2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
See how it went here:

After updating to Windows 10 and running it he concludes that:

"It feels like I've just accidentally downloaded some sort of virus
that's doing a bunch of stuff to my computer in the background."

Screen Shot 15.jpg

I can completely sympathize with this guy!!! I've had fresh installs of Windows sitting around doing Windows updates ALL DAY!!! Of course, during the update process, the system is in an unusable state because of the resource drain. Then, at some point, somehow the updates get screwed up and keeps telling me it has to do the same update over and over again. I never resolved the issue and just left it stuck in an un-updateable state... I feel apprehension every time I am about to attempt to update Windows.

Microsoft has full embraced the subscription model and just about everything they sell nowadays is subscription based. The amount of bloat and annoying "in your face" advertisements are pretty well documented. Windows is basically a piece of data collection software.

It's really unfortunate that the world made Windows the de facto standard decades ago... Even to this day, lots of software are Windows only. Fortunately, there are now better tools to make running those apps on macOS or Linux. Hopefully things like Game Porting Toolkit and Proton continue to progress and advance to the point where we can completely avoid Windows forever.

Last edited:
I can completely sympathize with this guy!!! I've had fresh installs of Windows sitting around doing Windows updates ALL DAY!!! Of course, during the update process, the system is in an unusable state because of the resource drain. Then, at some point, somehow the updates get screwed up and keeps telling me it has to do the same update over and over again. I never resolved the issue and just left it stuck in an un-updateable state... I feel apprehension every time I am about to attempt to update Windows.

Microsoft has full embraced the subscription model and just about everything they sell nowadays is subscription based. The amount of bloat and annoying "in your face" advertisements are pretty well documented. Windows is basically a piece of data collection software.

It's really unfortunate that the world made Windows the de facto standard decades ago... Even to this day, lots of software are Windows only. Fortunately, there are now better tools to make running those apps on macOS or Linux. Hopefully things like Game Porting Toolkit and Proton continue to progress and advance to the point where we can completely avoid Windows forever.

I have two windows machines that run software that can not be done by any other way then running windows those two systems are set to run automatic updates and have no issues.

At the office I have a windows machine that runs the very same software it is also fully up to date with all windows updates.

Lastly I have Parallels installed on my M3 Mac Book Pro running windows 11 on Arm so I can use that same software where ever I am without an internet connection. It is also fully up to date without issues.

Maybe it is well documented but I have no in my face advertisements not sure where those are coming from for you or why you have such an issue with your updates. Maybe it is because you are running it on some low end referbished dell or something. Good hardware has a huge impact on how windows runs. Back in my Early years of computing devices like Win Modems, Win Ethernet, Win Video, Cards caused a lot of instability in windows but I was poor and it was what I could afford. When I could afford good hardware windows always ran stellar for me. Windows 2000 Pro (was off the chain stable), Windows ME (was off the chain unstable), Windows XP (by far one of my favs), Windows Vista (never ran it but heard is was bad), Windows 7 (also one of my Favs), Windows 8/8.1 (were a catastrophe but were always stable), Windows 10/11 (seem like a rehash of windows 7/8/8.1), but have by and large been super stable for me with zero update issues. When it comes to Server and enterprise stuff Mac has nothing on Windows and likely never will.

Generally when someone has negative things to say about windows it is a User error or the Users Hardware. Windows is made to run on millions of configurations and thus might have some capability's issues. Mac OS is only as stable as it is because it is designed to run on a specific subset of hardware and as the years pass that subset is going to get smaller and smaller. Respect should be given to Microsoft for what they have accomplished.

See how it went here:

Yep, windows has all these bloat
I have two windows machines that run software that can not be done by any other way then running windows those two systems are set to run automatic updates and have no issues.

At the office I have a windows machine that runs the very same software it is also fully up to date with all windows updates.

Lastly I have Parallels installed on my M3 Mac Book Pro running windows 11 on Arm so I can use that same software where ever I am without an internet connection. It is also fully up to date without issues.

Maybe it is well documented but I have no in my face advertisements not sure where those are coming from for you or why you have such an issue with your updates. Maybe it is because you are running it on some low end referbished dell or something. Good hardware has a huge impact on how windows runs. Back in my Early years of computing devices like Win Modems, Win Ethernet, Win Video, Cards caused a lot of instability in windows but I was poor and it was what I could afford. When I could afford good hardware windows always ran stellar for me. Windows 2000 Pro (was off the chain stable), Windows ME (was off the chain unstable), Windows XP (by far one of my favs), Windows Vista (never ran it but heard is was bad), Windows 7 (also one of my Favs), Windows 8/8.1 (were a catastrophe but were always stable), Windows 10/11 (seem like a rehash of windows 7/8/8.1), but have by and large been super stable for me with zero update issues. When it comes to Server and enterprise stuff Mac has nothing on Windows and likely never will.

