Contribute
Register

Fenvi T919 BT & WiFi Working, But No Airdrop, Handoff, or Universal Control on Z77 + Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H - OpenCore
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
HD 7950
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Recently updated to a Fenvi T919 and the Bluetooth and WiFi are working out-of-box as expected, but I can't get any of the related networking features to work.

Airdop can be enabled, but nearby devices won't show up, and my Hackintosh doesn't show up on my iPhone or MacBook. All devices have been set to "discoverable by Everyone". Also, the Hackintosh will show up in the Bluetooth menu on my Macbook and iPhone, and vice versa, but none of the devices can make the connection. Bluetooth headphones however, pair without issues.

Universal Control cannot be enabled -- the checkbox for "Allow your pointer to move between any nearby mac" flickers and remains unchecked when I attempt to check it.

Have tried adding BlueToolFixup.kext and FeatureUnlock.kext.

This is a fresh build using OpenCore. Followed Dortania's guide and created custom USBPorts.kext + SSDT-EC/PM/IMEI. Aside from these features, bluetooth and wifi are working flawlessly. Any ideas on what's causing this?

SMBIOS: MacPro6,1
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU: Intel 2700K (Sandy Bridge)
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 7950 (for some reason this is listed as 8950 in System Report)
SSD: Samsung Evo 870 1Tb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 Gb
Network: Fenvi FV-T919

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 56
Recently updated to a Fenvi T919 and the Bluetooth and WiFi are working out-of-box as expected, but I can't get any of the related networking features to work.

Airdop can be enabled, but nearby devices won't show up, and my Hackintosh doesn't show up on my iPhone or MacBook. All devices have been set to "discoverable by Everyone". Also, the Hackintosh will show up in the Bluetooth menu on my Macbook and iPhone, and vice versa, but none of the devices can make the connection. Bluetooth headphones however, pair without issues.

Universal Control cannot be enabled -- the checkbox for "Allow your pointer to move between any nearby mac" flickers and remains unchecked when I attempt to check it.

Have tried adding BlueToolFixup.kext and FeatureUnlock.kext.

This is a fresh build using OpenCore. Followed Dortania's guide and created custom USBPorts.kext + SSDT-EC/PM/IMEI. Aside from these features, bluetooth and wifi are working flawlessly. Any ideas on what's causing this?

SMBIOS: MacPro6,1
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU: Intel 2700K (Sandy Bridge)
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 7950 (for some reason this is listed as 8950 in System Report)
SSD: Samsung Evo 870 1Tb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 Gb
Network: Fenvi FV-T919
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

There is nothing obviously wrong in your EFI.

There are a few areas where the EFI could be cleaned up, and a couple of redundant kexts removed (AppleALC.kext & BlueToolFixup.kext).

You shouldn't need AppleALC.kext as you have RealtekALC.kext in the /OC/Kexts folder and it is also named in the config.plist.

With a Broadcom WiFi/BT card such as the Fenvi T919 you shouldn't need any helper kexts, such as BlueToolFixup.kext.

You are missing the kext to activate the Intel Ethernet port, your motherboard has 2 x Ethernet ports. You are currently only activating the Atheros Ethernet port. Adding IntelMausi.kext to your /OC/Kexts sub-folder and a companion entry for the kext in your config.plist would allow both Ethernet ports to work in macOS. Copy of the IntelMausi.kext v1.0.7 is attached below.

The area where I would look to resolve your Bluetooth issues is in your USBPorts.kext.

Looking at your USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist I would wonder if the Bluetooth header connection is set correctly. I am assuming you have the bluetooth module/cable connected from the PCIe card to a spare Motherboard USB header, as that is the normal way to connect the Bluetooth when using a Fenvi T919 card.

You only have 2 x ports set as Internal (255), PR11 and PR21, neither of which are physical ports. If my memory is correct these are both Hubs serving the EH01 and EH01 controllers and are always shown as being active. They do not become active/inactive by the insertion or removal of a USB pen drive from any of the Rear I/O, case front or motherboard header ports.

These two Hubs also have different naming conventions compared to the physical ports. These two are set with 'UsbConnector', whereas all the other ports are set with 'portType'.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.10.57.png UsbConnector shown for PR11 & PR21

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.11.11.png portType shown for all other ports.

Your USBPorts.kext also has an anomaly regarding the USB power settings. These are reproduced for each USB Controller, so once each for EH01, EH02 and XHC. But all three do not match, this is the anomaly.

