Graphics
660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I decided late last year I wanted to try and build a dual boot Hackintosh/Win7 computer.

I went ahead and followed the buying guide for the CustoMac Mini Deluxe; got all of the parts today.

Then I went and looked at the installation manual for the motherboard and it said I needed thermal grease.

Darn it; I didn't buy that when I was out and about so the parts are getting placed back in their packaging until I can purchase the grease.

Are you using a heatsink other than the stock one that came with the CPU? (If it's a boxed CPU)
If using a stock Intel heatsink, it will have thermal compound on it already. (looks like three strips of grey on the bottom of it).

It is the stock so I will continue my build. I see the grey strips along the bottom.

It's very exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time :think:

Okay so the initial part of the build is done.

I installed the motherboard, the psu, the ram, and the harddrive.

There are two fans included in the bitfenix prodigy case and I only had a space to connect one fan; leaving the rear unhooked.

Do I need something like this for the other fan?

http://www.frys.com/product/3416413...HxZdu2WtQ__.node4?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also - when plugging in the PSU to the motherboard the Corsair TX650M had an 8 pin connection where as the motherboard only had a 4 pin. Is it wrong to just plug in the appropriate part to the motherboard leaving the other unplugged?

This is my first build ever; I apologize for all the questions.

I can't get it to boot. All it seems like it does is power cycle...

Not sure how else to explain it. It doesn't get to a boot or bios screen, just gets power, cycles, then restarts the power cycle all over again.

I can't get it to boot. All it seems like it does is power cycle...

Not sure how else to explain it. It doesn't get to a boot or bios screen, just gets power, cycles, then restarts the power cycle all over again.
Did you connect the cpu connector for the mobo?

Can you post any pics of your setup... Emphasis on all your connections? Have you seen a mobo splash screen at all after powering on?

No splash screen at all.

Yes - here are the pics. IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_0371.jpgIMG_0370.jpgIMG_0374.jpg

Don't panic- I've seen it more times than I care to remember where I hit the power button and a system doesn't post, but later it does after I toggle something that was loose.

Double check all your connections. For the power-supply connections, make sure both are pressed in far enough for the clips to connect. Even if they look connected to you, pull them out and connect them again to be absolutely sure.

Most of all- make absolutely certain your RAM is seated properly. When installing, the hammer-clips at the slot ends should be pulled fully outward and when the RAM is pushed completely into place the clips should also click into place. Often a system won't boot with the RAM improperly seated even slightly. Again, if it's not posting after double-checking the power connectors- reseat the RAM even if it looks perfectly seated to you.

(Also: after checking everything else, try installing just one stick of RAM and not the other and seeing if it will post with just one installed. It's rare, but a bad RAM stick can tank an entire system. Chances are that it wouldn't be both sticks.)

Double-check your front panel connectors. I'd plug in the reset switch just in case.

If still out of the case, turn your board over and make sure the plastic tabs holding the heatsink are fully pushed through. The black pins should be obviously expanding the white outer connectors. I've seen occasions when an improper heatsink install makes the system auto-shutdown before it overheats.

If all the obvious easy stuff still fails- are you 100% certain you installed the CPU properly in the slot? (Sometimes it can be confusing, but the two notches on the slot and CPU should line up.)

Hopefully it's something obvious and simple and you can figure it out and get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back