Contribute
Register

Freezes during boot because of MultiBeast

Is it possible to undo what MultiBeast did??

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IMPOSSIBRU.

• POSSIBRU.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone! I have a small problem. I am dual-booting my HDD with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, and have recently installed MultiBeast, which said it had succeeded. When I restarted, however, it stopped loading at this: "FakeSMC loaded successfully". I also noticed that MultiBeast installed a copy of FakeSMC, which I think is causing the problem. I still have my installation disc if necessary, but I hope I do not have to do an entire reinstall. When I try to startup with -v -f -x, or any combination, it still freezes at startup. If I use -v, I can even see that when it's starting, it says "FakeSMC.kext is trying to use the same class as FakeSMC.kext" Is there any way to *maybe* undo what MultiBeast did?? If so please tell me a fix. I do not have any backups of my system, but I can access the filesystem using HFS Explorer, so I can still extract my data if necessary.

Thank you!
~g123386761

g123386761 said:
Hello everyone! I have a small problem. I am dual-booting my HDD with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, and have recently installed MultiBeast, which said it had succeeded. When I restarted, however, it stopped loading at this: "FakeSMC loaded successfully". I also noticed that MultiBeast installed a copy of FakeSMC, which I think is causing the problem. I still have my installation disc if necessary, but I hope I do not have to do an entire reinstall. When I try to startup with -v -f -x, or any combination, it still freezes at startup. If I use -v, I can even see that when it's starting, it says "FakeSMC.kext is trying to use the same class as FakeSMC.kext" Is there any way to *maybe* undo what MultiBeast did?? If so please tell me a fix. I do not have any backups of my system, but I can access the filesystem using HFS Explorer, so I can still extract my data if necessary.

Thank you!
~g123386761
screw it :p I just reinstalled SN :/

Hi g123386761,

you can always undo what MultiBeast did however you have do it manually

browse the the OS X file system using Finder and have a look at the following;

/System/Library/Extensions ( /S/L/E ) - system folder with all OS X Kexts.

/Extra/Extensions ( /E/E ) - a separate folder for custom Kexts to separate them from vanilla Kexts

your org.chameleon.Boot.plist is in /Extra and can be edited to enable different boot options and other support at boot.

if you encounter and error after a failed update in MultiBeast then you can boot into Verbose mode ( -v ) and chances are that the offending file will be displayed on screen.

you can often locate an offending Kext in /S/L/E or /E/E or /E . You could move it to a backup folder or the trash and then replace it with something else that works.

Also have a looks at the vidoes provided by stingwray as they are pretty usefull in understanding how OS X behaves in respect to this topic

http://www.youtube.com/user/deanwrayUK ;)

Robbish said:
Hi g123386761,

you can always undo what MultiBeast did however you have do it manually

browse the the OS X file system using Finder and have a look at the following;

/System/Library/Extensions ( /S/L/E ) - system folder with all OS X Kexts.

/Extra/Extensions ( /E/E ) - a separate folder for custom Kexts to separate them from vanilla Kexts

your org.chameleon.Boot.plist is in /Extra and can be edited to enable different boot options and other support at boot.

if you encounter and error after a failed update in MultiBeast then you can boot into Verbose mode ( -v ) and chances are that the offending file will be displayed on screen.

you can often locate an offending Kext in /S/L/E or /E/E or /E . You could move it to a backup folder or the trash and then replace it with something else that works.

Also have a looks at the vidoes provided by stingwray as they are pretty usefull in understanding how OS X behaves in respect to this topic

http://www.youtube.com/user/deanwrayUK ;)
thank you for the reply! I tried this and nothing different happened :/ Thanks for trying though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back