280x + HD4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, just to share, I think I found the problem with 4 dimm memory instability on haswell gigabyte (Z87/H87)

I collect a lot of information about memory changes from z68/z77 to z87 and found that memory subtimings has changed, and now we have "haswell compatible memory" for some brands. I didnt find all changes but it clear to me that tRFC and tFAW have higher values now.

and comparing some memory brands who has 16GB (2 sticks) and 32GB (4 sticks) on the same model/IC, I also found tRFC and tFAW higher on the 4 sticks kit.

so, first conclusion is: HASWELL NEEDS HIGHER tRFC and tFAW and 4 DIMM needs even HIGHER values.

I dont know how other motherboard brands solve this, but gigabyte still isnt fix the 4 dimm problem on their boards, you can see a few users happy using brand new memories from QVL (gigabyte have a very small ones) but there is a lot of people still getting problems.

I have a old 16GB 4 DIMM memory kit with works fine at 2 DIMM XMP 1600Mhz 1.35v at my H87 board, but wont work at all with 4 DIMM. i try everything: lowering timing/latency, increase System Agent,, IO Digital/Analog voltage and several others tricks without success. But I didnt try on sub-timings values and when I see the values I notice that are VERY LOW tRFC and tFAW compating to other 4 DIMM kit. it seems tRRD is also related to tFAW, so i recommend higher a little (I use 8)

so, if you can try a little experiment with 4 dimm, do this:

1) note (or print/photo) all RAM TIMINGS you are using on XMP profile.
2) disable XMP profile and put memory timing on MANUAL
3) change manually all timings values to the XMP values you printed, but increase tRFC to 280˜310 and tFAW to 50˜80, also change tRRD to 8 or higher ..... it seems this could solve the problem with 4 dimm... (**)
4) adjust memory voltage to XMP values and memory multiplier to 1600MHz (depending on RAM, it could be changed...)
5) put the memory mode to NORMAL or ENHANCE STABILITY. verify if command rate is 2T

Reboot and check in BIOS if the values are ACTUALLY set (in my H87, they only changed after a cold boot: remove power cord - or turn of power switch if you have - for 20 seconds and turn on again).

do a Cold boot and check if the values still there.

then go to OSX/Windows and run some benchmarks. check the timing values inside windows (AIDA, Everest, etc. I don't know how to check in OSX) to see if it still there even if you reboot or cold boot.

You don't need to change voltages or other settings with works well with 2 DIMM, just these two timing values.

(**) these values almost double from memory kits with use double side ram or has 2 and 4 dimm configurations (same model/chip). So it seems theses values have direct relation with memory density. Also, older memory modules (launched before haswell) has 120˜160 tRFC and 28˜40 tFAW, but the new ones (advertising as haswell compatible) has higher values. tRRD is related to tFAW, the minimum possible value is 4 and some 4 dimm kits on gigabyte QVL has tRRD 6, 7 or 8. I recommend 8 for stabilty.

gigabyte bios has bugs, in my case it require a cold boot to change values, but i think it is possible to do manually solve this issue if we understand exactly where the problems is.

share your comments here about this experiment. please.

at least with my memory kit, it seems to be solved. I'm now running 4 DIMM 16GB 1.35v 1600MHz replicating XMP profile at manual mode (but increase tRFC and tFAW) without changing any other voltage parameters for 30 hours free of crashes.

(english is not my natural language)

Just to confirm my theory, i have a crash yesterday so I contact G-Skill to verify some subtimings because they confirm to me that my memory kit is compatible with gigabyte H87M-D3H

so, when the data came, I notice that they are using a new version than mine, the XMP profile of the new version has a few different values from mine, and one of them is tRFC with is much higher. Also they recommend to use 4 DIMM in 1.5v (the original spec from this kit is 1.35v)

So, i am now running a again with 4 dimm installed but raise ram voltage to 1.5v and also raise System Agent, IO Digital/Analog +0.1v (with is very safe)

I believe the 4 dimm issue at gigabyte boards could be solve using a combination of 2 tricks. raising voltage (dram, system agent, io digital/analog, and probably PCH) a little bit and adjust tRFC, tFAW and tRDD to higher values.

but this is not a "one trick for all combinations of memory/board", is just a path to follow to solve any particular problem.

just tried this out, well see what happens

Initially I solved it completely by increasing IO Analogue, IO Digital and System Agent voltage, all three by +0,200v.

Then Bios F9a (latest beta for my UD5H) came out and now the system is completely stable with no voltage increase requirements or any other non-standard BIOS setting. Since F9a, 4 dimms in my z87x-ud5h became a non issue. It took them GA long to fix the problem, and there's still little information. We've learned this bios fixes the problem just by trying, cause they haven't said a word as far as I know.

Hello
This problem right here has been driving me absolutely nuts. I have tried everything listed in this thread and the box still locks up sometimes after a few minutes, or sometimes much quicker.
If I take 2 sticks of RAM out and just run with a single pair it runs fine for days. Never locking up. Put all 4 sticks in and it's hard locking in minutes.

I've got the latest BIOS firmware, tried everything listed exactly as it is written. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this problem? I know it's memory, 4 sticks vs. 2.

Please. :beachball:

Hello
This problem right here has been driving me absolutely nuts. I have tried everything listed in this thread and the box still locks up sometimes after a few minutes, or sometimes much quicker.
If I take 2 sticks of RAM out and just run with a single pair it runs fine for days. Never locking up. Put all 4 sticks in and it's hard locking in minutes.

I've got the latest BIOS firmware, tried everything listed exactly as it is written. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this problem? I know it's memory, 4 sticks vs. 2.

Please. :beachball:
Did you try the latest beta bios for your board?

I know its probably not what you want to hear, but turn your ram down more, to 1ghz or so, just try it, can't hurt to try eh ? Also, try bringing your base clock down just 1% or so. you can also consider if you really need 32GB (16GB is more than enough for me, I always have extra)

Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing a beta bios on the gigabyte download page. Only the latest F9. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? I'm real close to buying an ASUS board and using the Gigabyte board as a frisbee for my dog.

Just a quick update, Took 2 sticks out and its been running non-stop for 5 days. Never had this problem until I updated to 10.9.2. with everything previous10.8.x and 10.9.1, 4 sticks ran fine.

This is without a doubt the LAST Gigabyte product I'll ever buy. I have Asus monitors, video cards, etc and they are rock solid.

I'm not looking forward to a full OS re-install but 32GB of stable RAM is worth the trouble. 16 just fills up too fast when running VMs.

I just wanted to post a thank you note; oculto's instructions worked perfectly for me. All four dimms installed with no stability issues and no sacrifice to frequency/timings (previously stuck in an endless reboot cycle with >2).

I'll have to read up on what the heck all these settings mean now :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back