Contribute
Register

For anyone using old Clover guide, please update to the latest one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BIOS fan control on most PC laptops is sub-par, almost without exception. It is just not something PC manufacturers care about or pay attention to. It is the small details (and serious cost cutting on materials/workmanship) like this that separate quality computers such as those that Apple produces and PC companies.

You can use DSDT patches to control the fan to your liking to improve the situation on OS X. Some alternates are easy enough to apply via the ProBook Installer. If you wish to customize, see here for further details: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

Yes i ve seen the alternative options in probook installer. Basically there are two options the quiet fan which results in higher temps which i dont like to use since t may reduce the lifespan of laptop . The other one is readings only which is the i currently use. ( btw why is it named like that? Hwmonitor displays the fan sensos values no matter what patch is used. Or it means that it uses the fan speed which is set in bios? ) . Anyway i will stick with the readings only since the temps are lower. I had the impression that with cooling base since it lowers the temps the fan speed would lower too, but if the value is decided from bios the cooling base cant affect the fan speed, right?

Yes i ve seen the alternative options in probook installer. Basically there are two options the quiet fan which results in higher temps which i dont like to use since t may reduce the lifespan of laptop . The other one is readings only which is the i currently use. ( btw why is it named like that? Hwmonitor displays the fan sensos values no matter what patch is used. Or it means that it uses the fan speed which is set in bios? ) .

Without any DSDT patches for fan, you will not get readings for fan speed at all from HwMonitor.

Anyway i will stick with the readings only since the temps are lower. I had the impression that with cooling base since it lowers the temps the fan speed would lower too, but if the value is decided from bios the cooling base cant affect the fan speed, right?

You can build your own fan control table (FTAB) that fits your needs.

The cooling base can only lower temperatures. Whether that affects fan speed, depends on which fan control software you're using and how much lower the temperatures actually are.

Without any DSDT patches for fan, you will not get readings for fan speed at all from HwMonitor.

You can build your own fan control table (FTAB) that fits your needs.

The cooling base can only lower temperatures. Whether that affects fan speed, depends on which fan control software you're using and how much lower the temperatures actually are.

It seems i was worrying for nothing . I left the laptop idle for some minutes and watching the hwmonitor as soon as the cpu heatsink went to 39 degrees (not the cpu temp , the heatsink) the fan speed got low at the lower level of 2297 - 2318 . So it just needed time to lower the temps and therefore the fan speed.

I understand what cpu temps are in hwmonitor , but what does ambient and heatsink temperature represent ?

It seems i was worrying for nothing . I left the laptop idle for some minutes and watching the hwmonitor as soon as the cpu heatsink went to 39 degrees (not the cpu temp , the heatsink) the fan speed got low at the lower level of 2297 - 2318 . So it just needed time to lower the temps and therefore the fan speed.

I understand what cpu temps are in hwmonitor , but what does ambient and heatsink temperature represent ?

Ambient is a sensor somewhere within the chassis.
Heatsink is a sensor on the heatsink itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back