Contribute
Register

Fan control by relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it does what you are saying then it's ok.
I couldn't read the specification at this board at the link you posted earlier cause it is in German language :)

MiniNG is a nice controller but I don't that it works in this case since fans need to be controlled by cpu temperature. I wouldn't try to stick those temperature sensors between cpu and heatsink.

mmaenpaa said:
MiniNG is a nice controller but I don't that it works in this case since fans need to be controlled by cpu temperature. I wouldn't try to stick those temperature sensors between cpu and heatsink.

There's no need to have instant fan ramping in response to CPU temps (which vary rapidly in relation to load if you're reading the onboard thermistor), if anything it's worse than a slow progressive curve with a more consistent sonic imprint more akin to a real Mac.

You can attach the sensors to one of the heatpipes on the CPU cooler for a more progressive response. I used a MiniNG in this way for a few years and it worked perfectly, you hardly noticed the fans ramp up as it was a very gradual increase in speed as opposed to the kind of sudden jarring increase in pitch you get with most cheapo laptops for example.

I eventually moved to 120mm-only fans running at a constant 500rpm. The temps are higher at load but they're well within spec and it's a fair tradeoff for an effectively silent system.

ectoplasmosis said:
mmaenpaa said:

There's no need to have instant fan ramping in response to CPU temps (which vary rapidly in relation to load if you're reading the onboard thermistor), if anything it's worse than a slow progressive curve with a more consistent sonic imprint more akin to a real Mac.

You can attach the sensors to one of the heatpipes on the CPU cooler for a more progressive response. I used a MiniNG in this way for a few years and it worked perfectly, you hardly noticed the fans ramp up as it was a very gradual increase in speed as opposed to the kind of sudden jarring increase in pitch you get with most cheapo laptops for example.

I eventually moved to 120mm-only fans running at a constant 500rpm. The temps are higher at load but they're well within spec and it's a fair tradeoff for an effectively silent system.

I know what you are saying, I have my systems watercooled and fans are controlled by water temperature which moves very slowly. If you think that temperature sensors connected to heatsink work ok then MiniNG is a good option.

The point is if he wants to spent that amount of money in order to find a solution at his problem. Otherwise he can buy new PWM fans.

Airbus320 said:
i wired 2 Mac pro Large CPU fans directly to the CPU header.

but to achieve that, i made up a double split YY cable.

as these fans are voltage controlled (set in GA's bios i.a.w voltage controlled),
i connect fan's VCC an GND direct to the PSU's 12V. (by DVM, it shows this line is drawing the most current)

the voltage controlled line and one of the rpm feedback line are the only two (well three. two control for each fan, and one rpm speed) fedback to the CPU FAN header.Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 8.24.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 9.42.53 AM.png

Yes Yes - @ Airbus this is along the lines Im talking about -
So if I understand correct - your connecting the current draw to the psu and just the control to the CPU header:
1. 12v and Ground to PSU
2. Sense and Speed control to Motherboard Fan Header

and Yes they are PWM fans I was incorrect (they are the original G5 fans) will this function the same as voltage controlled? (I dont know...... is PWM the same as voltage controlled?)

I have been playing around trying to get them to work and only One will work if I connect multiple fans to a single header - I believe thats because I connect the second RPM sensor

whiskeynipple0088 said:
Airbus320 said:
i wired 2 Mac pro Large CPU fans directly to the CPU header.

but to achieve that, i made up a double split YY cable.

as these fans are voltage controlled (set in GA's bios i.a.w voltage controlled),
i connect fan's VCC an GND direct to the PSU's 12V. (by DVM, it shows this line is drawing the most current)

the voltage controlled line and one of the rpm feedback line are the only two (well three. two control for each fan, and one rpm speed) fedback to the CPU FAN header.Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 8.24.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 9.42.53 AM.png

Yes Yes - @ Airbus this is along the lines Im talking about -
So if I understand correct - your connecting the current draw to the psu and just the control to the CPU header:
1. 12v and Ground to PSU
2. Sense and Speed control to Motherboard Fan Header

and Yes they are PWM fans I was incorrect (they are the original G5 fans) will this function the same as voltage controlled? (I dont know...... is PWM the same as voltage controlled?)

I have been playing around trying to get them to work and only One will work if I connect multiple fans to a single header - I believe thats because I connect the second RPM sensor

PWM = pulse width modulated, works by duty ratio of the controlled waveform, it is a squarewave output.

Voltage controlled is the speed in direct proportional to the DC input.

i believe the current drawn is mostly from the 12V line, as observed by the DVM, i can only speak for the Mac Pro fans. G5, i do not have them to test, i believe it would be similar.

but i connected two LARGE PWM fans to a single CPU FAN header without a double Y cable. that worked. but if drawing current is limited, try draw directly from the PSU.

Yes - Airbus - I believe the G5 and Mac pro fans are diff - I tryied your method and was not successfull - at this point I am looking for a fan controller that will control the fans (with only 2 wires - = and - , no rpm or sense - - - just voltage) by temperature

ectoplasmosis - yeah - I think the MiniNG - may be the way to go - sure is cheaper then replacing all the fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back