Contribute
Register

Fleischs cube project with GA-H77TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good Fleisch.
Can you measure the hole spacing please on the GPU fixings - I am thinking of getting this card for a project and looking at swapping out the cooler.
Many thanks!

Hi!
Unfortunately I can't find the old cooler anymore, that would have been the easiest war to measure it.
I mounted an Accelero L2 PLUS arctic cooler on it. Didn't have to drill new holes...
I'll check next time i disassemble.
Fleisch

Hi!
Unfortunately I can't find the old cooler anymore, that would have been the easiest war to measure it.
I mounted an Accelero L2 PLUS arctic cooler on it. Didn't have to drill new holes...
I'll check next time i disassemble.
Fleisch
Okay - think I found the spec though. Standard for 7750 seems to be 43mm x 43mm does that sound about right to you?

Okay - think I found the spec though. Standard for 7750 seems to be 43mm x 43mm does that sound about right to you?

That sounds good, yes...

So my cube has become my main machine by now. There is still room for improvement but I'm quite happy already.
I thought i'd post a couple more pictures.
After almost finishing the project I have to say that my respect for anyone who succeeded in building a hackintosh cube grew by every hour I spent. So many times I had to disassemble, rearrange, buy further parts. My skills at modding are very moderate indeed and I didn't have a lot of tools. I did one cut of the bottom plate with a borrowed dremel 300. The rest was done bey drilling and lots and lots of filing :D
I the and I have a working computer in the cube case with the zotac z77 itx motherboard, intel i7 3770T, 16gb ram, 256 msata corsair m4 hdd, and sony blu ray slimline burner. I exchanged the wifi mini pci card for a atheros combo card (bluetooth is still not working, so I'm using extra dongle for that).
Since wifi reception was terrible and I also didn't like the external antennas at the bottom I built in internal wifi antennas from a very old acer laptop.

So...a couple pictures:
For the bluray drive I cut the cover of the original drive as show, so I could mount the new drive.
In the middle: The basic hardware setup, GPU still with the original cooler.
On the right: The 7750 low profile with arctic accelero L2 plus cooler (fan removed); the graphics card is positioned. My first plan to have the cooler pointing to the center of the cube didn't work, the pci extension would have been too long.
I fittet two 40mm tiny noctua fans to the cooler that blow air from bottom to the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 189
First picture: The inside right now. Many cables have to be shortened. The blue wire is SATA. I put a noctua 60mm fan at the bottom that sucks in air and blows it to the top. The 40mm fans are barely visible.
The second picture shows the 40mm fans that try desperately to keep the gpu below 1000°C.
Thirt: That's what the bottem looks like: For the Graphics adapter I glued the slot bracket to the case cause the original cutout looked terrible and I couldn't position the graphics card that well.
On the motherboard side of the case I cut out pretty much all of the bottom. The plan is to use some kind of mesh to replace the perforatet aluminum. I still prefer this "open look" to the cheap IO bracket that came with the motherboard...
Fourth: pretty much all the hardware installed, messy cable management.
Fifth: The way I'm using it while typing this.

It turned out ok, no comparison to some of the very advanced mods of other geeks in this forum. But so far it does the trick and runs stable and rather quiet. I can't read out the gpu temps and haven't gotten around to install windows to do so.
CPU temperatures are just below 50°C on light usage. When gaming (I tried diablo III and counter strike global offensive) temps rise to levels just below 70°C.
I bet the GPU is around 100°C for sure...

All the software installation was done with the help of this forum. Thx to minihack and giacomoleopardo for the most part!
So...I'll probably put my G5 mod to rest soon.
Feel free to pose any questions If there are any. I'm happy to explain everything about this messy cube mod :D

Cheers everyone!
Fleisch

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    980.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 384
Congratulations on getting your build up and running and sticking to your goal of having a dedicated GPU.

Since wifi reception was terrible and I also didn't like the external antennas at the bottom I built in internal wifi antennas from a very old acer laptop.
Do you have a picture of your antennas? I am still undecided about my wifi antennas.

Do you have a way of measuring the total power (watts) used by the computer, would be interested to know this also.

You did a great job, Fleisch! Very well executed.

:clap:

Ersterhernd

Well done Fleisch, I am also going to borrow your idea if that is okay. I am going to try a version of my Cube with the same GPU card as you and add a water block to it (as the loop is there I might as well see how it performs!) to see how that works out........it'll be a nice experiment. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back