Contribute
Register

First ASUS Z77 Thunderbolt Motherboards Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
I very much doubt it'll work, as Windows is most likely seeing the Thunderbolt port as a DisplayPort and as Thunderbolt only support DP 1.1... there's no support for daisy chaining as you need DP 1.2 for that...
From what I've read, TB is seen simply as PCI Express in Windows and from what I've heard, Intel doesn't give a crap about releasing a driver and is even making some of the chip vendors tweak their drivers to make their products work with Thunderbolt rather than the other way around... go figure...

well, If you watch that video, it looks like windows has learned...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5829/a-fi ... s-z77agd80

cheers
C

Learned what? Windows has always been able to daisy chain thunderbolt devices (w/ caveats of no hot plugging) just not two thunderbolt displays... His explanation pretty much makes sense as to why you can't have 2 displays.. Oh it is worth mentioning Windows does detect other aspects of the second display (sound etc) just the second one doesn't light up.... I think he is probably right (unfortunately for me)

i can understand that thanks to the Intel Ivybridge CPUs and the Z77 Chipset that we are Thunderbolt ready and it's great to see Asus and MSI releasing these Z77 mobos with a TB port however what puzzles me is that Macs have had TB running along side a Sandybridge CPU :think:

Why then can't we have TB on the Intel X79 Chipset Mobos along with the Sandybridge-E :?:

thelostswede said:
Wow, talk about utterly crappy hardware design if that doesn't work.
Got to love Apple...

It's got nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with how Thunderbolt works.

it is a joke, it will come down in a couple years, maybe even next.

axedye said:
it is a joke, it will come down in a couple years, maybe even next.

Couldn't care less about the price, the joke is the functionality at this point.... apparently Anandtech updated their preview of the board w/ this at least "Update: Intel has informed us that we will see updated drivers for Windows certified Thunderbolt devices that will enable hot plugging under Windows as well as address some of the behavior we've seen. Intel further informed us that MSI's board has not yet made it through the certification process and a lot of these teething issues will hopefully be addressed by then."

I need more specifics to consider it.

I didn't look at it that way. I'm almost positive that I am just going to pick up a Z77x-UD5H with WiFi. I wont be running OS X however, just Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back