Contribute
Register

Fix For Dark Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
listed in device manager. but after firmware upgrade change from hd fixed to sonix....not work in windows and ML.

That's strange.
Are you sure the flashing process was done according to the instructions?

Boot in Win 7 and install this driver:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-94000-1

...then try to flash FW once more. For some reason generic Windows 7 driver does not allow for proper flashing. Flasher utility will report a successful process.
You should get the device "HD Webcam Fixed" with FW v. 99.99 (99.89 was the old FW revision).
In OS X, in System Report webcam is reported as "Chicony" brand. At least this was the case for me.
Good luck.

PS: One more thing. Give us the hex Vid and Pid of your camera device listed in Device Manager, in Windows.

just a note ,have a microsoft hd6000 on my hack and the app from netkas has cured the over exposure

That's strange.
Are you sure the flashing process was done according to the instructions?

Boot in Win 7 and install this driver:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-94000-1

...then try to flash FW once more. For some reason generic Windows 7 driver does not allow for proper flashing. Flasher utility will report a successful process.
You should get the device "HD Webcam Fixed" with FW v. 99.99 (99.89 was the old FW revision).
In OS X, in System Report webcam is reported as "Chicony" brand. At least this was the case for me.
Good luck.

PS: One more thing. Give us the hex Vid and Pid of your camera device listed in Device Manager, in Windows.

First, thank you

The drive that you suggested can not be installed. when i run i receive this error message: HP webcam device was not found. I get the same message when I try to run the upgrade again. This is in the Device Manager: USB \ VID_0C45 & PID_6350 & REV_0000 & MI_00
USB \ VID_0C45 & PID_6350 & MI_00

The drive that you suggested can not be installed. when i run i receive this error message: HP webcam device was not found. I get the same message when I try to run the upgrade again. This is in the Device Manager: USB \ VID_0C45 & PID_6350 & REV_0000 & MI_00
USB \ VID_0C45 & PID_6350 & MI_00

Bad news my friend, I think I know what happened.

Unlike other Probooks, the HD Webcam in your case was not made by Chicony or any other compatible vendor. Hence the unfamiliar Vid/Pid. It should be something similar to:
Product ID: 0xb270
Vendor ID: 0x04f2 (Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.)

But if you read the release notes for the FW update package
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...EnvOID=4059&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

HP specifically mentions which vendors are supported. Yours obviously is not and now you have crossflashed a non compatible FW which renders the device inoperable.
You should try talking to HP about your problem stressing more than enough the REASON why you resorted to this procedure, in other words try to explain to them the original low brightness issue.
Most probably they won't offer you any acceptable solution in which case you are on your own. Perhaps you could find a flasher for your specific webcam model in hope of restoring the original FW but I personally would not bet on that horse.

Now, if you are competent enough you could replace the broken webcam module with a new one from ebay, in a DIY manner.
There are lots of them to choose from. Bad thing is you can't know the Vid/Pid beforehand.
Here is one of the cheapest items:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-4530S-85...ng_Webcams&hash=item4ab209a2d4#ht_1900wt_1114

You are gonna need this:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03054480/c03054480.pdf
Look at p. 107

Again I wish you good luck.
Gonna edit my previous message and make a note for the rest of the users.

Thanks, I bought on ebay and I'll replace it

So here's what happened. I bought a Probook 4530s. The XU015UT#ABA model and after the help of the many wonderful people on this forum (Rehabman...big thanks) i was able to get everything i cared about working ok. Everything except my webcam. For some reason, my webcam appeared really dark and i couldnt make out an image especially in poor light. I read this forum here

Fix For Dark Camera

so i decided to boot into windows and update the firmware, the only problem was that it appears that the module i had for my webcam was the unsupported one so i couldnt flash the firmware. I eventually decided to buy another 4530s with the proper webcam module so i could flash. so i went ahead and bought a new 4530s model A7K05UT#ABA with the intention of taking the other back. i loaded my HD from the older laptop into the new one and everthing boots fine. I went into windows and flashed the new firmware on the webcam. i tested it fine and windows and it works perfectly. i now load Mountain Lion, and launch face time and Photo Booth and the video im getting appears pixellated. the best description i could give is that the video appears 10x zoomed in. that by the way is not an exaggeration. I dont know what to do or why its like that. i looked in the system information under USB and this is what i see.

HP HD Webcam [Fixed]:

Product ID: 0x2888
Vendor ID: 0x1bcf (Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.)
Version: 10.19
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Sunplus IT Co
Location ID: 0x1d140000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

what does all this mean? can anyone help me make sense of it? i've search high and low and i havent seen anyone else with this issue besides me. anyone has any ideas?

There is a firmware solution for this problem.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...wLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-100718-1

I've successfully flashed the latest version FW (rev. 99.99).
Only downside is that the flasher utility requires windows.

ATTENTION!
DO NOT flash the aforementioned FW update package unless you are 100% sure your Probook has a compatible webcam module. Read the RELEASE NOTES carefully.
Crossflashing the wrong FW will result in a DEAD webcam module.
True story, read comments below.

Strange, how many people have had success with this?
I flashed it, yet the camera is still dark at all times.

I flashed mine successfuly but my camera is also still dark.............
montyboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back