Contribute
Register

error encountered while starting up the computer pausing 5 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist was malformed
On Mavericks 10.9.4 with Multibeast 6.4.2

According to Apple, that file contains the boot kernal settings, if it was malformed it could be problematic.
See:
Method 2: On-disk setting (persistent)
To select the 64-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

To select the 32-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Note: This setting is stored in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file and will take effect every time you start up from this disk. If you start up from a different disk, the setting on that disk, or the hardware default, will take effect.

For anyone coming here after a search, Bob's solution works for Yosemite as well, 10.10.1. :thumbup:

Details for the less advanced

Start the Terminal application, and copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64[/COLOR]

Press enter
Enter your admin password, press enter
Close the terminal window.
Open Disk Utility application
Select your startup disk
Click Repair Permissions
Reboot.

Hi

I have the same problem. I have one SSD and one HDD. On SSD is the yosemite, on HDD is the win8.
I had make a second partition under win8 with eases partition manager on HDD, for my files...and under yosemite, I had this second partition eraesed and make it to journaled partition. From that time I have this "5 second error".
When I pull out the HDD cable from the motherboard, and then boot into yosemite, then there is no more error message.

How can I resolve this problem?

Solution found in 2012 by makie100

type on terminal
sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386
Hit ENTER
Fix permissions [use Disk Utility] REBOOT
THAT's ALL

thanks worked for me :thumbup:

THis worked for me too...booted into SAFE mode and was able to open Terminal and fix it. rebooted and all is well. :headbang:

Did

in the terminal

Then did a permission check/fix of the system partition with Disk Utility

Did the job...

Thanks, this worked for me, i changed the kernel to 32-bit thewn back to 64-bit with

and repaired permissions,

now all is working great, thanks !

I tried this but it is not working

My cpu is capable of 64 bit.

It is i2500k.

Another thing to try :

Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
Delete the com.apple.Boot.plist.

Please read the Rules :
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

Thanks in anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back