Contribute
Register

[FIX] "Window Server Service only ran for 0 seconds" with dual-GPU

I still got the error even-though I already disabled my AMD GPU with SSDT patch also patch from your workaround too.
I'm f*cked up somewhere?

Here's my dump lists.

No _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
Read post #1, "Other considerations".

No _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
Shoot!
I forgot to do that. Any way to know if it works or not? or do I need to check it with installing the high sierra?

Shoot!
I forgot to do that. Any way to know if it works or not? or do I need to check it with installing the high sierra?

You will notice the difference in ioreg if you boot your Sierra with this setup.
Or you could try to boot the High Sierra installer.

You will notice the difference in ioreg if you boot your Sierra with this setup.
Or you could try to boot the High Sierra installer.

In the end I just installed the High Sierra.
And yeah it works now. Thanks anyway.

Hello!

Trying to install High Sierra on my Intel i7-4712HQ, Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia K1100M (dual switching GPU, hence the issue)
Got all the way to the "window server service only ran for 0 seconds" issue that this post is about. (Sorry for not filling my profile with all these values, but the specific models were not available in the dropdown I have put them in my signature instead.

I have extensively read all the posts on this topic (here and the other threads) and have determined:
  1. I cannot disable the Nvidia card in BIOS
  2. I have tried the spoof method described here after determining the BIOS name of the nvidia card to be _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP (my Clover.zip with the spoof aml in /patched is attached but doesn't seem to fix anything (should I be able to see the spoof being loaded somewhere in the clover interface?).
  3. Have not tried the _INI/_OFF full patching yet, hoping method 2 (simpler) would work. However I am open to this and have a general understanding of what needs to be done but may have additional questions.

Other notes on what i have done so far for method 2:
Your tips and help are incredibly appreciated!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 234
Hello!

Trying to install High Sierra on my Intel i7-4712HQ, Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia K1100M (dual switching GPU, hence the issue)
Got all the way to the "window server service only ran for 0 seconds" issue that this post is about. (Sorry for not filling my profile with all these values, but the specific models were not available in the dropdown I have put them in my signature instead.

I have extensively read all the posts on this topic (here and the other threads) and have determined:
  1. I cannot disable the Nvidia card in BIOS
  2. I have tried the spoof method described here after determining the BIOS name of the nvidia card to be _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP (my Clover.zip with the spoof aml in /patched is attached but doesn't seem to fix anything (should I be able to see the spoof being loaded somewhere in the clover interface?).
  3. Have not tried the _INI/_OFF full patching yet, hoping method 2 (simpler) would work. However I am open to this and have a general understanding of what needs to be done but may have additional questions.

Other notes on what i have done so far for method 2:
Your tips and help are incredibly appreciated!

You have an existing _DSM method at the _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP. It is in SSDT-13.
The reason you have no boot entries when using my plists is because you forgot HFSPlus.efi in drivers64UEFI.

You have an existing _DSM method at the _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP. It is in SSDT-13.
The reason you have no boot entries when using my plists is because you forgot HFSPlus.efi in drivers64UEFI.

Thanks so much! Somehow I didn't spot that _DSM method (despite my grepping lol) and with the HFSplus.efi, I used your config and your _DSM patch and was quickly able to boot to the setup screen.

Now I have to figure out why its not accepting any mouse/keyboard/touchscreen input to actually get through the setup but thats a seperate issue! Thanks for the expert advice and quick response! Really appreciate it!

hey I have a desktop I'm sorry I know this is for laptops but I have a q what should I add inaddproperties are the values specific for my pc or should I just copy

No luck after i applied 3rd method,still can't reach High Sierra Installer,,,

Attachments

• All Files.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 241
hey I have a desktop I'm sorry I know this is for laptops but I have a q what should I add inaddproperties are the values specific for my pc or should I just copy

Same properties for desktop vs. laptop.
I have used both methods (SSDT and AddProperties) on my Z270/i7-7700k/Nvidia 1050Ti system.
Both work.

Back