Contribute
Register

First Build, about to buy the parts! What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Nvidia 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey! Long time reader, first time poster. Also, after decades of being a Mac user (and Sysadmin), i'm making the jump to a gaming hackintosh. So, here's my final build, and the questions after that :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Case Format - Mini-ITX (Thermaltake Core V1)

Motherboard - Asus Z170I Pro Gaming

CPU - i7 6700 or i7 6700K

Cooler - Intel Stock Cooler (any ideas for a better, and more important, SILENT cooler?)

RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill RipJaws V

HD1 - 500GB Samsung EVO 850

HD2 - Western Digital 1TB HD

PSU - 550W Modular Corsair RM550x

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB GDDR5 or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB GDDR5

Apple Keyboard - 55 (Review

MX Master - 76 / Steelseries Rival 300 - 65

Monitor - 280 (AOC G2460PF) / 320 (LG 24UD58-B 4K)

First of all, what do you think? I like it!

1) I tried to keep it as "Mac-like" as i could, with everything working out of the box or with minimal work. Is this correct?. My main concern when building this was to, within budget, buy the less conflictive, easier to install/update configuration.

2) Any recommendations for a more silent, better cooler?

3) I have more than one choice for some parts, any ideas?

I will be virtualizing a lot, that's why i went straight for the i7 and the 32GB. Besides that, i will probably game a bit and will probably install Windows and Linux on other partitions, for work stuff.

Thanks for your help!

The parts look fine. I have been using an Asus motherboard for my hackintosh (albeit different model than what you've chosen) and have been extremely happy with it. I think the Z170I Pro Gaming should be very nice.

Take a look at the Noctua heatsinks. They are regarded by many to be the best out there. Remember, the i7-6700K does not include a heatsink.

I have VMware Fusion running on my system. I use it to run my "Bootcamp" Windows installation virtually so I don't have to boot in to it if I don't want to. It works perfectly with very good performance. Although I have not tried to Linux in a virtual machine, I don't think you would have any problems doing so.

Is there anything that i know WON'T work on this build? For example, Audio, Wifi, Bluetooth, or anything that may require additional hardware.

I don't know what chipset is used for Wifi/Bluetooth. If it's Intel, you will have to swap out the card for one that's compatible.

Looks like the Wifi is a Broadcom. As for sound, It uses a proprietary system called "SupremeFX", and i can't find the bluetooth thing.

My alternative is MSI Z170I GAMING Pro AC, but i think that one uses Intel. Maybe someone's familiar with these two MoBo?

Also, can i just buy a bluetooth/wifi bundle in case it doesn't work?

Broadcom has a very good chance of working.

The audio is Realtek ALC1150 and supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back