Contribute
Register

GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 guide/review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a CMOS reset with Lion after a sleep/wake cycle. There is a thread on this issue over at the other forum. The CMOS reset does affect other gigabyte boards to not just this one.

The other forum has some patches going on for the AppleRTC.kext none of which work for me but one post that caught my attention was to replace the Lion AppleRTC.kext with 10.6.8 which works for me.

Sleep/Wake does seem to work on the surface but a dmesg reveals Firewire and Airport disconnects.

Hopefully someday there will be a solution for this rather than rolling back the AppleRTC.kext.

osxfr33k said:
I get a CMOS reset with Lion after a sleep/wake cycle. There is a thread on this issue over at the other forum. The CMOS reset does affect other gigabyte boards to not just this one.

The other forum has some patches going on for the AppleRTC.kext none of which work for me but one post that caught my attention was to replace the Lion AppleRTC.kext with 10.6.8 which works for me.

Sleep/Wake does seem to work on the surface but a dmesg reveals Firewire and Airport disconnects.

Hopefully someday there will be a solution for this rather than rolling back the AppleRTC.kext.

osxfr33k, yep, I'm waiting for a fix for this too. I miss how my UD3P board used to work flawlessly in this manner.....

arcum said:
kopickoj said:
Ok I got it to run but still can't boot from the HD. Still have to use iboot. Lame. Anyone encounter this problem with UD4?

Also can't get the internet to work.

see my sig... skip SnowLeopard - go straight to Lion...

Wow, am I glad I made myself a Lion installer USB drive, before Tony & Co got all upset and removed this most excellent post and installation method.

Hallo there ,

I just got my new pc with the following:

GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 with bios F8,
I7 2600 k
Sapphire hd 6870 1 gb Gddr5
16 GB ram already installed.

The pc is connected via hdmi to my monitor. I have a retails snow leopard 10.6.3.

I tried the following more than once but i don't have any chance getting the system to work.

I changed the bios setting. and i used the iboot to install snow leopard. Everything went fine and now iam on snow leopard 10.6.3 . I would like to update and here are the problems starting.

This is what i did . i installed updatehelper and then installed the combo update 10.6.7. i runned multibeast before restart and install usedsdt which is in my case GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-F8. and some other things for audio and boots. after restart my pc doesnt start anymore .. i tried different guides but i can't boot in after the update .. any advice ?

Thnx for your help.

amancio87 said:
Hallo there ,

I just got my new pc with the following:

GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 with bios F8,
I7 2600 k
Sapphire hd 6870 1 gb Gddr5
16 GB ram already installed.

The pc is connected via hdmi to my monitor. I have a retails snow leopard 10.6.3.

I tried the following more than once but i don't have any chance getting the system to work.

I changed the bios setting. and i used the iboot to install snow leopard. Everything went fine and now iam on snow leopard 10.6.3 . I would like to update and here are the problems starting.

This is what i did . i installed updatehelper and then installed the combo update 10.6.7. i runned multibeast before restart and install usedsdt which is in my case GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-F8. and some other things for audio and boots. after restart my pc doesnt start anymore .. i tried different guides but i can't boot in after the update .. any advice ?

Thnx for your help.

Same mobo (F8 BIOS)
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte 6870

Installing 10.6.3 is fine - I do get network connectivity at this point

I ran updatehelper and rebooted... (immediately doing 10.6.8 updater causes a kernal panic)

Then I installed 10.6.8 update and Multibeast (using the downloaded DSDT for F8) - I'm allowed to reboot normally.

After rebooting, I get a kernal panic during the white/Apple logo screen. I should re-create the problem and post a screengrab. (I didn't install any ATi kexts, which I think might have to be done...)

I've not yet tried Lion updater, but given problems with 2 of my apps in it, I've been wanting to standardize on 10.6.8. If not, I'll go Lion, try to figure out any problems, and wait for the app developers to put out patches... :(

This is weird. The Z68A-D3H and Z68MX-UD2H both installed OS X, updatehelper, 10.6.8, complete with FakeSMC and "Mac Pro 3,1" setting), without these issues, but this is a newer board...

Pity the Z68A-UD3H is no longer available, but I want a full-size ATX board with 8-pin EPS line, ability to control vCore directly, and the firewire card too. :) Only the UD4 has all of these.

Then again, for previous installs I used 10.6.0... Today I tried 10.6.3 as the base CD. I doubt that's significant, but worth mentioning...

skoocha303 said:
Also i'm using the stock cooler with an I5K 2500 : is it worth trying to overclock it ?
and could anyone post a guide to do so ?

Thanks a lot !

For overclocking, no way. Definitely buy a decent cooler. (On the stock fan, Prime95 will get the CPU cooking at over 80C. That's way too hot.)

For specific settings and how to best approach overclocking (no two machines will react precisely the same), try:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back