Contribute
Register

Full Parts List Check — No Video Card Okay? (Gigabyte GA-H170N, Skylake, …)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm not a gamer, do you think I can get away with forgoing a video card in favor of system graphics?
That's what I planned too (see Success: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 + Intel Skylake Core i5-6600 in a Corsair Carbide 200R case) but, out of ignorance, I took for granted the mobo I picked could deliver 4K through the HDMI port. It can. OS X can't. It can only through DP. Once installed I couldn't get more than 1080px whether through HDMI or DVI. So make sure your mobo has a DP port.
Nick

My question is if the H170N-WIFI board supports Bluetooth (Don't need WIFI as all computers connect via ethernet) without adding the M2 card?

My question is if the H170N-WIFI board supports Bluetooth (Don't need WIFI as all computers connect via ethernet) without adding the M2 card?
Try either the IOgear or Gmyle BT usb adapter which can be found in the Buyer's Guide. The Intel wifi/BT card that comes with the H170N doesn't work reliably for BT. For wifi not at all.

Try either the IOgear or Gmyle BT usb adapter which can be found in the Buyer's Guide. The Intel wifi/BT card that comes with the H170N doesn't work reliably for BT. For wifi not at all.

Thanks. Don't know how I missed that in the Buyers Guide.

Thanks everybody! I ordered my parts the other day, and everything but the case is already here.

Neither my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI) nor case (Fractal Design Node 202) has USB 2.0 ports — they only have USB 3.0 ones.

Can I install OS X with Unibeast over USB 3.0, or should I get a little 2.0 dongle to use with the internal USB 2.0 header?

I have the same case, and no problems with USB 3.0.
I used 1 of the four ports directly on the motherboard.

I ordered an Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B and an Noctua NH-L9i for backup, if the Scythe didn't fit.
But the Scythe fits! Even though the dimensions of the cooler are to big for the Node 202 if you look at the millimeters on the Fractal site.
The Scythe has an 12 cm fan, that's why I wanted it.

And are you going to use an Nvidia card or just the IGP?

Last edited:
I have the same case, and no problems with USB 3.0.
I used 1 of the four ports directly on the motherboard.

Thanks, DaandeGroot. Just to clarify: Will I be able to plug the install drive into one of the USB 3.0 ports, or do I need to plug into a USB 2.0 port to install? (If the latter, I'll need to sort out a fix, since my mobo lacks USB 2.0 ports, though it does have headers for one.)

That's awesome news about the Scythe. I'm planning on using the Intel cooler for starters, and if I need to get something proper I'll go with the Scythe :)

For the time being, I'm going to use the IGP, but I'll likely spring for a real GPU in the future. I've got my eye on an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC.

And whoops…! I just realized that the Gigabyte motherboard is incompatible with my display, a Dell UltraSharp U2715H, since the display has DisplayPort connectors and the motherboard doesn't!

Guess I'll have to spring for that GPU :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back