Contribute
Register

Feedback on Dirt Cheap Build for 7 year old (Gotta get her off my machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H170M-D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've done a few Hackintosh successful projects in the past, but I've always used recommended parts and builds to keep problems to a minimum.

Now, however, I'm looking to build a dirt cheap Hack for my daughter, mostly to get her off my current machine.

I've spent some time searching these parts on Tonymacx86 and was feeling pretty good about the choices (not from a performance point of view, but just for computability) until I looked at the hardware database. Now I'm a bit concerned.

So, please be brutal about problems getting this thing running (probably Snow Leopard, MAYBE Lion). I'm not too concerned about performance. When I eventually pry her off my machine, she sits at a mid-2007 Macbook Pro and plays games online without a complaint. Based on my few searches, this machine will wildly outperform that dinosaur. Aside from the OS and MS Office, there won't be much installed, stored or saved on the machine.

Board: Gigabyte GA H61M DS2
CPU: Intel Celeron G550
Video: Asus GT520 (Fermi)
RAM: 4 GB
SSD: 120 GB
Optical: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD
Case: Apex M1-008 w/250W PSU + SATA PS

Thanks in advance.

I've done a few Hackintosh successful projects in the past, but I've always used recommended parts and builds to keep problems to a minimum.

Now, however, I'm looking to build a dirt cheap Hack for my daughter, mostly to get her off my current machine.

I've spent some time searching these parts on Tonymacx86 and was feeling pretty good about the choices (not from a performance point of view, but just for computability) until I looked at the hardware database. Now I'm a bit concerned.

So, please be brutal about problems getting this thing running (probably Snow Leopard, MAYBE Lion). I'm not too concerned about performance. When I eventually pry her off my machine, she sits at a mid-2007 Macbook Pro and plays games online without a complaint. Based on my few searches, this machine will wildly outperform that dinosaur. Aside from the OS and MS Office, there won't be much installed, stored or saved on the machine.

Board: Gigabyte GA H61M DS2
CPU: Intel Celeron G550
Video: Asus GT520 (Fermi)
RAM: 4 GB
SSD: 120 GB
Optical: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD
Case: Apex M1-008 w/250W PSU + SATA PS

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the GPU, but everything else is compatible. I just wonder why you'd put a nice SSD in an otherwise cheap build. Seems like the odd one out, so to speak. Also, that PSU is a little on the low side for a build w/ a gfx card, but I think it'll work ok. If I had my own computer at seven years old.......

ruh roh...something went awry there on the board/case. Was looking at the mini form factor. Have to check to see where it went south.

On the SSD front, I have it laying around. No $$ put out to drop it in there...that capacity does me little good elsewhere so it would at least be in service.

TY both!

I gave serious thought to the Customac mini, but it prices out to about twice what I'd have in the proposed build. Granted performance would be better, but for the near future (2ish years at least) performance is a nonissue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back