Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Exchange GeForce 680 GTX with Radeon Vega 56. Caveats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
E3-1245v2
Graphics
RX Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi.
I'm running my hackintosh (10.14.2) in the listet configuration since 2012 with a Geforce 680 GTX.
Now I bought a "MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC" because it was on sale and because it has native macOS Support.

When changing the GFX, is there anything to configure?

Right now I use Clover and the 680GTX works out of the box. So in my opinion, the Vega should too.

Is there anything I am missing here?

Install Lilu + WhateverGreen kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

Install Lilu + WhateverGreen kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

I was under the impression, that whateverGreen is only needed if there is no native support for the GFX.
Since there are macOS native drivers for the Vega 56, what is the value of adding whateverGreen?

I was under the impression, that whateverGreen is only needed if there is no native support for the GFX.
Since there are macOS native drivers for the Vega 56, what is the value of adding whateverGreen?
WhateverGreen isn't just for GPUs that do not have native support. Its for adding support for non-native GPUs and fixing various things for natively supported GPUs, ie... Multi-monitors support, fan issues, hardware encoding/decoding etc....

Hi Pavo.
I tried the Vega56 with and without WhateverGreen. Right now it makes no (visible) difference.
What does not work with the Vega56 is fan speed. It is always at max and VERY loud while in Windows 10 I do not hear the fan at all.

[EDIT] After several reboots and moving to "iMacPro1,1", the fan is finally not as lout but still audible and louder than in Windows 10. Guess I have to work it from here step by step.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back