Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't panic- I've seen it more times than I care to remember where I hit the power button and a system doesn't post, but later it does after I toggle something that was loose.

Double check all your connections. For the power-supply connections, make sure both are pressed in far enough for the clips to connect. Even if they look connected to you, pull them out and connect them again to be absolutely sure.

Most of all- make absolutely certain your RAM is seated properly. When installing, the hammer-clips at the slot ends should be pulled fully outward and when the RAM is pushed completely into place the clips should also click into place. Often a system won't boot with the RAM improperly seated even slightly. Again, if it's not posting after double-checking the power connectors- reseat the RAM even if it looks perfectly seated to you.

(Also: after checking everything else, try installing just one stick of RAM and not the other and seeing if it will post with just one installed. It's rare, but a bad RAM stick can tank an entire system. Chances are that it wouldn't be both sticks.)

Double-check your front panel connectors. I'd plug in the reset switch just in case.

If still out of the case, turn your board over and make sure the plastic tabs holding the heatsink are fully pushed through. The black pins should be obviously expanding the white outer connectors. I've seen occasions when an improper heatsink install makes the system auto-shutdown before it overheats.

If all the obvious easy stuff still fails- are you 100% certain you installed the CPU properly in the slot? (Sometimes it can be confusing, but the two notches on the slot and CPU should line up.)

Hopefully it's something obvious and simple and you can figure it out and get it working.

I've taken it apart - completely, put it back together, making sure the power connections are completed pushed down in, making sure the processor is sitting properly in the seat...

Then this is all it does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_MZAvUOP4

It acts like it gets power, then shuts down, then restarts, and shuts down...

I've reboxed everything tonight. Tempted to let it go for the evening, try again tomorrow and if it happens again do a return to Microcenter.

Just to clarify- you made sure RAM was seated properly, and tried booting with one just one stick of RAM- both sticks? Because unseated or bad RAM can definitely cause that to happen. Just last week I had a friend tell me his system wouldn't post (it did practically the same thing) I checked the usual suspects, and when I pulled one of the RAM sticks, the system booted. Same stick back in- it wouldn't boot.

If every possible thing you can try yourself has produced the same result, hopefully you can have Microcenter test each component until they find the culprit and replace it for you. Anyway, good luck and sorry for the bad experience with this.

Just to clarify- you made sure RAM was seated properly, and tried booting with one just one stick of RAM- both sticks? Because unseated or bad RAM can definitely cause that to happen. Just last week I had a friend tell me his system wouldn't post (it did practically the same thing) I checked the usual suspects, and when I pulled one of the RAM sticks, the system booted. Same stick back in- it wouldn't boot.

If every possible thing you can try yourself has produced the same result, hopefully you can have Microcenter test each component until they find the culprit and replace it for you. Anyway, good luck and sorry for the bad experience with this.

It happens; right?

I did go through and test each ram stick separately and in either slot just to make sure. I pushed the end clips all the way down and then firmly inserted the ram into the slow hearing it click and then the ends pop up.

This is my first build ever - so I'm probably overly anxious which is why I want to try and sleep on it and do it fresh in the morning tomorrow before traveling back to Microcenter (it's an hour drive one way for me).

Have you tried resetting the BIOS? This kind of start-stop-start-stop can occur if the BIOS settings are wrong (for example: bad overclocking settings).

Have you tried resetting the BIOS? This kind of start-stop-start-stop can occur if the BIOS settings are wrong (for example: bad overclocking settings).

I actually took back the mobo, proc, ram and psu to microcenter today and just completed the initial build. And it powers up!!!!

Progress.

Now to install the other ram, and build my hackintosh!

I actually took back the mobo, proc, ram and psu to microcenter today and just completed the initial build. And it powers up!!!!

Progress.

Now to install the other ram, and build my hackintosh!

All - I just want to say thanks! After a few false starts; it is finally completed. My build specs:

PSU
Corsair TX650M

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI

Ram
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (8x2 1600)

Processor
Intel i7 3770K

Video
EVGA GTX660Ti

Case
BitFenix Prodigy Black

Already Had the 1TB Western Digital Black Hard Drive, a set of Logitech Z5 Speakers, Samsung SA300 Monitor and the Logitech Solar Keyboard and Mouse.

The next thing I want to purchase is a DW1515 airport card and bluetooth dongle. However; I am going to play around with the system for a bit before I do any other changes.

Hello all; I've enjoyed my BitFenix Prodigy Case but am very tempted to buy one of these when they are released.

Thoughts?

evga Hadron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back