Contribute
Register

Exfat Storage Disk Filesystem corrupted, all data gone!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA X79S-UP5-WIFI
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hackintosh
1 ssd:IOS working ok! (Clover bootloader)
1 ssd: win 10 perfectly working
1 HD for storage, formatted as Exfat

i downloaded a big video and a pc game with ut*****t on iOS, saved all files on the storage HD,
restart, enter windows all files disappeared, the disk has to be formatted to be used, no trace of any file inside(this happened twice since now) if i go back to OS X the exfat storage disk is gone too...

i tried the first time and many other times to put and modify only little files on the storage HD (f.e. word files) with Win and OS X apps and that worked. But loosing twice gigabytes of data makes me very angry!
Shall I ask the seller a new storage HD, or am I doing' something wrong?????
HEEEEEELP!!

Last edited by a moderator:
exFAT is a file system designed for flash drives and has very little resilience.
This means that the slightest error can result in loss of data.
Sharing exFAT data between operating systems increases the risk of corruption and subsequent data loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

exFAT is a file system designed for flash drives and has very little resilience.
This means that the slightest error can result in loss of data.
Sharing exFAT data between operating systems increases the risk of corruption and subsequent data loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
Is there a safer alternative?

Is there a safer alternative?
How big is storage HDD? If 2TB or smaller, format GUID / MSDOSFAT with OS X disk utility or format FAT32 with your favorite disk management tool. You can also use command line diskpart tool in Windows, but the nowmal Windows GUI disk management system will refuse to format it anything except NTFS.

How big is storage HDD? If 2TB or smaller, format GUID / MSDOSFAT with OS X disk utility or format FAT32 with your favorite disk management tool. You can also use command line diskpart tool in Windows, but the nowmal Windows GUI disk management system will refuse to format it anything except NTFS.
It's a 1 TB HD, fat 32 does not accept files bigger than 4gb or am I wrong?

It's a 1 TB HD, fat 32 does not accept files bigger than 4gb or am I wrong?
How many files are you likely to have larger than 4GB? If you are storing/editing large video/audio files this might be a problem, but for general file storage it is not.
If you do need to store larger than 4GB files, then I would format the drive for the OS that has the most used app and use one of the 3rd party apps to write files from the other OS.

How many files are you likely to have larger than 4GB? If you are storing/editing large video/audio files this might be a problem, but for general file storage it is not.
If you do need to store larger than 4GB files, then I would format the drive for the OS that has the most used app and use one of the 3rd party apps to write files from the other OS.
I'll do that, the only doubt that struggles me is: having lost 2 times gbs of data is worth a try with OS X or NTFS format or may the HD be compromised and I'm gonna waste again time?
Only the future will know...
But as soon as i come out of this big nut (as we say here in italy) i'll let you know!

Use OS X disk utility security erase feature to write zeros to the platter 7 passes (takes a looooongg time)
Boot Windows, open a command window with admin privileges
type diskpart
type list disk
look at the disks listed and determine the HDD you want to clean - say it is disk 3
type select disk 3
it will verify it has selected the disk
type clean
when it says it is done, type convert GPT
when it is finished,
type exit
type exit
close the command window

Reboot to Windows if you want to initialize the drive and format NTFS
Robot to OS X if you want to initialize the drive and format it GPT+ for OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back