I would expect all three power sections to match, but the EH02 power settings are different from the other two, as shown below.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.05.06.png EH01

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.05.20.png EH02

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.05.29.png XHC

These are the USB ports available from your Gigabyte Z77-UD5H motherboard.

Chipset:
  1. Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (available through the internal USB headers)
  2. Up to 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
Chipset + 2 VIA USB Hubs:
  1. Up to 8 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

I would suggest you have a look in Hackintool > USB tab and/or in your IOReg to see which port the Bluetooth module is connected to, as it is likely to be one of EH02 > HP21-HP26 ports and these are all set with connector type USB2 (0).

Your motherboard only has 2 x USB2 physical ports on the rear I/O plate, so 4 x ports under the EH02 controller that are set as USB2 (0) should be set as Internal (255), as they are devices or case front ports served from the 2 x USB2 motherboard headers, not physical USB2 ports.

If a device or case port is connected to a Motherboard Header it should be set as 'Internal' with the portType (255).

There is only 1 x port active under the EH01 controller, HP15 which is set as USB2 (0) portType.

The 6 x XHC ports active in your kext are all set as USB3 (3) portType, which is expected.

Your USBports.kext is only activating 13 x physical/virtual ports, as PR11 and PR21 are taking the place of the other 2 x ports you could activate in their place and still remain within the 15 port limit.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IntelMausi.kext.zip
    58.9 KB · Views: 28
Hope this helps.

Thank you for this breakdown, it was extremely helpful -- made some progress, but still having trouble

Kext Removal & Additions
  • Audio - Keeping RealtekALC.kext and removing AppleALC.kext killed the audio, so I put it back in for now.
  • Bluetooth - Removed BlueToolFixup.kext without issues.
  • Ethernet - My second Ethernet port will not activate with IntelMausi.kext or with AppleIntelE1000e.kext, which is what I've used in the past. Remember reading somewhere that Intel ethernet lost support with recent macOS versions, but can't confirm. Open to further suggestions, but it's not a big deal if I only have 1 ethernet port + WiFi.

USB Mapping
  • There are two USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard: F_USB1 and F_USB2.
  • I am using F_USB1 for the T919, and the card shows up as EH01 - HP15 in Hackintool. When I tried F_USB2 it showed up as EH01 - HP17.
  • I wasn't clear on what to do, but setting EH01 - HP15 to Internal disabled bluetooth. However, when I set the "USB 2.0 Hubs" (EH02 - HP25 & 26) to Internal, I was able to get AirDrop to work.
  • Airdrop works without issues now, but I still can't activate Universal Control.
  • I've attached a screenshot from Hackintool. My keyboard is plugged into XHC - HS03, but aside from the bluetooth card nothing else is connected, so the 8 highlighted lines are what's loading on boot.

USB Power Settings
  • Is the solution here to simply change the values for EH02 kUSBSleepPowerSupply & kUSBWakePowerSupply from 4700 to 5100 so that they match EH01 and XHC, or is there more to it?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 40
Audio:
  1. When adding the AppleALC.kext back in to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder did you add a companion config.plist entry to enable the AppleALC.kext?
  2. Did you remove the RealtekALC.kext and its companion config.plist entry, as you shouldn't have both of these kexts active in your setup. One or the other only.
  3. AppleALC.kext is the preferred option. But as you didn't have the companion config.plist entry for AppleALC.kext in your config, I assumed you had your Audio working with the RealtekALC.kext (old method for getting audio working on a hack).
Ethernet:
My Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H motherboard had the same setup with two Ethernet ports, same ports as your motherboard.

IntelMausiEthernet.kext or IntelMausi.kext (newer creation) worked to activate the Intel Ethernet port. The kext I provided above came from the Hackintool Kexts folder for the same i219 controller.

OC Kext entries in config.plist:
I am wondering if you are adding the companion config.plist entry for the kexts you are adding to your OC setup. OC is not the same as Clover where you can just copy a kext to the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and the bootloader does the rest. Without the companion entry for the kext in the config.plist OC will not use the kext.

USBPorts.kext:
I assume you copied the EFI Folder from Robbish's Z77-UD5H guide and that is where the USBPorts.kext originated.

Yes, just change the USB power entries to match the other two.

HP15 is set as USB2 (0) because Robbish had a singe USB2 case front port connected to this header.

He had his Bluetooth module connected to the other motherboard USB2 header and that header used HP21, which is present in your USBPorts.kext but also set as USB2 (0). Nether of these ports should be set as USB2 (0). They should both be set as Internal (255) as that is the physical port they are connecting to, not a physical USB2 ports like those on the rear I/O plate.

