ASUS H97M-E
CPU
Intel i5 4460
Graphics
MSI GTX 750 2GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hello,

I've been struggling with this for the past few hours and I just don't get this.

I've opened my case to see that there are 2 front panel audio connectors. One being "Audio" (just AUDIO, no HD in front of that), other being "AC97".
However, I suspect it's meant HD Audio, otherwise, what's the point of the 2nd connector?

In BIOS, > Onboard Devices > HD Audio Controller is ENABLED.
Under it, front panel audio controller is set to HD Audio.

However, to get front panel audio to work in W10, I have to click AC97 under Connector Settings in Realtek HD Audio Manager (RHDAM).
Whether in BIOS, HD Audio is selected, or AC97, it doesn't matter.
Selecting HD Audio under RHDAM in W10 doesn't let me use front panel at all. Like it's disconnected.

I haven't tried using the 2nd connector inside the case. Should I? I don't want AC97, but, could they possibly mismatched them?

My case is ofbrand, literally nothing on it. It was cheap, it came with a 500W power supply, but I can't remember the name.
I can't find out, because the papers that came up with it are home, and I'm a student in another city.

If anyone is wondering, I have ALC887, on ASUS H97M-e MB.

I've described the problem being front panel audio, but I want to make it clear that I want audio on macOS Sierra, hence why I'm posting here, on this forum.

I have a dual boot.

macOS does not support AC97
Use green motherboard port to verify audio
Front panel is last check.

If no audio, see II. Problem Reporting, Post #1, No Audio Devices - Realtek ALC AppleHDA. Post to thread linked with requested files attached.

macOS does not support AC97
Use green motherboard port to verify audio
Front panel is last check.

If no audio, see II. Problem Reporting, Post #1, No Audio Devices - Realtek ALC AppleHDA. Post to thread linked with requested files attached.

Yes, I know it doesn't. But it's HD Audio in BIOS, and Audio connector is connected from the front panel to the MB, not the AC97.
AC97 is selected only INSIDE W10, inside RHDAM.

I don't really know what you mean with green MB port. Out of 3 on the back, the middle 1 is selected. The green one. If that's what you mean.
But on the front, the "Headphones" 1 is plugged in. They aren't colored on the front.

What do you mean by "Front panel is last check".
As I've sait, the connectors from the front panel have 2 audio connections. One being AC97, other being Audio.
So that's checked, if that's it.

I'll make sure to post in the thread you recommended.

Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2*2
- Supports : Jack-detection, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Audio amplifier: Provides the highest-quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- Unique de-pop circuit: Reduces start-up popping noise to audio outputs

AUDIO.png

Guys, got the same problem after update to Mojave on my desktop. Couldn't find correct kexts at first to get my analog sound outputs working, only the monitors' HDMI worked and the line-outs have shown up just a couple of times in about a month. Then, I deleted all the main sound kexts, installed VoodooHDA (don't remember the instructions). The line-outs appeared again (this time without HDMI) after the reboot but only until the next one. So, deleted the kexts again, installed AppleALC, Lilu and in Clover Configurator set Devices > Audio > Inject to 2. Now, there are 4 sound outputs on the panel (sorry, if I put 'em incorrectly into English):
- internal speakers (works as a rear panel motherboard line-out)
- line-out (neither speaker is working)
- digital out (even becomes grey when chosen)
Neither of these makes the analog front panel sound output work. Thou the connection is OK, checked in Windows. The motherboard's ASUS B85M-K, alc887 5.1. How can I make the front panel scream?

Audio > Inject to 2. Now, there are 4 sound outputs on the panel (sorry, if I put 'em incorrectly into English):
- internal speakers (works as a rear panel motherboard line-out)
- digital out (even becomes grey when chosen)
Audio ID: 2, see AppleHDA Realtek Audio/VII. Audio IDs
Repurposes motherboard audio/inputs to outputs (Pink > Orange/1st Line Out, Blue > Black/2nd Line Out)
Audio ID 1: native motherboard audio - 2 inputs, 1 output
Digital Out must optically connected/detected to be selectable
Neither of these makes the analog front panel sound output work.
If front panel is working, Internal Speakers becomes Headphones when connected. If nothing changes, front panel and/or pin detect failure
Thou the connection is OK, checked in Windows.
Completely irrelevant, mac OS does not support AC 97 (no pin detect), Windows does.

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, changed the Audio ID to 1, actually, the rear panel still works, and it's OK)) Installed AppleHDA & disabled some DSDT patches, which I've added while installing VoodooHDA. Now, the digital line-outs (HDMI) appeared. But that's the extra information... So, I guess, my correct question should be how to make the front panel detection operable?

Hardware problem as noted above.
Hm... that would be strange 'coz the front panel jack worked in High Sierra. Though there were a bit different "sound devices" on the menu bar. Smth. like "line-out (green) rear", "line-out (green) headphones"--the one that sounded from the front panel--simultaneously, plus some other. And it also appeared in Mojave, just for once, when I installed patches Rename HDAS to HDEF and a couple more.

Last edited:
Though there were a bit different "sound devices" on the menu bar. Smth. like "line-out (green) rear", "line-out (green)
Voodoo, not AppleHDA.kext.
And it also appeared in Mojave, just for once, when I installed patches Rename HDAS to HDEF and a couple more.
Likely, however, Headphones could not have "appeared."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back