Contribute
Register

Fresh GA-Z87MX-D3H, 4770K & 10.9 hangs (no KP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX 10.9
CPU
i7 4770K
Graphics
Internal HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Fresh GA-Z87MX-D3H, 4770K & 10.9 sleeps (?) with open eyes

Hi guys,

I've been with a CustoMac for a while (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, i7 2600K and 10.7-10.8) with just occasional problems that I've been able to work out.

I upgraded a couple of days ago and made a clean install of 10.9, moving PSU, ram, SSD and HDs resulting in this setup:

• Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H (f5)
  • Core i7 4770K
  • PSU Corsair HX 650W 80+
  • Corsair 16GB (4-KIT) DDR3 Vengeance XMP 1,3 1,5V
  • SSD 240GB Corsair SATA 2.5", Force 3 Series
  • 2x 2TB Seagate SATA-600 Green ST2000DL003

I can do the installation of OSX 10.9 without problems. I get the system up and running. Sound, sleep and dual monitors (on the internal HD 4600) is working fine. Suddenly (nope, I can't see a pattern) the system hangs. Totally unresponsive. Nothing to do but hard reset. I've tried to leave it for just above an hour - it doesn't "come back".

I've removed all extras - unplugged HDs & front panel USB. Still hanging after at bit (after 2 to 20 minutes). I'm attaching a screen shot of Terminal running Top-command. As you can see - a majority of the processes have gone to sleep. I can't tell what to make of it, but I'm hoping some of you can, and could give me advice.

Any clues?

//Mikael

Install procedure:

Bios Configuration
As the 10.9 guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) with these additions:
  • Under Peripherals > Internal Graphics, Enabled.
  • Under Peripherals > Init Display First, IGFX.

Installing OSX 10.9
As the 10.9 guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) with these settings:
  • Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC892
  • Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
  • Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
  • Drivers > Network > Inter - hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d
  • Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1

Updates on the troubleshooting
Nov 5th

• ​While all other hangs has seemingly totally frozen system - no mouse, kbd...
    • I got one while playing a .wav-file through Finder's preview. Which froze the system just as before, but with audio continuosly stuttering in the background.
  • Downgraded AppleIntelE1000e.kext to hnaks's 2.4.14 using Multibeast 5.4.0.
    • Problem persisted exactly as described originally.
  • Left system running Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) over night
    • System is still running on the morning of nov 6th. No hanging.
    • Crashes again after exiting Prime95.
    • Thinking it has something to do with processor idling.
​Nov 6th

• I ran across a post on how your PSU might not be Haswell compatible: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ies-may-incompatible-intels-haswell-cpus.html
    • My Corsair HX 650W (bronze) might not be Haswell compatible according to Corsair, so I disabled C6/C7 states in the Bios.
    • That did not change anything, though.
  • After that I disabled C-States followed by P-States in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
    • None of those solves my problem.

Attachments

• Photo 2013-11-02 15 28 47.jpg
    Photo 2013-11-02 15 28 47.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 281
Thanks, buddy!

Right now I'm so sick of it. But I'll try the linked solution later.

Any other ideas - please keep 'em coming.

/Mikael

It almost makes me think my system is infected with a virus or I have a hardware problem.

Prior to freezing, if I can get some work done in Photoshop, some raw images appear as "mush" in Adobe Bridge. Trying to open them in Camera raw doesn't look any better.

Could it be a bad video card? I have a connected Canon projector that freezes up as well at the same time.

I thought it was GPU issues to start with. Since that s what a lot of people are nailing as their culprit. So I took out the Radeon 6870 and made a new install - with same results.

I am thinking about my SSD, though. That there is some glitch of some kind. It's not reporting anything, though. And it was used (together with GPU and RAM) in previous build (10.8.3) causing no problems.

I'll try the network driver tonite after work.

Cheers!

Having similar system - same mobo, CPU is basic 4770 and using GF650Ti for video.
Had similar freezes - upgraded fakesmc to latest version (1003), played with smbios and mac definitions and got it resolved somehow, system is not hanging anymore

Haven't done ANY manual kext-installations before. Would you mind guiding me in how to install the later FakeSMC?

What system definition did you end up with? Not Mac Pro 3,1 I presume? Any clues on what BIOS settings you are using?

Thanks!

/Mikael

There is nothing fancy - just google for RehabMan fakesmc, backup old one if you want and put the kext to /System/Library/Extensions
then repair permissions before restart.
BIOS settings is almost recommended one with only difference is legacy only boot. Haven't said I'm using Fusion from SSD+HDD - but that should not make any difference.
Any smbios definition will work (in fact system type and board id) but don't change serial number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back