Contribute
Register

First Build - AE/3D/Video rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok new question:
It seems that there are relatively few MOBOs that are still findable and cheapish that have eSATA ports.

1) Is eSATA on a mobo generally reliable for Hacks?
2) Am I better off getting an eSATA card?

-J

Right now this is the one I'm thinking about: GA-Z77X-UD3H. $159 on newegg.

Wait, damnit, that one is Z77.
Ok, guess my best bet is the $149 GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3. It HAS onboard FW, but I'm just getting it for the eSATA.

jcrowel1 said:
Right now this is the one I'm thinking about: GA-Z77X-UD3H. $159 on newegg.

Which also begs another question...what about PCIe 2 vs 3?

I've never had a problem with eSATA but I don't use it very often. The UD3H isn't the best choice since it has a Via audio chip.

So...does that mean I'm back to the $200 Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4? I can't seem to find another board that has eSATA and is actually particularly available anywhere.

jcrowel1 said:
So...does that mean I'm back to the $200 Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4? I can't seem to find another board that has eSATA and is actually particularly available anywhere.

Are you able to get the Z68X-UD3H-B3?

Yes, yes, yes, I should buy that one. I'm swimmin in mobos here and getting VERY confused by Gigabyte's wonderful naming system.

OK! I got all my parts, thanks to all the great help on this forum. I'd like now to doublecheck that my plan to get this thing up and running makes sense. I'm basically planning to use this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32306 (with the UNIBEAST method).

Questions:
1) I had read somewhere something about only putting in one stick of RAM at first...does that apply?
2) I have the GTX 570 -- do I have to worry about KEXTS or anything? Should it work OOB with the multibeast setup above?
3) If there is a more general guide to doing this stuff, where can I find it?

Thanks again! I apologize if this isn't the right forum section for this.
-Justin

jcrowel1 said:
OK! I got all my parts, thanks to all the great help on this forum. I'd like now to doublecheck that my plan to get this thing up and running makes sense. I'm basically planning to use this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32306 (with the UNIBEAST method).

Questions:
1) I had read somewhere something about only putting in one stick of RAM at first...does that apply?
2) I have the GTX 570 -- do I have to worry about KEXTS or anything? Should it work OOB with the multibeast setup above?
3) If there is a more general guide to doing this stuff, where can I find it?

Thanks again! I apologize if this isn't the right forum section for this.
-Justin

The ram limitation is not an issue with Lion installs. The 2nd build in my signature uses some of the same hardware as yours and there is a multibeast guide.

Oh man that's exactly what I needed! Thanks!

And great build by the way. I love that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back