Contribute
Register

First ASUS Z77 Thunderbolt Motherboards Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds about right.... regret buying these displays, but not gung ho about selling 'em either... just waiting in limbo on a desktop solution - mac pro, hackintosh.... or ultimately even a '12 iMac if that's what it comes to (blech)..

There's nothing wrong with the displays. If I were you, I'd simply invest in a graphics card with a pair of DisplayPort connectors and get the correct cables, as any Thunderbolt port will accept a mini DisplayPort input. That makes a lot more sense to me than waiting for one of these boards that may or may not work. Something like a Radeon HD 6870 will do the job, and if you're in the US, they can be had for $160 or less with rebate these days.
Something like this would do the trick http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161396
That said, you might want to aim for a slightly more expensive 2GB card due to the high resolution of those displays if you do anything 3D related, as they'll chew away on texture memory, so this $190 (after MIR) card might be a better option http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563

thelostswede said:
There's nothing wrong with the displays. If I were you, I'd simply invest in a graphics card with a pair of DisplayPort connectors and get the correct cables, as any Thunderbolt port will accept a mini DisplayPort input. That makes a lot more sense to me than waiting for one of these boards that may or may not work. Something like a Radeon HD 6870 will do the job, and if you're in the US, they can be had for $160 or less with rebate these days.
Something like this would do the trick http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161396
That said, you might want to aim for a slightly more expensive 2GB card due to the high resolution of those displays if you do anything 3D related, as they'll chew away on texture memory, so this $190 (after MIR) card might be a better option http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563

That definitely doesn't work, a thunderbolt port (on say a macbook pro) is backwards compatible w/ any displayport display...

but a thunderbolt display is not backwards compatible and will only work w/ a thunderbolt port... maybe if i opened the display up and circumvented the thunderbolt controller lol, but obviously i'd sooner sell it than do that.

thelostswede said:
If I were you, I'd simply invest in a graphics card with a pair of DisplayPort connectors and get the correct cables, as any Thunderbolt port will accept a mini DisplayPort input.

Absolutely incorrect.

As for the whole Thunderbolt thing, I'm most probably going to decommission my 27" Cinema Display + fake Mac combo once the replacement for the Mac Pro/iMac comes around. Thunderbolt and the promise of daisychaining fast mass storage and many screens without multiple add in cards and myriad cables all over the shop is worth the premium of the Apple tax.

That, and the fact that I really can't be arsed fannying about with bootloaders, kexts and ropey patches once Mountain Lion hits.

ectoplasmosis said:
thelostswede said:
If I were you, I'd simply invest in a graphics card with a pair of DisplayPort connectors and get the correct cables, as any Thunderbolt port will accept a mini DisplayPort input.

Absolutely incorrect.

As for the whole Thunderbolt thing, I'm most probably going to decommission my 27" Cinema Display + fake Mac combo once the replacement for the Mac Pro/iMac comes around. Thunderbolt and the promise of daisychaining fast mass storage and many screens without multiple add in cards and myriad cables all over the shop is worth the premium of the Apple tax.

That, and the fact that I really can't be arsed fannying about with bootloaders, kexts and ropey patches once Mountain Lion hits.

lol, would totally swap you if we were 5,000 miles closer to each other... would not recommend these displays though, if your needs change you end up stuck in this incompatibility bubble which i can attest to pretty much blowing...

Gigabyte will also be releasing z77 boards with thunderbolt and integrated intel USB3 at Computex on June 5-6

r.

For anyone who cares, Apple routes video signal from the dedicated card then through the port by copying the entirely processed video signal from the dedicated GPU's framebuffer into the integrated framebuffer, which dispatches the signal through the thunderbolt IC and out to the port. Early models of Macs with hybrid graphics used muxer chips that physically switched the port's wirings from one GPU to the other.

tonymacx86 said:
The reviews on Apple's site for the Thunderbolt Display are all over the place

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC914LL/A

Some love, some hate, some recommend a Dell monitor. :p

If Apple would just give me a wicked piece of hardware to use them w/ I could easily be swayed back into the love camp.... but I'm starting to wonder if that will ever happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back