Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I checked it long back

but I couldnt follow some parts

:D

I did it

:D

My firewire ports are enabled now.

No more "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full secure"

Had installed FCP

Its working fine

FCP?

Care to elaborate, just in case.
As this could be a huge help to anyone else that has the same problem.

Please people, IF you fix something, try to explain in as much detail as possible as to what it was you did to fix the problem.

Ok

I made a clean install by following Tonys Boot cd method

Noticed that whenever I boot from cd I have no issues with
audio, installed voodoo hda kexts.

But when I boot from hdd the audio was disabled.
Ntfs 3G drivers stopped working.
Saw this error " boot hits below threshold limit... (some numbers)

Again with cd boot everything works fine.

So I started checking the kexts, removed and installed again
ran kext utility and restarted with boot cd..

Firewire security error didnt appear.

Once I got to desktop I checked System Profile , saw
FireWire Bus: Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Then I searched the whole tree in IORegXplor and found that
both my onboard and pci device were active. Thats it.

Proceeded towards installing FCP

"I havent checked video capture via fw ports"

onboard P55-UD4P firewire 400 works fine for me, but my PCIe firewire 800 card doesnt work?

disks will mount but i get horrible speeds and disks unmount for large file copies. also i have to put it into the x16 slot instead of x1. any thoughts or ideas?

If you put it in the x16 slot, then you're cutting the bandwidth in half for the graphics card.

I'm trying out an 800 card for a mate that I'm building a system for, but I have nothing to hook it up to...

It seems to be working fine from what I can tell. Did you connect power to your card?
The card I have is from a Taiwanese company called Uptech http://www.uptech.tw/product_detail.php?prod_id=449 (the page is in Chinese) and at least this model needs power to work properly on the 800 ports (they're 12V after all).

i have tried with a molex in x16 and x1, but will try again soon. i dont know what card i have, its from eBay and has 2x800 + 400, TI chipset and molex power.

might be screwed?

Possibly, but unlikely.
You should have a couple of x1 slots you can try it out in.
Do you have any other OS on the system and if so, does it work under it as it should?
The one I've got here has an LSI chip, but it's detected as something else, can't remember what right now though :think:

I've been wanting to buy a firewire 800 card for my hackintosh, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 with i5 750 CPU, and so I'm curious too if you can get your firewire 800 card working as I'm trying to evaluate if it's worth buying (and which card to buy).

I found this thread on insanelymac: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t108369.html that might help.

People in that thread experience similar slow speeds with firewire, but if you look later in the thread, posters "phi" and "Kyle Gilman" were able to attain firewire 800 speeds. Kyle mentions he bought a particular firewire card to fix the problem (a StarTech model PEX1394B3) whereas phi states that it was a software issue and that it was just a matter of finding a particular kext file, although he does not remember which one. =/

I can suggest cards from this manufacturer

http://www.adstech.com/products/API-811/intro/API811_intro.asp?pid=API-811

you get cards for various slots also it comes with TI chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back