Contribute
Register

G5 Hackintosh: Best motherboard for fitting inside case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a suggestion for you, the MSI Z77MA-G45 is mATX and has two pci-e x16 slots.

I have one installed in one of my G5 cases. Took OSX like a champ and it's stable as a rock.

Ersterhernd

Hi, I tried to PM you but apparently don't have enough posts...I'm hoping you could point me toward whatever walkthrough or advice you might have for flashing the bios, setting up the system and successfully installing OS on this board that you recommended? I'm in the process of installing Mountain Lion and it is continuing to get hung up...thanks!

Hi, I tried to PM you but apparently don't have enough posts...I'm hoping you could point me toward whatever walkthrough or advice you might have for flashing the bios, setting up the system and successfully installing OS on this board that you recommended? I'm in the process of installing Mountain Lion and it is continuing to get hung up...thanks!

Did you follow the directions for your board on this site yet?

http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/msi/

The multi beast settings are in the first post of kduvernay's thread.

Just a suggestion for you, the MSI Z77MA-G45 is mATX and has two pci-e x16 slots.

I have one installed in one of my G5 cases. Took OSX like a champ and it's stable as a rock.

Ersterhernd

I've never seen anyone use a MSI board for a customac?!!?!

Do you have a guide as to what you did to make it work and all?

Hi Yancyv8, all that was required outside of a very normal OSX install was to flash the patched BIOS first. Found here http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/msi/

Use a USB 2.0 port to install, if you have a radeon 6000 series make sure to remove those kexts from the installer first and put them back in later. That was it. Runs great ever since day one.

There's guides all over this forum, it'd be redundant to post another one for this motherboard, as it worked pretty much out of the box without any hassle. It an 892 sound chip, and the networking kext from Multibeast works great.

Cheers!

Hi Yancyv8, all that was required outside of a very normal OSX install was to flash the patched BIOS first. Found here http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/msi/

Use a USB 2.0 port to install, if you have a radeon 6000 series make sure to remove those kexts from the installer first and put them back in later. That was it. Runs great ever since day one.

There's guides all over this forum, it'd be redundant to post another one for this motherboard, as it worked pretty much out of the box without any hassle. It an 892 sound chip, and the networking kext from Multibeast works great.

Cheers!

Thanx a bunch. I didn't think to look for it since it wasn't a recommended mobo. Sorry about that XD. Great job with your G5 mods btw, it inspired me to get two of them and start on my own! :)

E-ATX and SSD
tyan-S8225-motherboard.jpg

This site does recommend a lot of gigabyte boards but if u do your research you can find a lot of boards that are compatible and successes. Take your time and pick a board with a lot of successful posts!!!

i have an old g5 mac pro tower and i was thinking about using that msi z77 mboard with maybe a i7 7700k and an msi gtx 1050ti, am i able to run 10.12.6 on it or not bc the mboard isnt compatible with sierra?!or do i have to stick with mountain lion which is 10.8 or something. Plz help and thank you guys! Ima refinish the case i will post pics of progress in the process of moving family into new house so im a busy dude rn! Again thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back