Contribute
Register

First build. Looking for a Thunderbolt mobo. Guide me brethren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700k Coffe Lake
Graphics
GTX 1050 G1
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all! I'm looking to build a hackintosh for my home studio. My interface is thunderbolt (Clarett 8pre X), so I need thunderbolt connectivity. I've seen some other people on the forum dealing with the same one. I've been looking at several TB MB's, but the ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier has caught my eye because it has 2 TB3 ports. I haven't totally decided on the processor yet, but I'm leaning toward the Kaby Lake quad core i7. Does anyone have any experience with these ASRocks or just ASRock in general? I'm not familiar with them. Are they something I should steer clear of? Any guidance is very much appreciated. I've been perusing the forum for a couple days now trying glean as much knowledge as possible from you all and it's giving me confidence to get this rolling.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all! I'm looking to build a hackintosh for my home studio. My interface is thunderbolt (Clarett 8pre X), so I need thunderbolt connectivity. I've seen some other people on the forum dealing with the same one. I've been looking at several TB MB's, but the ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier has caught my eye because it has 2 TB3 ports. I haven't totally decided on the processor yet, but I'm leaning toward the Kaby Lake quad core i7. Does anyone have any experience with these ASRocks or just ASRock in general? I'm not familiar with them. Are they something I should steer clear of? Any guidance is very much appreciated. I've been perusing the forum for a couple days now trying glean as much knowledge as possible from you all and it's giving me confidence to get this rolling.

Thanks in advance!

I think it may be difficult for you to find that motherboard now especially since the release of the newer Z370. Are you sure you can get that board if necessary?

I can't comment on the suitability of ASRock since I don't use them myself.

I think it may be difficult for you to find that motherboard now especially since the release of the newer Z370. Are you sure you can get that board if necessary?

I can't comment on the suitability of ASRock since I don't use them myself.

I can get it off newegg. It's not exactly cheap, but they say they've got it.

I'm totally open to running an expansion card to get my thunderbolt, but, as inexperienced as I am with this, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what cards will be compatible with what MBs.

Also, I would like to have multiple video outputs so I can keep my main session window open on one screen and my mix window open on another.

Well, if you can get that board, then I say go for it. To have multiple video outputs you can get a good graphics card for that. Do you have a preferred card in mind?

Well, if you can get that board, then I say go for it. To have multiple video outputs you can get a good graphics card for that. Do you have a preferred card in mind?

These are what I'm thinking about trying to use;

ASRock Z270 Supercarrier
ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel

Kaby Lake i7
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

GeForce GTX 750
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N75TD5-2GI 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

Corsair H55 Cooler
CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm

Corsair RM650x PSU
Refurbished: Corsair Certified RMx Series RM650x 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular Power Supply (CP-9020091-NA/RF)

Am I missing anything super obvious, all you seasoned vets?

I'm still deciding what I'm going to do for a case and drives

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back