Contribute
Register

felbo's Build: Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 - i7 12700K - AMD RX 580

Hi felbo,
Thanks for your reply.
I just want to know, is the CPU setting on OpenCore for i7 and i9 are same?

Hi felbo,
Thanks for your reply.
I just want to know, is the CPU setting on OpenCore for i7 and i9 are same?
Does you system report the correct number of cores in “About this Mac” - System Report - Hardware?

Does you system report the correct number of cores in “About this Mac” - System Report - Hardware?
yes it does, 12 cores (8P and 4E cores)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 10.53.36.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 10.53.36.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 102
I think that data comes from a string in the config.plist of Opencore. Try looking at the System Report - Hardware. It is the lower left button on the screen capture window you posted.

I can’t get my system to show that info as stated in a previous post, but the System Report shows the right number of cores. I definitely would expect to see higher multicore results with the i9. My Geekbench scores with the i7-12700K were 1812 single-core and 13245 Multi-core.

I think that data comes from a string in the config.plist of Opencore. Try looking at the System Report - Hardware. It is the lower left button on the screen capture window you posted.

I can’t get my system to show that info as stated in a previous post, but the System Report shows the right number of cores. I definitely would expect to see higher multicore results with the i9. My Geekbench scores with the i7-12700K were 1812 single-core and 13245 Multi-core.
20 cores!..counting hyper-threads as cores. Shows hyper-thread as disabled also

but its nothing to worry about
see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/page-135

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 19.43.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 19.43.39.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
There are 2 kexts in the EFI, CPUFraind ands CPUFriendDataProvider. Maybe they provide some information that is CPU specific taht is holding the i9 back.

There are 2 kexts in the EFI, CPUFraind ands CPUFriendDataProvider. Maybe they provide some information that is CPU specific taht is holding the i9 back.
there is some confusion in the post here, i reply to wrong post 12:55 PM. FLP write to apu1501 I answered:lol: sorry..

@felbo - Hey, I just wanted to say thank you - for putting together this thorough guide for the Gigabyte Gaming X motherboard. In the end, it led to me to choosing the Gaming X to partner with my new i5-12600K CPU (knowing it was Hackintosh compatible). The USB diagrams also came in very useful to me.

Along with your guide, and CaseySJ's, I was able to make a smooth transition from my previous Z390 system, with no issues along the way. Plus, the i5-12600K is so much snappier in Windows and macOS, than my old i5-9600K :)

I just have a little contribution to make, regarding USB ports. When I was making my USBMap.kext, I noticed that HS03 mapped to the internal F_U32C (Front USB 3.2 type-C port?) on the Gaming X. From this, I assume that SS02 should be its USB 3.0 port equivalent.

Thanks again :thumbup:

@felbo - Hey, I just wanted to say thank you - for putting together this thorough guide for the Gigabyte Gaming X motherboard. In the end, it led to me to choosing the Gaming X to partner with my new i5-12600K CPU (knowing it was Hackintosh compatible). The USB diagrams also came in very useful to me.

Along with your guide, and CaseySJ's, I was able to make a smooth transition from my previous Z390 system, with no issues along the way. Plus, the i5-12600K is so much snappier in Windows and macOS, than my old i5-9600K :)

I just have a little contribution to make, regarding USB ports. When I was making my USBMap.kext, I noticed that HS03 mapped to the internal F_U32C (Front USB 3.2 type-C port?) on the Gaming X. From this, I assume that SS02 should be its USB 3.0 port equivalent.

Thanks again :thumbup:
Hello pbryanw,
I'm glad you figure out your build. Thanks for info about HS03 and SS02, I didn't have anything to fit in F-U32C so I ignored the port. F-U32C are 10Gbps. My simple Fractal case have only 2 USB A port in front, no USB C in front

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 21.40.23.png

Back