Generally when someone has negative things to say about windows it is a User error or the Users Hardware. Windows is made to run on millions of configurations and thus might have some capability's issues. Mac OS is only as stable as it is because it is designed to run on a specific subset of hardware and as the years pass that subset is going to get smaller and smaller. Respect should be given to Microsoft for what they have accomplished.
I used to feel that way about Windows and at that time I was a bit more of an expert (family and friends IT dude). I really don't feel that way anymore although I have it installed on two machines no issues and just did two fresh installs on a couple of machines I'll have for sale on Ebay. It's bloatware to start and yes you can configure what you turn off or don't want installed but not out of the box and it takes some degree of experience to get under the hood. It's better at supporting different hardware as you say and that and the server stuff.
Have you tried the new 'Outlook" that replaces Microsoft Mail? Oh boy.

Yep, windows has all these bloat

I used to feel that way about Windows and at that time I was a bit more of an expert (family and friends IT dude). I really don't feel that way anymore although I have it installed on two machines no issues and just did two fresh installs on a couple of machines I'll have for sale on Ebay. It's bloatware to start and yes you can configure what you turn off or don't want installed but not out of the box and it takes some degree of experience to get under the hood. It's better at supporting different hardware as you say and that and the server stuff.
Have you tried the new 'Outlook" that replaces Microsoft Mail? Oh boy.

Bloated for sure as it runs a lot of background stuff that is not really needed and yes it might take a little work to turn it off. However, still not sure where the advertising comes in... I do not get advertisements, I also have received free updates for all windows versions since they moved from windows 7/8/8.1 to windows 10/11 subscription. I only use one program in windows so I have not looked at Outlook on windows but I have been using it on the Mac side for a while I do not find it to be any better or worse then Mac Mail program.

Bloated for sure as it runs a lot of background stuff that is not really needed and yes it might take a little work to turn it off. However, still not sure where the advertising comes in... I do not get advertisements, I also have received free updates for all windows versions since they moved from windows 7/8/8.1 to windows 10/11 subscription. I only use one program in windows so I have not looked at Outlook on windows but I have been using it on the Mac side for a while I do not find it to be any better or worse then Mac Mail program.
I wonder if advertisements are tied to the initial settings you agree to during install. I usually turn everything off but if that wasn’t done then that might be the difference.
I only mention Outlook because it wanted me to update from Mail and after I was done I had an advertisement in my inbox from Macys. It gave me the option to turn off advertisements but I clicked by it for the time being. I never use Windows so I’ll deal with it later, hopefully there is no cost involved but I wouldn’t be surprised.

My Windows update issues were with earlier iterations of Windows 10. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with the version of Windows 11 that came with my newest PC. But, to be honest, I have not spent much time in Windows at all. It's almost always booted in to Linux.

Every time I boot in to Windows 11, one of the first things I see is the One Drive thing. I don't have any account with them. I have no interst in using them. I had to follow a guide to minimize that junk.

It should not matter if a system is low end, high end, refurbished, or brand new. If there is no problem with the hardware and it's listed as compatible with the OS, it should not have update issues. I'll be the first one to admit that, most of the time, I have no idea what the hell is going on in Windows and I do have an easier times installing macOS on unsupported hardware than I have with installing and updating Windows supported hardware.

I never really messed with Windows until Macs went Intel. Even then, my experimentation was very limited. I tinkered more when I started hackintoshing but was discouraged very quickly. It wasn't until last November that I purchased my first PC brand new and it was mostly to run Batocera (Linux), not Windows. So, yes, I'm very much a Windows noob.

My home lab stuff is all on Linux and macOS. I have no interest in running any Windows server. I don't have the time to waste.

My issues may very well be user error. I have no idea. All I did was go to Settings and click Update...

I think that Linux compatibility with hardware is even more impressive than Windows.

Last edited:
My Windows update issues were with earlier iterations of Windows 10. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with the version of Windows 11 that came with my newest PC. But, to be honest, I have not spent much time in Windows at all. It's almost always booted in to Linux.

Every time I boot in to Windows 11, one of the first things I see is the One Drive thing. I don't have any account with them. I have no interst in using them. I had to follow a guide to minimize that junk.

Apple bugs you to sign in one drive is iCloud not sure I understand the issue with this.

It should not matter if a system is low end, high end, refurbished, or brand new. If there is no problem with the hardware and it's listed as compatible with the OS, it should not have update issues. I'll be the first one to admit that, most of the time, I have no idea what the hell is going on in Windows and I do have an easier times installing macOS on unsupported hardware than I have with installing and updating Windows supported hardware.

I never really messed with Windows until Macs went Intel. Even then, my experimentation was very limited. I tinkered more when I started hackintoshing but was discouraged very quickly. It wasn't until last November that I purchased my first PC brand new and it was mostly to run Batocera (Linux), not Windows. So, yes, I'm very much a Windows noob.

My home lab stuff is all on Linux and macOS. I have no interest in running any Windows server. I don't have the time to waste.

My issues may very well be user error. I have no idea. All I did was go to Settings and click Update...

I think that Linux compatibility with hardware is even more impressive than Windows.
I am sure somewhere deep in the ULA it says that supported hardware may not function in all configurations. Unlike apple drivers, windows drivers are supplied from the parts manufacture even the ones included in the windows install package. Windows like to be the boss of the system if your using a boot loader to multi boot that could be part of your issue. I have seen a lot of posts around here about how windows did something and broke the Mac side. I am blessed in that I do not have to use any system to dual boot.

PS while you can copy Mac OS where every you want system to system if you transplant a windows hard drive expect everything to blow up. New system Fresh install always.

Back