Contribute
Register

Flashback Trojan infects hundred thousand macs a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
HOW TO DETECT IF YOU HAVE THE FLASHBACK TROJAN

First, open Terminal from your Utilities folder. If you've never ever done that before, don't be scared! It's a nice way to turn your Mac into a computer you actually have some control over.

Then, once you're in, follow these easy steps to detection:

1. Run the following command in Terminal:

defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment

2. Take note of the value, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
3. Proceed to step 8 if you got the following error message:

"The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info, LSEnvironment) does not exist"

8. Run the following command in Terminal:

defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES

9. Take note of the result. Your system is already clean of this variant if you got an error message similar to the following:

"The domain/default pair of (/Users/joe/.MacOSX/environment, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES) does not exist"

SOURCE: http://gizmodo.com/5899352/mac-flashbac ... 0-infected

TROJAN REMOVAL HELP: http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan- ... ck_i.shtml

What is the best anti-virus software to run on mac (something that isn't clunky and doesn't slow the system down)? Is Little Snitch all that is needed to get by? Or, do you recommend a complete anti-virus package?

tomhukk said:
What is the best anti-virus software to run on mac (something that isn't clunky and doesn't slow the system down)? Is Little Snitch all that is needed to get by? Or, do you recommend a complete anti-virus package?

There's a list at Apple.com. Personally I don't use anti-virus.

tomhukk said:
I've tried Kaspersky. It didn't slow down my system too much, but I didn't like it much.

*bump*

Please don't forget to update your system all, if you haven't done so already!

tomhukk said:

I don't run AV on Mac systems, in general they aren't as effective as they are on Windows OS, but that's due to some of the other controls that OSX runs. That and the number of malware that target OSX are small in comparison.

Little Snitch is not an AV product. It's a network monitor that will tell you when something tries to reach out of your box. More akin to something like Zone Alarm firewall than AV. If the malware uses something like Safari to reach out and you have a rule in Little Snitch that always allows Safari out you won't see anything unless you happen to notice Safari reaching out when you don't have it open. I do run Little Snitch. It's interesting to see how much chatter there is back to help.apple.com.

The best AV on the market - inserting your brain between your finger and the mouse button. :p

nomad9 said:
The best AV on the market - inserting your brain between your finger and the mouse button. :p

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back