Contribute
Register

GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 guide/review

Status
Not open for further replies.
arcum said:
BIOS changes don't affect windows, sort of... I do suggest going for a fresh install of Win7 as well, as you might want to go to 64bit there as well...
AHCI can be changed on an existing Win7, but it's less than ideal... Just go for the fresh install, that way - nothing's going to act weird & all...

So after I finish putting all my parts together, I change the BIOS settings, and install OSX.

Once that's done, I plan to install Win7 following tonymac's guide here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

So does the BIOS settings that I changed for OSX stay in place when I boot up Win7? And if it does, are you saying that it won't affect it since it's a fresh install?

IsThatBbq said:
Once that's done, I plan to install Win7 following tonymac's guide here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

So does the BIOS settings that I changed for OSX stay in place when I boot up Win7? And if it does, are you saying that it won't affect it since it's a fresh install?

Win7 nor OSX can change your BIOS settings, win7 only starts acting "weird" when you change IDE to AHCI after you installed win7 in IDE mode... so that's why you'll be wanting to do a clean/fresh install of win7 - also make it 64bit install - doesn't hurt...

Also a piece of my personal advice, use two different HDD/SSD's for OSX & Win7 - don't like the fact that there are two OS' on the same disk... that way you can simply unplug the OSX drive when you're installing win7 & you don't need a guide for that ;)

Just make sure to get the bootpriority straight after you installed win7... Plug the OSX drive back in, boot up - in BIOS look for something as "boot device priority" and make sure you put the OSX-drive above the Win7-drive, that way you'll boot in OSX' Chameleon or Chimera & you can choose which OS to load... :cool:

Or you can just follow that guide you said and do it the Tony way... :yawn:

kopickoj said:
Ok I got it to run but still can't boot from the HD. Still have to use iboot. Lame. Anyone encounter this problem with UD4?

Also can't get the internet to work.

see my sig... skip SnowLeopard - go straight to Lion...

arcum said:
IsThatBbq said:

Win7 nor OSX can change your BIOS settings, win7 only starts acting "weird" when you change IDE to AHCI after you installed win7 in IDE mode... so that's why you'll be wanting to do a clean/fresh install of win7 - also make it 64bit install - doesn't hurt...

Also a piece of my personal advice, use two different HDD/SSD's for OSX & Win7 - don't like the fact that there are two OS' on the same disk... that way you can simply unplug the OSX drive when you're installing win7 & you don't need a guide for that ;)

Just make sure to get the bootpriority straight after you installed win7... Plug the OSX drive back in, boot up - in BIOS look for something as "boot device priority" and make sure you put the OSX-drive above the Win7-drive, that way you'll boot in OSX' Chameleon or Chimera & you can choose which OS to load... :cool:

Or you can just follow that guide you said and do it the Tony way... :yawn:

Ah ok, thanks a lot.

By the way, I was wondering if I would be able to overclock my CPU and GPU when I had OSX installed, or would that kind mess up the stability of the system?

Edit - By the way, if I wanted to install Lion instead of Snow Leopard, all the steps for installing a Hackintosh would still apply? And what software would I be using to load OSX for the first time, since it says that iBoot only works with 10.6.x software.

Thanks for posting this! My mobo should be in today so I'll be installing everything tonight and hopefully have my first Hackintosh running this evening! I'll update later and post what's working and what isn't. Thanks again!

I just finished installing all of the components on my first Hackintosh build. As of now, everything seems to turn on, fans, GPU, system beep, except the HDMI port and the USB ports. The only monitor I have right now is my HDMI TV. I plug it, mouse, and keyboard in and nothing will work so I can't even see anything. I've tried front and rear USB ports. Suggestions??

Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
Intel i5 2400
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670
Cooler Master Elite 400W PSU

I decided to go back to the beginning with this build. I pulled everything back out and installed just the CPU, heat fan, video card, speaker, and power supply. Still no signal from HDMI, nothing from USB (not even power it seems), and no system beep. I am completely lost about what to do. This is my first build and I'm hoping I'm overlooking something and not have bad parts. Thanks for any help!!

IsThatBbq said:
Ah ok, thanks a lot.

By the way, I was wondering if I would be able to overclock my CPU and GPU when I had OSX installed, or would that kind mess up the stability of the system?

Edit - By the way, if I wanted to install Lion instead of Snow Leopard, all the steps for installing a Hackintosh would still apply? And what software would I be using to load OSX for the first time, since it says that iBoot only works with 10.6.x software.

Going to try out OC'ing tomorrow - I'll let you know how things work out for me...

For the Lion install check the link in my signature - it's all in there... :)

Hi everyone !

been fighting in hell with that motherboard for the past 3 days :(

when i thought i got it tamed i then lost the ethernet...

the one i am using as been updated to BIOS F8

i was wondering if would get better result with 10.6.7 than with 10.6.8 ?

i'm about to give up on it as it seems sleep still not work as well as many other problems
i'm also anxious about the firewire port not working :(

did anyone made progress on it in the past 2 weeks ?

Also i'm using the stock cooler with an I5K 2500 : is it worth trying to overclock it ?
and could anyone post a guide to do so ?

Thanks a lot !

pasourw said:
I decided to go back to the beginning with this build. I pulled everything back out and installed just the CPU, heat fan, video card, speaker, and power supply. Still no signal from HDMI, nothing from USB (not even power it seems), and no system beep. I am completely lost about what to do. This is my first build and I'm hoping I'm overlooking something and not have bad parts. Thanks for any help!!

run a memtest is my suggestion, bad RAM if everything else is set up right is usually the cause (in my experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back