Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
How does this build look for a first time budget build?
Motherboard: GA-B75M-HD3
CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 or Intel Core i3 3245
Graphics:
Asus GT610-SL-2GD3-L or Integrated HD 4000 Graphics
Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)

Case/PSU: Anything reasonable on Newegg
HDD: I have many at home

Thanks, dietgoke

How does this build look for a first time budget build?
Motherboard: GA-B75M-HD3
CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 or Intel Core i3 3245
Graphics: Asus GT610-SL-2GD3-L or Integrated HD 4000 Graphics
Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
Case/PSU: Anything reasonable on Newegg
HDD: I have many at home

Hi dietgoke,

As you can see from my details, I am running with a GA-B75M-HD3, G2020 & GT520. I was given the GT520 by a friend, so did not pay for it. If I was making the same buying decisions today that I made back in May then I would have gone with the i3 CPU with HD4000.

The GT610 is the newer version of the GT520, performance is roughly on par with HD3000 - so laptop graphics, which is fine for simple tasks. HD4000 is getting a further 25% boost in memory allocation in 10.8.5 (release due within days)

The G1610 processor runs at 2 x 2.6 GHz, the i3-3245 runs at 2 x 3.4 GHz. So the CPU is much more powerful (longer useful working life) and has better graphics than even the GT620 can probably muster. The cost difference is pretty slim - especially if you are looking to keep this for 4-5 years.

Summary - Go for the i3-3245!

I was going to recommend this case as its compact, yet simple. Newegg are out of stock.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0074V2UXI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

Adrian B

Hi dietgoke,

As you can see from my details, I am running with a GA-B75M-HD3, G2020 & GT520. I was given the GT520 by a friend, so did not pay for it. If I was making the same buying decisions today that I made back in May then I would have gone with the i3 CPU with HD4000.

The GT610 is the newer version of the GT520, performance is roughly on par with HD3000 - so laptop graphics, which is fine for simple tasks. HD4000 is getting a further 25% boost in memory allocation in 10.8.5 (release due within days)

The G1610 processor runs at 2 x 2.6 GHz, the i3-3245 runs at 2 x 3.4 GHz. So the CPU is much more powerful (longer useful working life) and has better graphics than even the GT620 can probably muster. The cost difference is pretty slim - especially if you are looking to keep this for 4-5 years.

Summary - Go for the i3-3245!

I was going to recommend this case as its compact, yet simple. Newegg are out of stock.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0074V2UXI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

Adrian B

Did you have any problems with the motherboard or was it completely compatible?
And what PSU would you reccommend?

Did you have any problems with the motherboard or was it completely compatible?
And what PSU would you reccommend?

The motherboard seems to be completely compatible. I don't have any USB3 devices to test the USB3 sockets. The only USB2 devices that seem to work in USB3 sockets are Bluetooth adaptors on a lot of builds anyway.

Audio works fine
Ethernet works fine

Its a compact board so does not require a large case
It has only one sata 3 socket which is fine for a SSD, HDDs don't run to the limits of sata 2 anyway and it has plenty of sata 2 ports
Its a cheap board to buy

I can thoroughly recommend this board.

Adrian B

Adrian --

Do you know if there is compatibility for dual displays and how the configuration would work? And would the"Inland Gold Series ILG-400-2 400 Watt" power supply be good enough for that configuration?

Dual displays is supported in 10.8.4, use a CPU with HD4000 the motherboard connections that you will need to use are the DVI-D and HDMI sockets. The VGA socket does not work in OSX and a DVI to VGA adaptor will not work either. The power supply you listed looks as if it will do you just fine for this build. :thumbup:

Edit - if you used a graphics card like a GT620 then can also use two displays.

Adrian B

Dual displays is supported in 10.8.4, use a CPU with HD4000 the motherboard connections that you will need to use are the DVI-D and HDMI sockets. The VGA socket does not work in OSX and a DVI to VGA adaptor will not work either. The power supply you listed looks as if it will do you just fine for this build. :thumbup:

Edit - if you used a graphics card like a GT620 then can also use two displays.

Adrian B

Thanks, what is your audio setup like?

Thanks, what is your audio setup like?

This computer is used mainly for web and office type duties. I am using the standard audio out jack to a pair of powered monitor speakers that I have had for the best part of 20 years now. The only audio played is a bit of radio via the internet and some YouTube videos. I have an external USB DAC that connects from another system to a high quality audio system which sounds much better. That system is used in another room though.

Adrian B

This computer is used mainly for web and office type duties. I am using the standard audio out jack to a pair of powered monitor speakers that I have had for the best part of 20 years now. The only audio played is a bit of radio via the internet and some YouTube videos. I have an external USB DAC that connects from another system to a high quality audio system which sounds much better. That system is used in another room though.

Adrian B

Adrian--

It worked! -- I got the parts yesterday and spent today putting them together. I got 1 Stick of 8GB DDR3 So I could upgrade later and a 120 GB SSD. The computer loads from the bootloader in less than 5 seconds! Ethernet works, Haven't tested dual monitors, USB 3.0, or audio yet. Though it is confusing, the case looks great. I also got a IO Gear bluetooth adapter, and the range is good, but definitely doesn't reach the 30ft advertised. I only have a couple concerns.

1.) I bought 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz memory -- in 'About this Mac' it is only showing up as 1333 MHz.

2.) There is no HDMI Audio Output -- Is there any way to fix this?

I haven't found any other issues yet, but I've only used it for a couple hours.

Thanks, dietgoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back