1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So my G5 mod is done, and everything is working pretty well. I reused the front cpu fans and currently have them wired to molex 12v. Loud as heck, and I have harmonic whine. Temps are great, however I'm worried about the airflow. The intake fans are blowing much more air in than the rear 2x80mm fans can suck out, thinking that could cause an issue.
Would it be better to wire them to 5 and 7 volts (to eliminate the harmonizing) or hook them up to a fan controller?
Or would it be best to replace them with regular PC fans?
When I get home I'll take some pics , since I know we all love pics

Asus P8Z68-V mobo
Intel i3 2120 3.5GHz
16gb ddr3 1633MHz
GeForce 560GTX Ti 1GB twin frozr
120gb Samsung evo 840 SSD (Yosemite w/clover)
120GB Kingston SSD (Windows 10 64bit education)
500GB WD BLACK (storage)
2x80mm noctua fans (exhaust)
2x92mm Apple G5 fans 12v (intake)
Mountain Mods modular tray
Corsair 650w power supply (rehoused in G5 supply housing with fans rewired and plug rewired)

You have hit on one of my favorite topics… fans in the G5 Power Mac case. Most people IMHO put too many fans in this case. I suggest that you find your worst case load and see what the CPU temps are running.

I use Prime95 torture test for a hour and like to see the temps stay below 70C. This is a ego thing. If you stay below 90C your system will survive for a long time.

Any way the G5 case breaths so well that most hacks could run with the CPU cooler fan(s) only and this assumes that the PSU has it’s own fan or fans.

Your cpu at 65W TDP should not present any problem keeping cool with just about any after market cooler.

Just food for thought. Looking for your photos soon.

Good modding,
neil

Yeah, got home and had to do some work for school, taking networking security courses, going for a bachelors. So I need to use a computer a lot, would prefer not to hear a loud whine in a turbine while trying to study or work on labs.

Took the G5 fans out, and all is quiet. Temps seem nice , but I am only using the stock Intel cooler. I would eventually like to put a Xeon or an i5 2500k in this thing, so I'm wanting a Tunique tower cooler. But, as a college kid who took a 500 a month pay cut, I can live with an i3 . Ha. I'd like to rewire the G5 fans, since when viewed from the front, the outline is, how do I put it, somewhat menacing, like it's ready to chomp.

My cable management skills aren't great... But I'm getting airflow. If I could get 3.7GHz out of my q6600 and keep temps below 65c, I must be doing something right... Temps are around 40c idle and 55-60c under load. They were a lot higher a few weeks ago, but it was also 120 in the room. Being in recent San Diego weather plus no ac wasn't fun. I know it could use some new thermal paste, i was just too lazy to do it when I bought the mobo-proc combo, since the sink/fan was already installed.

And i reused the original power supply fans and wired them up to 12v. Not as loud as I'd feared. Can only hear a faint whisper.

Still trying to figure out how to get the latest version of boot camp software so I can get my apple keyboard working in Windows.

Anyway, here's a couple pics . I didn't document much while going through it, and I know I messed up tray orientation, as I wish I could reuse stock location for hard drives, and reuse the plastic wind shield. Oh well...

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg