870 has (what I think are) two DisplayPorts. So, maybe its better just to keep it?

F|0r!an, is there a safe way to get OOB 4k out of a hackintosh?

@macs_forever: Well, I'm currently using a 6870 from ASUS and it's working perfectly under 10.10.4 (multi monitor)! :)

I was just willing to get a new 4k capable card in order to give this one to my son.

*PS* I just noticed that my 6870 has (what I think are) two DisplayPorts. So, maybe its better just to keep it?
Look up the specs of the card. It came out before 4k was even thought possible, so probably does not support it. More than likely it is DP 1.0 or 1.1 and you need at least DP 1.2 for 4k. Still doesn't mean you are going to get 60Hz in OS X. I can get 3840x2160 @ max of 30Hz on my GTX980 in Yosemite, but it gets 4k at 60 Hz in Windows 10.:crazy:

Well, so, looks like there's still a lot of work to do until we get to a more stable 4k Hackintosh scenario.
I really could consider buying a real Mac Pro. Price is high but maybe not too much for the components, design and HW quality. BUT, I'm not entirely sure I would be able to live without all the upgradability options of a hackintosh...

Well, so, looks like there's still a lot of work to do until we get to a more stable 4k Hackintosh scenario.
I really could consider buying a real Mac Pro. Price is high but maybe not too much for the components, design and HW quality. BUT, I'm not entirely sure I would be able to live without all the upgradability options of a hackintosh...

Consider this:
- how often do you do upgrades to hardware in a normal working situation?
- even though you have little/no upgrade capability with the nMP, will it do the job you intend for it to do? Will it continue to do it for, say, the next 5 years or so?
- during the next 5 years will you be able to put back $$ to buy parts for a new build?

If answers are:
- not very often
- yes and yes
- yes

then you might want to seriously consider the real Mac route if you can afford it, especially if this is your $$$ making work computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back