Motherboard
Custom
CPU
Intel i5-6400
Graphics
Nvidia 740 SC 4GB DDR3
Hey All,

Hoping someone can help. I'm stuck

I've built a few Custo's over time. This is the first one with El Capitan and I have it all working using the Intel 550 graphics. I checked the Buyer's Guide and purchased the EGVA 740 SC 4GB model by clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing. No matter what I try, I can't boot with this card installed.

Here's my setup:
MSI Z170A PC MATE mobo
Intel i5-6400 Skylake
4GB DDR4 Ballistix Sport (enough to get started)
EVGA 740 SC 4GB DDR3 vid card
TP Link WiFi card (don't recall the model, but it's working and not a problem)
2 Toshiba 1TB HD's SATA
IO Gear Bluetooth 4.0 USB plug
DVD-R drive (detects as Superdrive and works fine)
I installed via the Installation Guide Instructions. Used MultiBeast afterwards and got everything working, but with the Intel 550, not the EGVA 740. Again, all was working fine. I originally used gestalt 14,0 (I may be mistaken on the 0, but it was a preset option).

The Problem:
After adding the 740, it appears to load fine initially, with the Apple logo and the loading bar progressing and then the screen blacks out, you see the monitor react as if the vid signal was dropped, but then I get the spiny loading wheel animation for a bit and then it disappears and I see the HD lights flashing and then the spiny loading wheel again and this just repeats forever.

Attempts:
I tried adding the following 1 by 1 to the Clover boot args: nvda_dev=1, nvdisable=1. I also tried various options in the Clover Graphics Injector menu. Nothing produces a different result. I read through many posts here and found that some said to use the gestalt 3,0 Mac Pro. So I pulled the 740 card (so I could boot into OSX) and then ran MultiBeast and reconfigured it to use 3,1 and chose to inject Nvidia. Again, same result described above.

Also, I want to add, that under Windows 10 (installed on the other HD), on this same hardware works fine.

If anyone has some empirical advice, I am very grateful!

Thank you -Bob

Last edited:
I'm attempting to do a clean install (starting from scratch) and I just get a black screen after the Apple logo and loading bar complete. It appears the monitor's signal gets dropped

Everything works if I use the built-in Intel 550 graphics. OSX El Capitan runs fine. However, using the EVGA GT 740 SC w/4GB vram does not (this card is on the latest Buyer's Guide), but the card in the same computer, works perfectly under Windows 10, so the GT 740 is working properly.

I'm really hoping someone knows how to get past this.

Setup:
MSI Z170A PC MATE mobo
Intel i5-6400 Skylake
4GB DDR4 Ballistix Sport (enough to get started)
EVGA 740 SC 4GB DDR3 vid card (purchased this from the latest Buyer's Guide)
TP Link WiFi card (don't recall the model, but it's working and not a problem)
2 Toshiba 1TB HD's SATA
IO Gear Bluetooth 4.0 USB plug
DVD-R drive (detects as Superdrive and works fine)

Last edited:
Hi,
I get the same issue.
Did you manage to get it solved?
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
Didzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back