Graphics
GTX 750Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey guys! I'm looking to build a hackintosh for macOS Sierra.
I've put together a shopping list, but as this is my first build, i'm a little worried about things.
If you have any tips, tricks or thoughts please feel free to share them!

These are the components I've chosen, and I believe all of them were listed in the buyers guide (except for the RAM, my local store doesn't have any of the listed RAM)

MOBO:
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz 32GB

Boot Drive:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 120GB

Storage:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

PSU:
Corsair VS 550W

Worries:
  1. Can I be 100% sure that the thunderbolt port on the Motherboard will work?
  2. The RAM is 2666MHz, but the motherboard only takes 2133MHz natively.
    I've tried to read about XMP, and so i believe it would work on a PC, but is this a risky pick for a noob like myself?
  3. Dual SSD - Is this even necessary? I guess M.2. is better in some way? but the speeds doesn't really look that far apart and if this can add trouble maybe I should just loose the M.2. drive.
  4. Overall, do you think this build would work? I don't mind if iMessage doesn't work or something like that, but I'm really used to a retail mac and I have the illusion that a hackintosh will give the same experience after the setup period.

I'm really grateful and excited for help and advice!
Thanks!

Thunderbolt is hit-or-miss whether it works - you might have to temporarily install Windows to initialize it.

Before you make a final decision on the RAM, go to GA site for the board. Click on the support button and look for the link to the supported memory list. You will find many models of memory tested and supported on the board, most of which will not be in the Buyer's Guide recommended list. Match any supported memory module against what you can purchase locally and get as many as needed to make up the RAM you want. Look for matched kits of the modules if you can find then. As for speed - look at the base speed for the memory bus for the CPU. If you do not plan to OC, ram speed matching or faster will work well. XMP profile for RAM is optional setting in BIOS/UEFI - you can use it or not, your choice.

M.2 drives are faster than SATAIII drives. Use the M.2 drive as your boot drive and the SATA drive as the storage.

Overall, your parts list looks OK.

Thanks for the reply! I went and picked up all the parts today. Thunderbolt is not working currently, but I'm going to try to install windows and initialize it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back