Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
you shouldn't be seeing any progress bar at all, it will hang. that means the card is being initialized before Macos. try shutting your monitor off or unplug it and then turn your computer on, after you hear the fans on the RX card spin up then plug it back in.

you shouldn't be seeing any progress bar at all, it will hang. that means the card is being initialized before Macos. try shutting your monitor off or unplug it and then turn your computer on, after you hear the fans on the RX card spin up then plug it back in.

Oh I didn't mention that I have second monitor and I connect other cable to my HD 530. So I can't see progress bar thru HD 530. Then I can switch to RX 480 card for main use.

BTW I should know How to use two rX 480 properly.

Oh I didn't mention that I have second monitor and I connect other cable to my HD 530. So I can't see progress bar thru HD 530. Then I can switch to RX 480 card for main use.

BTW I should know How to use two rX 480 properly.

What are your Intel graphics settings? Do you have HD 530 or SKL CRB?​

Hi,
I just installed XFX RX480 according to instruction given in this thread (big thanks for help @Gigamaxx) and everything seems to be OK. Unfortunately, when I turn on the computer, there is no clover menu, I have black screen with blinking cursor, when it stop blink and I change display output to Radeon I can login to Sierra. What should I change to see clover at start of computer (and bios)?

Work on my H270 System !
螢幕快照 2017-03-17 下午7.38.02.png

I tried this method Carpentry but added the AMD9510Controller kext (added the AMDRadeonX4100 as well) but I was unable to get it to work. I had the original kext files in the extensions folder. for the find value I used 67EF1002 as thats the only value in there now, and replace with the same 67DF1002, had injectATI selected and FakeID set to 0x67EF1002. Can this method be updated to work in 10.12.3+, is there something else I should be doing differently?
Can you detail or screenshot the hex conversion thing for find and replace in clover - I can't seem to access the infoPlistPatch button unless I do. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 11.51.58.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 11.51.58.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.07.08.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.07.08.png
    371.7 KB · Views: 104
Think the infoplistpatch might be essential to this? Latest beta 16E191a - listing properly in sys report but 7mb :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.43.36.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.43.36.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 99
Can you detail or screenshot the hex conversion thing for find and replace in clover - I can't seem to access the infoPlistPatch button unless I do. Thanks.

I don't know, it didn't work for me so I went back to patching the kext files manually.

Hi,
I just installed XFX RX480 according to instruction given in this thread (big thanks for help @Gigamaxx) and everything seems to be OK. Unfortunately, when I turn on the computer, there is no clover menu, I have black screen with blinking cursor, when it stop blink and I change display output to Radeon I can login to Sierra. What should I change to see clover at start of computer (and bios)?
If you really read the thread, you would see that you cant access clover. that's how it works, no clover and the screen stays black till macOS initializes the card.

The weird thing is if I put any of these card in second PCIe slot (not in first one), even there is one card in the board, it is not working. (the same problem as hang in the boot progress bar 3/4 stage.)
I tried this too (one card in second PCIe slot) and noticed the same thing. I have yet to get my second card. Think its something about the Radeon needing a full 16x slot?

What are your Intel graphics settings? Do you have HD 530 or SKL CRB?
Did you ever get your 2nd RX card working Gigamaxx? You thought it was your Pentium or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

For MSI System (Z97, H81 )
Plug display connection to motherboard DVI, HDMI, VGA, or DisplayPort. Disconnect your HDD or SSD (hard drive) sata cable and start system. It should default back to BIOS screen. Go to "Settngs" and then select "Boot". Select GO2BIOS and choose "enable". Reboot and check for bios screen appearing on Motherboard video output.

The RX card won't show any bios settings if it has "metal" support, only the motherboard connection should show the bios screen.

I don't know, it didn't work for me so I went back to patching the kext files manually.

If you really read the thread, you would see that you cant access clover. that's how it works, no clover and the screen stays black till macOS initializes the card.

I tried this too (one card in second PCIe slot) and noticed the same thing. I have yet to get my second card. Think its something about the Radeon needing a full 16x slot?

Did you ever get your 2nd RX card working Gigamaxx? You thought it was your Pentium or something?

Now you understand why it is I use the kext mod over the clover injection methods, as Sierra changes these easy clover " ON THE FLY" patches break.

My 2nd card worked all the way up to 12.4 then my system crashed, I think it's the pentium in 12.4 that caused it. I just reloaded 12.0 and updated to 12.3 and it works. If you have working Intel graphics you might want to scramble them by adding a false Intel ID or ig platform I'd so that you get "display 7mb" and try the cards. However, my Haswell pentium has 1536mb and it is working. My Skylake mobo is a mATX board so crossfire really doesn't work as well as with the Haswell ATX 97 board. It only gives you a higher Luxmark benchmark, my Uningine or open gl apps scores are the same as with one card. So for compute power for photo/video rendering it may be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back