This marked up image showing the rear I/O plate for your motherboard and documenting the case front ports and bluetooth module connection should be the basis for your USBPorts.kext. Things change when people use different cases, as the front USB ports may not be the same, and you may choose to connect them to different headers on the motherboard.

Z77-DS3H Back Panel diagram copy.png
So if your case has 2 x USB3 physical ports, not only would you be using SSP1/HSP1 as shown above, but you are also going to be using SSP2/HSP2 for the other USB3 case front port. The USB3 header can provide up to 4 x USB ports (2 x USB3 physical and 2 x USB2 virtual).

Similarly if you have more than one USB2 case front port or a USB2 card reader, you would probably need to activate the second port from the header, likely to be HP16, to get that port working.

For your setup you need to edit and adapt the EFI from Robbish's post, which I see you have also posted in recently.

I would recommend you post a copy of the following elements:
  1. System DSDT.aml
  2. Current EFI, with the Serial Number removed from the config.plist
  3. IOReg
With the above we will have a better idea of what you are using and how thing are configured.

You can obtain a copy of your DSDT.aml from Hackintool > Utilities tab > Dump ACPI tool/icon

You should follow this old guide for creating a copy of your IOReg.

Use the version of IORegistryExplorer linked in the guide above.

While Robbish has done a good job with the guide he created, it is not perfect. There are entries in the EFI that I would not agree with, were I setting up an OC EFI for the same system.

Do you have access to macOS Catalina drive that you can boot on this Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge system?

As dropping back to Catalina may be the best option for getting your USBPorts set correctly. The reason I am recommending using a Catalina installation is that the OC XhciPortLimit quirk works in Catalina. It stopped working in Big Sur 11.3 and anything newer. It is much easier to configure the USB ports for a system with the XhciPortLimit quirk working.

Audio:
  1. When adding the AppleALC.kext... did you add a companion config.plist entry...
  2. Did you remove the RealtekALC.kext and its companion config.plist entry...
  3. AppleALC.kext is the preferred option...

Audio
  • I've been updating config.plist entries when adding/removing kexts, but after reading your 3rd point I removed RealtekALC.kext and kept AppleALC.kext -- now Audio works without the redundant kext!
    • Have used Realtek in the past but looks like its no longer supported.
Ethernet
  • Noticed the lights on the Intel port don't activate like the Atheros port does during pre-boot (before OC loads).
    • Is it possible there's a bad controller, or maybe there's something in BIOS that needs to be changed?
    • What version of macOS is your Z97 running?
USB
  • The Robbish & Dortania guides were starting points for this OC build, but Robbish has an Ivy Bridge (vs Sandy) and the back of the DS3H is very different from the UD5H, so I built my EFI from scratch (SSDT-EC/IMIE/PM, USBPorts.kext and config.plist).
  • I've created and attached similar USB Mapping schematics for the Z77X-UD5H.
  • Don't have access to Catalina (upgraded from High Sierra), but the XhciPortLimit quirk seemed like it was working when I mapped USB.
    • The screenshot from my last post was taken after installing USBPorts.kext, so there are a lot of missing entries.
File Requests
  • How do I remove the Serial Number and the UUID from the IORegistryExplorer export?
    • Tried deleting these entries but they repopulate.
  • The current EFI that I've attached still contains the non-working IntelMausi.kext.
  • Just noticed a new folder in EFI that contains: APPLE > FIRMWARE > MP61.scap
    • Do you know what this is and how it got there?
  • DSDT.aml was dumped using OC-Debug / System Report method.
    • Forget exactly where, but I compiled DSDT.aml with SSDT-1 - 4.aml when building the ACPI folder. There are a lot of other ACPI files that were dumped in that process... is there any value to those files?
Z77X-UD5H Back.png

Z77X-UD5H Board.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 36
  • DSDT.aml
    45.4 KB · Views: 28
Logically if the Intel Ethernet ports lights are not active, then the port is most probably disabled in the bios.

According to the two annotated images, you are only using 12 of the 15 ports you could be using. Adding the 2 x USB2 virtual ports to the case front USB 3 physical ports and one of the rear bottom (right) USB3 ports would be a better config for your system. Obviously this is not mandatory but would provide a fuller use of the 15 port limit.

I will have a look at your EFI & DSDT.aml when I am on my Hack later today.

I will have a look at your EFI & DSDT.aml when I am on my Hack later today.
Really appreciate your help!

I ran some benchmarks and my scores are extremely low... wondering what else I have missed. Geekbench 5.0 scores are 350 single core and 1500 multi -- which are about 50% lower than comparable systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back